PDA

View Full Version : New Player to AC - What Game Should I Start With?

cthonias
08-31-2011, 12:43 AM
I finally bought a PS3 and I'm looking forward to trying out Assassin's Creed. The artwork, the premise, and its success have me really excited to try it.

Questions:

1. I read reviews that the first one is really repetitive. Would it be a bad idea if I skipped this one?

2. Cut scenes are not that big of a deal to me. Usually, I wish I can just skip past them. Are the cut scenes in this series that good?

3. Is Brotherhood basically "Assassin's Creed III"? I'm starting to get confused by all the names and I'm wondering how the series all fits together.

4. I like the idea of playing it on my PS3. How different is the PC version?

Thanks so much!

Calvarok
08-31-2011, 01:01 AM
The first one is kinda repetitive, but it's not really that long, and is worth starting on just for the way it presents the story.

Cutscenes are interactive in the first one (you can move your character during them), not interactive except for some button prompts at times in the second one, but still pretty good, and a lot better than either of those in Brotherhood, with no interaction required.

Cutscenes are a big deal in the game, but the characters are interesting and the story is addictive.

Brotherhood is not Assassin's Creed 3, it is a direct sequel to Assassin's Creed 2, that continues its story. Revelations is the same, a direct sequel to Brotherhood. Basically, they're like different episodes in one BBC series.

The first series (AC1) had only one episode, and a smaller spinoff for PSP only.

The second one has Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations, with guest appearances from the first season hero in Revelations.

The third season will be the conclusion of the main story that they've been driving towards, but after that there will still be so much to see in the AC universe. Expect more games after it, but with totally different characters and a different overall story structure.

cthonias
08-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Thank you, Clavarok!

I was struggling trying to sift through the different disconnected Assassin's Creed websites for the last few hours and you made everything so clear in about 2 minutes.

Your explanation made me even more intrigued about the storyline, too. I can't wait to try it!

Thanks again!

wapikas
08-31-2011, 03:06 AM
You should definitely start with first game. Storyline in AC series is very important and playing the first game helps to understand storyline in second, third and especially upcoming fourth game.
Plus, already great gameplay elements are improved a lot in next games. So when you start somewhere in middle (second or third) and get interested in storyline and want to play first game, it may feel like somewhat downgraded.
And yes first game is not that long if you don't collect any flags (I give you a hint, it is useless, you don't get any unlockables).
So have fun, and welcome to AC world

CRUDFACE
08-31-2011, 03:10 AM
even though I loved the combat in Ac1, AC2 is probably a better start off point in terms of gameplay, but if you want that FULL experiments of the times changing and the order going with it, go with Ac1 onwards. TBH you can just read on the wiki for the spinoff games.

POP1Fan
08-31-2011, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by cthonias:
I finally bought a PS3 and I'm looking forward to trying out Assassin's Creed. The artwork, the premise, and its success have me really excited to try it.

Questions:

1. I read reviews that the first one is really repetitive. Would it be a bad idea if I skipped this one?

2. Cut scenes are not that big of a deal to me. Usually, I wish I can just skip past them. Are the cut scenes in this series that good?

3. Is Brotherhood basically "Assassin's Creed III"? I'm starting to get confused by all the names and I'm wondering how the series all fits together.

4. I like the idea of playing it on my PS3. How different is the PC version?

Thanks so much!
Start with the first.If you start with the 2nd or Brotherhood the story will be very hard to follow.I have seen people on this forum that played all 3 games and they still can't fully understand it.
If you are more intrested in gameplay than story take Assassin's Creed 2.Best AC by far,nice feeling and everything.But if you realy want to try AC out, try both of them. There are good features in 1 that where replaced by others in 2 ...anyway any game you will chose is a great and quality game.

Assassin_M
08-31-2011, 04:52 AM
If you`ll follow the Story, start with AC I.
If you just want Gameplay then I`d say BH, it has the most features.
If you want Multiplayer then, Obviously, BH.
If you want a Decent, Historic story while skipping the Present time-line part, then I`d say AC II

NewBlade200
08-31-2011, 07:39 AM
AC1 is the best with the story and atmosphere but with the most repetitive gameplay.

ACB is the worst when it comes to story. It's gameplay is the most varied, but by far the easiest.

AC2 is sort of in between.

ShaneO7K
08-31-2011, 07:40 AM
It's always good to start from the beginning so get AC1 first, plus this way makes the story easier to understand.

Cutscenes are important in this game it helps with the story plus some are pretty good to watch.

Brotherhood is not AC3, it is just a continuation of AC2 and continues the story of Ezio. Same goes for Revelations it ends Ezio and Altair's (Ancestor from AC1) stories. AC3 should hopefully be the next one.

You should really just play on which one you find easier to use and prefer using.

All the games have great gameplay, only repetitive thing about AC1 are the investigations which really are not that bad.

waynedavies89
08-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Start from the beginning,
Ye AC1 can be repetitive, but thats now kind of its charm, plus it's much better playing and living it then read Wiki.

You get into the story more and watch the gameplay evolve.

plus AC1 is now really cheap

medcsu11
08-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Start with AC1 and work your way through them. They are all very cheap right now and you have time to do them all before ACR.

I have been switching all games to PS3 of late and paid 10 bucks for AC1 AND 10 bucks for AC2 at Gamestop so I know they are way cheap at this time.

SupremeCaptain
08-31-2011, 10:15 AM
I say start with AC2. You might appreciate AC1's feature's more if you start with it after Brotherhood.

AntiChrist7
08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
If once heared of an action by some retailer where ou get AC1 for free if you order revelations...

but OT: start with AC1, for several reasons

1) storywise, its a good explanation, youll understand things much better then reading them on the wikia (which you can do afterwards
2) its cheap
3) if you rush a bit (not doing all sidemissions or collecting all the flags) it wont take too long
4) by playing them in order you will fully appreciate all the improvements

SixKeys
08-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:
AC1 is the best with the story and atmosphere but with the most repetitive gameplay.

ACB is the worst when it comes to story. It's gameplay is the most varied, but by far the easiest.

AC2 is sort of in between.

I disagree on ACB's gameplay being the easiest. AC2 was definitely the easiest.

Anyway, I would recommend playing the games in order for the story. It gets pretty confusing the further you go if you haven't played it from the beginning.

jmk1999
08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by POP1Fan:
Start with the first.If you start with the 2nd or Brotherhood the story will be very hard to follow.I have seen people on this forum that played all 3 games and they still can't fully understand it.
guilty as charged... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif the story gets very confusing, particularly with all the characters it throws at you. really, i've just been going off the overall story and the names of most of the people and why they're doing things is just fluff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

itsamea-mario
08-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Starting with the first game seems pretty obvious.

Altair661
08-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Honestly, depending on how much you play, if you dont have enough money, you could just rent AC1, and buy AC2 and ACB, because other than the main story, AC1 has really nothing else to do. Whereas AC2 is alot longer and has alot of side missions and stuff, as well as ACB.

Jjfd99
09-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Start with Assassins Creed 1 of course! Its the first, then AC II, and BH, and AC:R(When it comes out)