PDA

View Full Version : OT: Don't Make Your Family Sick At Holidays!

tsisqua
12-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Well, here is my Christmas story:

We had been making plans for about a month to have my father-in-Law, my Sis'-in-Law and her husband, as well their kids, my dear niece and nephew, over for Christmas Eve.

Well, everything went pretty much as it usually does. My Bro' in Law wanting to play IL2, but won't listen to his flight trainer (same every year). The kids playing noisily, which is one of the sweetest sounds I have ever heard. Lots of good food and conversation. Just a nice time, in general.

It was about this time that my nephew, Zack (3 yo), started to expel the contents of his stomach onto the floor. My first thoughts, of course, are for him. We get him, and the floor cleaned up, and I learn that his sister was sick first the day before. AND that Zack had been throwing up ALL day.

Well, gifts were exchanged, well-wishes, etc. , and everyone was on their way home.

Christmas morning:
Beautiful time at home with my family! The kids got everything they asked for . . . a rare event. My daughter, Jade, is excited about something else, though. She can't wait for our Chritstmas evening drive to look at lights. This has become somewhat of a tradition, and Jade is the one that loves it the most.

Late Christmas Afternoon:
Jade doesn't feel well. She wants to make the most of it anyway. She would like to go to the Chinese restaurant to get the ultimate medicine, hot and sour soup. So we make ready to go on our Christmas evening excursion.

Christmas evening:
We are at the restaurant. Jade can't eat anything. All she can do is run to the bathroom. She becomes so ill, that I have to take her out to the car to lay down.

She doesn't want to look at lights anymore.

11:00 pm:
My son, Laramie, throws up. And throws up, and throws up, and throws up until the poor little fellow can only dry-heave, and he is still trying to throw up. At the same time that these kids are heaving, they are messing their pants as well since this seems to be a very bad intestinal bug. Jade is up and down constantly, and is as sick as I have ever seen her.

December 26, 2:00 am:
It has me. I am running a fever, and throwing up. I am aching in places that I didn't know that I had, and other than to get up to spill my guts, I cannot really move. There is a brand new built by ATI card in my machine that I wanted to play on, and I don't even care. (was a replacement for my other that went bad, not a Christmas present, although ATI giving me the 256 version to replace a bad 128 was as good as a gift http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

December 26, 9:00 am:
Wife has it. She is the kind of person that would rather die than throw up, so she was probably the most miserable of us all.

As I write this, I am so sore that I feel as though I have been beaten. Jade got better (sort of) first, and she tried to look after everyone else. I am very proud of her, especially now, because I know that she really wasn't feeling good while she was carrying us washcloths and water.

My wife is going to miss work this morning, and she probably feels well enough to go. She just doesn't want to wish this on ANYONE.

Now, I know that when plans have been made, especially for a very long time, we really dislike cancelling. It doesn't matter! People, who I know love us, came to our house with the equivilent of a loaded gun, and made us all wish that we were dead . . . at Christmas. I remember saying on Christmas Eve that this was the first holiday season in some time that I wasn't at least a little sick. Next year I am gonna keep my big mouth shut.

If you are sick, stay home. Don't go to work, school, parties . . . and don't take it to the people who love you.

Tsisqua

tsisqua
12-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Well, here is my Christmas story:

We had been making plans for about a month to have my father-in-Law, my Sis'-in-Law and her husband, as well their kids, my dear niece and nephew, over for Christmas Eve.

Well, everything went pretty much as it usually does. My Bro' in Law wanting to play IL2, but won't listen to his flight trainer (same every year). The kids playing noisily, which is one of the sweetest sounds I have ever heard. Lots of good food and conversation. Just a nice time, in general.

It was about this time that my nephew, Zack (3 yo), started to expel the contents of his stomach onto the floor. My first thoughts, of course, are for him. We get him, and the floor cleaned up, and I learn that his sister was sick first the day before. AND that Zack had been throwing up ALL day.

Well, gifts were exchanged, well-wishes, etc. , and everyone was on their way home.

Christmas morning:
Beautiful time at home with my family! The kids got everything they asked for . . . a rare event. My daughter, Jade, is excited about something else, though. She can't wait for our Chritstmas evening drive to look at lights. This has become somewhat of a tradition, and Jade is the one that loves it the most.

Late Christmas Afternoon:
Jade doesn't feel well. She wants to make the most of it anyway. She would like to go to the Chinese restaurant to get the ultimate medicine, hot and sour soup. So we make ready to go on our Christmas evening excursion.

Christmas evening:
We are at the restaurant. Jade can't eat anything. All she can do is run to the bathroom. She becomes so ill, that I have to take her out to the car to lay down.

She doesn't want to look at lights anymore.

11:00 pm:
My son, Laramie, throws up. And throws up, and throws up, and throws up until the poor little fellow can only dry-heave, and he is still trying to throw up. At the same time that these kids are heaving, they are messing their pants as well since this seems to be a very bad intestinal bug. Jade is up and down constantly, and is as sick as I have ever seen her.

It has me. I am running a fever, and throwing up. I am aching in places that I didn't know that I had, and other than to get up to spill my guts, I cannot really move. There is a brand new built by ATI card in my machine that I wanted to play on, and I don't even care. (was a replacement for my other that went bad, not a Christmas present, although ATI giving me the 256 version to replace a bad 128 was as good as a gift http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

December 26, 9:00 am:
Wife has it. She is the kind of person that would rather die than throw up, so she was probably the most miserable of us all.

As I write this, I am so sore that I feel as though I have been beaten. Jade got better (sort of) first, and she tried to look after everyone else. I am very proud of her, especially now, because I know that she really wasn't feeling good while she was carrying us washcloths and water.

My wife is going to miss work this morning, and she probably feels well enough to go. She just doesn't want to wish this on ANYONE.

Now, I know that when plans have been made, especially for a very long time, we really dislike cancelling. It doesn't matter! People, who I know love us, came to our house with the equivilent of a loaded gun, and made us all wish that we were dead . . . at Christmas. I remember saying on Christmas Eve that this was the first holiday season in some time that I wasn't at least a little sick. Next year I am gonna keep my big mouth shut.

If you are sick, stay home. Don't go to work, school, parties . . . and don't take it to the people who love you.

Tsisqua

stef51
12-27-2004, 06:25 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

I know the feeling... I'm stuck with a bad ear infection right now... Don't really care about Holidays.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Take care!!!

Stephen

Bearcat99
12-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Sorry to here that Pete..... hang in there bruh...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

knightflyte
12-27-2004, 07:14 AM
tsisqua,
I hope all get well quickly.

In the "fanboi thread" you said your wife was sick...I hope she is doing better. She definatly doesn't need a stomache virus NOW.

And, having an ear infection is the one of the worst pains you can experience. Hope THAT passes FAST. My sympathies to you. I used to get them ALL the time. I still remember burying my head in moms lap and crying it hurt so bad.

regards
Robert

tsisqua
12-27-2004, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightflyte:
tsisqua,
I hope all get well quickly.

In the "fanboi thread" you said your wife was sick...I hope she is doing better. She definatly doesn't need a stomache virus NOW.

And, having an ear infection is the one of the worst pains you can experience. Hope THAT passes FAST. My sympathies to you. I used to get them ALL the time. I still remember burying my head in moms lap and crying it hurt so bad.

regards
Robert <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, Robert. She just had surgery, and cannot lift or strain, so she had to do her best to not start heaving like myself and the kids. I at least had some relief for a few minutes after my stomach was emptied, but she had to just lay there and fight it. That is what I meant by her being the sickest of us all. Quite honestly, I do not know how she did it.

Tsisqua

DD_NL
12-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Uhm, did you trace back all the things that everyone ate and drank the day prior to the first person getting sick? This sounds more like a real bad case of food-poisoning to me.
I was sick like that once, I was sick for a week and had to take anti-biotics. Turned out I had been drinking some tap-water on a hot summer day (in California) because I had ran out of bottled water.

tsisqua
12-27-2004, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DD_NL:
Uhm, did you trace back all the things that everyone ate and drank the day prior to the first person getting sick? This sounds more like a real bad case of food-poisoning to me.
I was sick like that once, I was sick for a week and had to take anti-biotics. Turned out I had been drinking some tap-water on a hot summer day (in California) because I had ran out of bottled water. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I considered that. However, the symptoms were exactly the same as those suffered by my neice and nephew. We haven't heard from my bro', and Sis' in Law, but when we do, I thouroghly expect them to have gotten sick as well . . .

I once got food poisoning from a local restaurant. I didn't know anything for two days. I should have probably been hospitalized, but I survived. That was, without a doubt, the sickest I heve ever been in my adult life. I'll count my blessings that this wasn't that bad . . . but it was bad enough.

Thanks For The Well-Wishes, Mates!
Tsisqua

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-27-2004, 08:17 AM
As a father of 5, I can certainly feel for your Christmas experience. Similar occurences have happened in our household a few times as well...including Christmas time. And like you, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Hope all are better soon and you all can get to enjoying those Christmas gifts.

TB

Chuck_Older
12-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Yikes

get well soon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

tsisqua
12-27-2004, 10:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bird_brain:
Hi Tsisqua,
Sorry to hear you and your family got sick.

From your description, it sounds like a staphylococcus gasteroenteritis (Staph) outbreak. It can start from someone who has gotten the Staph bacteria into food from skin, hair, nose, throat or an infected cut. When Zack got sick, and you all helped to clean it up, someone probably did not wash up quite as thoroughly as necessary before preparing or serving your Christmas dinner. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Incubation is usually 2-4 hours but can be as long as 7. Symptoms are nausea, retching, abdominal cramps & diarrhea, & in severe cases like yours, headache, muscle cramping, & changes in blood pressure & pulse rate.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I teach a college culinary sanitation class @ school. It should go away in 2 or 3 days. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Sorry you got sick, but maybe you will feel a litle better knowing what it was. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, Jay!

It sounds as if you have nailed it. Between handling plates, gifts, then we had desert after the gifts were given out, such a thing could spread in this small dwelling like wildfire. I am feeling much better than I was a few hours ago, as a matter of fact. Now, I think it is time for a serious scrubbing of everything.

One question: Do you know if a reinfection is possible, so soon after getting it the first time?

Thanks, M8
Tsisqua

Red_Russian13
12-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Tsisqua;

Sorry to hear about this mate. You're right. If I were sick like that, I wouldn't be going to anyone's house. That stuff is like the plague.

Hope you and yours feel better soon...so you can enjoy your new ATI card if nothing else.

bird_brain
12-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi Tsisqua,

I was just editing my last post because I looked into it a little more. It sounds like some type of bacterial gasteroenteritis. There are about 6 or 7 different bacteria that can cause these symptoms (Staph, Bacillus, Campylobacter, Vibrio, etc.) Without knowing how Zack got sick, you would have to have a doctor do tests to tell you which one you have. When Zack got sick, and you all helped to clean it up, you probably accidentally got some of the bacteria into the kitchen. It may have gotten on something like a door knob or in the sink, or someone did not wash their hands thoroughly enough before preparing or serving your Christmas Eve dinner.

You could get reinfected if you get recontaminated, so make sure you sanitize all the bathrooms, the doorknobs and refrigerator handle, and anything you might have gotten the bacteria on. A mild bleach solution with warm(not hot) water would work well. (Hot water over 120 degrees F. kills bleach)

Red_Russian13
12-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Excellent advice bird_brain. Good to know everyone here's so helpful. Makes me glad to be back after taking some time off!

tsisqua
12-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Bleach it is, Mates . . . I don't want whatever it was here, ever again. It was was like having RBJ over for the holidays http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (jk)

Tsisqua

tsisqua
12-27-2004, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red_Russian13:
Tsisqua;

. . .

Hope you and yours feel better soon...so you can enjoy your new ATI card if nothing else. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm on that one right now, Red. I just had my first meal since Christmas a few minutes ago . . . pizza from the local pizzaria, and I can feel the power of the 9800 Pro flowing back into my veins http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Tsisqua

woofiedog
12-27-2004, 06:49 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gifGood Story... But also a Excellent Example of Stay at Home When Your Sick!
I work in a Hospital... this is the Best Medicine!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Hope You and Your Family is on the Mend's tsisqua!

repoman11
12-27-2004, 10:10 PM
I went and visited relatives for the holidays out of a sense of duty to my mother. She likes to spend Christmas at my aunt's house. It is cold and overcrowded, and almost four hours drive from here (foggy on the way there, driving rain on the way back). Once there, I found out that my aunt was suffering through a bad cold. If I had known that, it would have been a dealbreaker. But I didn't, and now I'm feeling one coming on myself. I'm probably going to miss work tomorrow, and I don't have paid sick leave. Merry Christmas?

PBNA-Boosher
12-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Tell that to my father, if you please.

He sent me to school with blood pouring out my ears once.

johann63
12-27-2004, 10:22 PM
that is the kind of christmas story I just hate to hear about. So sorry for the family sickness. There is nothing worse than stomach bugs going around the family.

Almost the exact same thing happen to my family couple Christmases ago. Caught the bug visiting family. Nothing worse than seeing your children throwing up christmas day, only knowing that it is coming your way.

Hope you guys all make a good recovery.

Now I am paranoid, heading on the road tomorrow to see extended family. Hope no one has the stomach bug...

F19_Orheim
12-28-2004, 04:39 AM
Sorry about this buddy. It actually sounds like something we have in Sweden every year which we call (roughly traslated) "winter vomit disease" (vinterkr√¬§ksjuka)... it's a welldefined stomach disease caused by calicivirus and for some reason it shows up it's ugly face between november-mars (winter in Sweden). So it could be a VIRUS rather than a Bacteria and as all of you got it I think this is more likely. It is really really contagious , it is enough with 10-100 virus to get it and the disease will break out in 1-2 days.

Symptoms are:
very powerful vomits
diarrhea
stomach ache
A little bit of fever
headache
muscleache

You will feel REALLY sick but it will pass after 2-3 days. Important to have a good hand hygien, wash them often, and don't rub your eyes or pick your nose.

You loose a lot of water/fluid and to get better quickly it is really important to replace the liquid you loose

Water/fluid replacement:
1 lit of water
3 tablespoons of sugar OR 2 tablespoon of icing sugar
1 teaspoon salt

dont drink to much at a time, that will make you feel sick and barf again. Take a mouthful every 2 minutes or so.

Get well

Wolf-Strike
12-28-2004, 12:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tsisqua:
Bleach it is, Mates . . . I don't want whatever it was here, ever again. It was was like having RBJ over for the holidays http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (jk)

Tsisqua <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow that was good there Tsisqua.Well I went on a cabin trip with 6 friends and all of us got extremely sick.We were vomiting and had diarhea at the same time.The cabin was a freaking mess with vomit everywhere and 6 people laying in beds moaning all day.It lasted for about 12 hours and was real bad .

At one point my friend had asked me if we would make it.No one had the nerve to drive back to a town we all felt that bad.

Well from all the vomiting and diarhea we were drinking gallons and gallons of water.Two guys that laid down in attic had filled up two huge coolers with vomit...no joking here.

Finally someone says hey it could be the water right....well we turn on the radio and lo and behold there was panic and a message for everyone to stiop drinking the well water as it was contaminated.We stopped and soon got well but I know how bad that feelshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

trumper
12-28-2004, 01:07 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gifWe have winter vomiting virus here,in fact it closes hospital wards on a regular basis.I am at the moment waiting for the worst to happen,i have just seen my nieghbour who has told us her sister in law and Family who visited the day before yesterday has come down with similar symptons.
If the kiddies are ill we are told NOT to send them to school for at least 48 hours after they feel better,yet how many times i have heard parents say that their kiddies were sick yesterday but they have taken them to school the next day. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Raptor_20thFG
12-28-2004, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tsisqua:

My
Tsisqua <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am terribly sorry for the way you felt Bro However I do love the way you wrote the story made me feel as though i was right there watching the whole thing

tsisqua
12-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Wow,

so many well-wishes, . . .

and so many with similar horror stories.

Wolf_Strike, that had to be <span class="ev_code_RED">AWFUL</span>!!! The thing that you needed the most, water, was the very thing that could have killed you all! I am happy that you survived to tell the tale, because if you all hadn't turned on the radio, well, it could have killed you, I am certain. As it was with me, There was a minute or two there when I actually wondered if I was going to make it as well.

Raptor, is Pirhanna still your CO? I thought for sure that I had met you when I started flying with the 20th, but I guess that I am mistaken. Nonetheless, it is so very good to meet you, Mate, and I look forward to the kids going to bed so I can check out your server http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Once again, the moral, as others have pointed out, is not to infect others when you are sick. Contrary to opinion, misery does NOT love company! (Or is it the other way around?)

Orheim, Buddy! Thank you for the fluid replacement recipe/remedy. I copied your post into notepad, and it will be a permanent part of my families emergency medicine.

Great big thanks to you all, my friends!

Tsisqua

Airmail109
12-28-2004, 04:45 PM
I had this for 5 days in Spain on Holiday which really annoyed me because there were so many hot girls about! Oh yeah try turning your heating down a little, just a thought. Its no the cold that brings on the bugs its the warmth. Id also suggest filling up on salt...always makes me feel better. You know i ahvent had any anti-biotics for 8-9 years now and i hardly get these kind of bugs now...well once a couple of years ago and like i said in spain (not used to there diseases lol)

JoachimvMayern
12-28-2004, 09:56 PM
I feel for you. I hate throwing up as well. If we have company over for Christmas or any other occasion and if anyone is sick, esp with something that has to do with throwing up, they stay home or we don't go. Better to miss out than to get sick.