PDA

View Full Version : My take on Assassins Creed. (by the way...I'm nobody)



mikenytro94
11-24-2007, 01:01 PM
This has got to be the hottest game I've ever played! Not since Tomb Raider has a game taken player control to the next level like this. I've spent many frustrating hours playing my favorite games, wishing I could do MORE MORE MORE with my character. Spider-man, Batman, Jedi, and plenty of other game heroes, should beg Altier for an ounce of his skills! This is what a game should look like from now on. I won't go as far as to call it perfect, but I won't complain about some of the minor issues that others are being mental about either. People who complain about things like the AI being crappy, or minor bugs, and others, either expect too much out of games( unreasonably ), or they are haters( most likley ). My only beef is with the main characters acting. He sucks! I gotta admit that almost took a point off of my scoreboard baby. Maybe I'm being unreasonable here when I feel we are at the point where, acting on video games should at LEAST be on a B movie scale. Just a thought. When I played Prince of Persia, I wished for a game like this. Now that it is here, I shall wish for another. One where instead of looking at that vast kingdom from above and gazing out to sea, we would be able cross that ocean in a ship, you know...play a real adventure of a game, blend the best elements of games like this one, Shadow of the Collossus, Oblivion...I could go on but I just get too excited when I get going. Anyhoo, I'm going to go ahead and back up my first statement, and say YES dammit, this is the best game I have played...EVER!!!

dsgt92d
11-24-2007, 01:11 PM
I have to say it is up there for me. Especially since I finished the game. At first I was like wow nice graphics and the free run is fun, then it got paced really well towards the end. I hate the fact that I can't exit out of the cut scenes, but being forced to watch them I followed the entire story line and will be anxiously awaiting the sequel.

lostassassin123
11-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by mikenytro94:
This has got to be the hottest game I've ever played! Not since Tomb Raider has a game taken player control to the next level like this. I've spent many frustrating hours playing my favorite games, wishing I could do MORE MORE MORE with my character. Spider-man, Batman, Jedi, and plenty of other game heroes, should beg Altier for an ounce of his skills! This is what a game should look like from now on. I won't go as far as to call it perfect, but I won't complain about some of the minor issues that others are being mental about either. People who complain about things like the AI being crappy, or minor bugs, and others, either expect too much out of games( unreasonably ), or they are haters( most likley ). My only beef is with the main characters acting. He sucks! I gotta admit that almost took a point off of my scoreboard baby. Maybe I'm being unreasonable here when I feel we are at the point where, acting on video games should at LEAST be on a B movie scale. Just a thought. When I played Prince of Persia, I wished for a game like this. Now that it is here, I shall wish for another. One where instead of looking at that vast kingdom from above and gazing out to sea, we would be able cross that ocean in a ship, you know...play a real adventure of a game, blend the best elements of games like this one, Shadow of the Collossus, Oblivion...I could go on but I just get too excited when I get going. Anyhoo, I'm going to go ahead and back up my first statement, and say YES dammit, this is the best game I have played...EVER!!!
Altair's acting s*cks?
Looks cool to me:
He acts like a real man.
He's cooky at the beggining, because he's the coolest assassin.
Then he becomes complex, ans he's heading for redemption. Normal man would act like that, You know.
Still, just my opinion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

stuburns
11-24-2007, 01:12 PM
It's interesting because I do see it as a groundbreaking title. I'm a massive MGS fan and have been waiting for MGS4 for over three years and I was watching one of the gameplay videos yesterday and I was thinking how I would get through the area if it was AC, cause I could see all this ledges and things Altair could climb on.

I don't think I'll look at games quite the same way again.

rogue_tom
11-24-2007, 03:38 PM
I love the free running and the combat is great. If gt and ign didn't make a thing of the ai most people wouldn't care or even notice.

I find the investigation to repetitive and pointless and the assassinations too short. I would have liked more stealth, tactics and cunning to get to the target.

unnamedninja
11-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm usually pretty critical about voice acting, but i think Altair's VA did the job just fine. Maybe slightly wooden, but that just matches up with the fact that Altair looks like Orlando Bloom http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I think the real problem people have with the voice acting is the American accent, which makes it sound out of place. But that hasn't anything to do with how well or how badly the acting itself was done.

But i really like how the team have decided to go with voice in game, some of the more obvious stuff (like guards insulting you) doesn't need translating, and in some cases, speaking english with an accent from one culture or another works just fine too. I think it keeps the game multicultural and is fair to everyone. But come on, the hero has to be American, isn't he always? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

VivBStard
11-24-2007, 10:46 PM
I can see way Ubisoft made him American. A lot of the potential purchasers of this game will be American, thus the hero is the element that draws them into the story.

I'm English so I am drawn in as I can recall the stories of Richard the Lionheart and I remeber playing with crusader toy soldiers as a kid. I'm sure that most europeans will recall similar stories from the crusades from school. I doubt that US schools teach alot of european history, just as I was not taught post independance US history.

iPlunder
11-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I love this game, but hey, i'm not gonna lie, Altiar's voice actor has the emotional range of a dead possum.

Tela
11-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by VivBStard:
I can see way Ubisoft made him American. A lot of the potential purchasers of this game will be American, thus the hero is the element that draws them into the story.

I'm English so I am drawn in as I can recall the stories of Richard the Lionheart and I remeber playing with crusader toy soldiers as a kid. I'm sure that most europeans will recall similar stories from the crusades from school. I doubt that US schools teach alot of european history, just as I was not taught post independance US history.

In America(or, at least, California) we are taught so much U.S history, that we get frickin SICK OF IT!! Very little of other countries.

IPlunder...that's sad. He has some very good emotion, especially at the end!

dragdude1234
11-24-2007, 11:04 PM
In new jersey(ya so what!) we don't get taught Euro history till 8th grade.From 1st grade,we get different book names,US geography,history,ITS ALL THE SAME!Its just that every year they add like 2% to what we learned last year.Its ridiculous.In Poland,you learn all of Euro AND US history from 1st.Atleast thats where you start.In Poland,you had like 8 different classes,not counting PE,art,and music.Sometimes,i think the US would be better off with Poland's school system.

Tela
11-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by dragdude1234:
In new jersey(ya so what!) we don't get taught Euro history till 8th grade.From 1st grade,we get different book names,US geography,history,ITS ALL THE SAME!Its just that every year they add like 2% to what we learned last year.Its ridiculous.In Poland,you learn all of Euro AND US history from 1st.Atleast thats where you start.In Poland,you had like 8 different classes,not counting PE,art,and music.Sometimes,i think the US would be better off with Poland's school system.

I'm guessing you used to live in Poland, then moved to Jersey?

mikenytro94
11-25-2007, 03:05 PM
I meant acting like actors, a game like this deserves some notable actors playing main characters. If games are going to the next level, things like acting have to be talked about.

magic_nate
11-26-2007, 08:16 AM
a friend pointed out the american accent thing to me... i was like but yeah everyone else has accents for the area but you wouldn't as you are not really Altair... you are his distant relative who has been kidknapped in america and forced to live Altair's past in order to answer some questions to the kidnappers...

stuburns
11-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Lucy actually address the accent language issue in the game, because Desmond asks why everyone speaks English.

One of the really great things about AC is the story's concept allows for really perfect get out of jail free cards, as far as game design.

A Loading Room.
Limiting you to areas via 'invisible' walls.
People not speaking in the correct languages.

You could even blame the Animus on the poor framerate and screen tear (or at least you could if that wasn't in the Desmond sections as well, unless the Desmond sections are also in a Animus in the future, like my flatmate thinks for some reason).

It's better then it is in games like MGS4 where you are in the Middle East and local men are shouting in very strong LA accents.

Tela
11-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Just to add in here real quick: American accent or not, English is not the only language Altair speaks in the game. At the end(don't worry, no spoilers!) he said a whole line in another language. Also, during the game, he will occasionally call out to guards in multiple languages.

GuStick93
11-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Tela:
Just to add in here real quick: American accent or not, English is not the only language Altair speaks in the game. At the end(don't worry, no spoilers!) he said a whole line in another language. Also, during the game, he will occasionally call out to guards in multiple languages. true,also the guards speak numerous languages,from english to german to turkish to french.