PDA

View Full Version : Interesting facts and fallacies regarding Italian MGs.

mortoma
03-22-2006, 10:00 PM
I have now completed 58 sorties flying MC-200 and the MC-202 series 3 and 7, flying a Dgen campaign. Let me tell you, the guns are not as bad and incapable as many have suggested. I now have 99 aircraft shot down and a wide variety of them too. A lot of the planes I have shot down are well known as having tough DM, especially the LaGG-3s!! Strange as it may seem however, I have found Russian Hurricanes to be the hardest to crack when using only machine guns, the second hardest would be LaGGs. Let me tell you, LA-5s are no picnic to kill either.

Now I realize the 99 kills in 58 sorties is not realistic but the fact that this game makes it far easier that it was in real life is not my fault and is irrelevant to this discussion. That's another topic altogether, we're talking about machine gun effectiveness here.

I have to conclude now that many complaints are from people who are not patient and want an enemy plane to go BOOM with just a few hits. Or they are just lousy shots that need more practice in gunnery. I now know the truth. So do you.

My kills so far:
3, I-153-M62
8, I-153P
3, I-16 Type 18
18, I-16 Type 24
2, P-40E
5, LaGG-3 Series 4
4, LaGG-3 Series 29
6, LaGG-3 Series 35
3, LA-5
4, Yak-7B
3, Yak-7B, 1942 Series
4, Yak-1
2, Yak-1B
5, Mig-3UD
2, Mig-3UB
1, Mig-3Shvak
2, Hurricane Mk. IIB
9 Hurricane Mk. IIB Russian Mod
12, IL-2, 1941 Early
1, SB-2 M103
1, IL-4
1, A-20

PBNA-Boosher
03-22-2006, 10:32 PM
I perfectly agree with you. I've had very good success in my Italian campaign with my Mc.200. However, is it just me, or are the guns on the G.50 and Cr.42 different from those on the Mc.200, and aren't they supposed to be the same?

HotelBushranger
03-23-2006, 03:06 AM
The guns on the CR 42 are like US .50 Brownings, whilst the G 50 and Macchi's have the Italian "dopey-rounds".

F19_Ob
03-23-2006, 04:16 AM
I guess and assume the majority of people who think it is hard to hit with the Macchi mg's are refering to online play, where the target will constantly evade and move when fired upon, unlike offline.

There ofcourse is nothing wrong with the strenght of the guns, but unless u make a crippling hit on the first pass online the enemy will start moving wich will in most cases dangerously prolong the fight and give other enemies the opportunity to intervene, and that leads to death frequently online because all enemy planes are better armed and need only a fraction of the time to kill compared to the Machhi 200 and the others with 2mg's.

Online the hurricane is a dangerous adversary, especially the hurrucane 2c and the russian fieldmodel wich often need only a single hit or a one second burst.
Also the hurricane 2b with 12 mg's has fireower far beyond the Macchi.

Well my take on it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

danjama
03-23-2006, 04:41 AM
Dont mean to burst your bubble, but you were fighting against AI,

they crash easier than a bus with 3 wheels, all you gota is put a few rounds in em and they give up

KIMURA
03-23-2006, 04:48 AM
As a 100% Onliner I would expect that list is while flying online. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif Do that "parking behind your victim" online and your're dead meat within seconds. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

mortoma
03-23-2006, 07:23 AM
I am not talking about the difference between flying online and off. I only know too well about the difference as I have flown online myself many times. Whether humans are more difficult or not and harder to hit or not is irrelevant to this discussion. I know humans do in fact evade better, ( ususally ) than an AI aircraft. On "ace" settings though, the AI ain't too bad. I have experienced some online players that are no better than ace AI in this regard.

I was just under the impression that many have griped about the GENERAL effectiveness of the guns themselves, online or off. Many people have posted whines and complaints about the guns without mentioning anything about online vs. offline. So there you have it. My point is simply to prove the guns can and do kill if you have gunnery skills.

Probably many people online don't have gunnery skills and if they did they'd do better than they do, you have to be a good gunner with these guns, online or off. No, they still wouldn't do as well as they would with bigger guns or cannons, but that's common sense. Maybe people online are too dependent on "big guns" as a CRUTCH?!?!?!? Gee, ya think???

Further comments along the vein of "online environmment is more difficult and harder to hit in" are not welcome in this thread. Kind of figured this was going to happen.

HotelBushranger
03-23-2006, 07:27 AM
How many rounds, on average, would it take do down a plane for you? And how much time?

mortoma
03-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by danjama:
Dont mean to burst your bubble, but you were fighting against AI,

they crash easier than a bus with 3 wheels, all you gota is put a few rounds in em and they give up You apparently don't fly offline too much because this isn't always the case. Especially when using guns like these!! I find I have to pump most planes for a long time, almost all 99 of them in my campaign!!! Few were easy "PK" kills. I play both online and off so I know what I'm talking about.

Some AI are the opposite, depending on the plane they are flying. You sometimes have to reduce an AI plane to rubble before it gives up. I know you DJ, you play almost exclusively online. So how would you know that much about AI?? If I played almost exclusively offline, I would not proclaim myself an expert on flying online, that's all I know.

Jumoschwanz
03-23-2006, 07:47 AM
What difficulty settings did you use in this campaign Mortoma?

PBNA-Boosher
03-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
How many rounds, on average, would it take do down a plane for you? And how much time?

Even on average it's impossible to tell. Deflection shots make up fully 70% or more of my attacking shots, the other 30% combine dead six or gunner defensive fire. I normally fire, unless I've got a 100% bead on the target, in quick 1/4 to 1/2 second bursts in crucial areas, wing roots, cockpit, engine, fuel tanks. Most generally, with the Italian birds, kills can range from taking 8-12 of these bursts, or sometimes as little as one due to insta-flame or PK.

BfHeFwMe
03-23-2006, 11:48 AM
http://mclub.te.net.ua/images/art/artist_432.jpg

Standing in the rain, with his head hung low
Couldn't get a ticket, it was a sold-out show
Heard the roar of the crowd, he could picture the scene
Put his ear to the wall, and like a distant scream

He heard one guitar, just blew him away
Saw stars in his eyes, and the very next day
Bought a beat up six-string, in a second-hand store
Didn't know how to play it, but he knew for sure

That one guitar, felt good in his hands
Didn't take long, to understand
Just one guitar, slung way down low
Was a one way ticket, only one way to go

So he started rocking, ain't never gonna stop
Gotta keep on rocking, someday gonna make it to the top

And be a juke box hero, got stars in his eyes
He's a juke box hero
He took one guitar
Juke box hero, stars in his eyes
Juke box hero, stars in his eyes
He'll come alive tonight

In a town without a name, in a heavy downpour
Thought he'd cast his own shadow by the backstage door
Like a trip through the past, from that day in the rain
And that one guitar, made his whole life change

Now he needs to keep rocking, he just can't stop
Gotta keep on rocking, that boy has got to stay on top

He's a juke box hero, got stars in his eyes
Yeah a juke box hero, stars in his eyes
With that one guitar, stars in his eyes
He'll come alive, come alive tonight

Yeah, he's gotta keep rocking, he just can't stop
Gotta keep on rocking, that boy has got to stay on top

He's a juke box hero, ahhhh
Juke box hero, juke box hero, he's got stars in his eyes
Stars in his eyes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

mortoma
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
What on earth is the Juke box hero got to do with anything?? You post fails to make any sense in any way whatsoever. Have you been putting together aiplane models and sniffing glue??? Or worse??

mortoma
03-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
What difficulty settings did you use in this campaign Mortoma? I fly full real as far as anything that has to do with how difficult it is to kill other planes. The things that matter in this sense are of course full difficulty gunnery and flight model. Nothing else would matter concerning how hard it is to get kills with weak machine guns. For example if I flew with airplane icons, it would have no bearing on how well my machine guns hit the plane or how good my shooting marksmanship is in general. It would make it easier to see enemy targets far off, that's about it.