PDA

View Full Version : No Internetconnection For Activation On A Mac

Morankurai
06-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Hello,

I've just bought Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for Mac a few days ago and installed it. Now, when I'm going to login via Ubisoft Game Launcher, it always displays me there's a problem with the internet connection. I've tried this for several times now, and it always ends up with this error message.

I've already searched for a solution for this problem and found some which say I should edit some host files on my hard disk; but they only work for PC and not for Mac because these files doesn't exist on a Mac. Can someone help me please? Is there a solution to make it work on a Mac? I finally want to play Multiplayer and these features after waiting so long for the Mac version!

Thanks in advance!

KingDaniel0
06-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Morankurai:

I've already searched for a solution for this problem and found some which say I should edit some host files on my hard disk; but they only work for PC and not for Mac because these files doesn't exist on a Mac.

We do have the Hosts file even under a MAC. You need to look under the proper path. For MAC OS X 10.2 and above, try to look under the following directory i.e. /private/etc/hosts.

But, as /etc is a symbolic link to /private/etc, so just look here i.e. /etc/hosts. Same like UNIX.

This HOSTS.txt file only needs to be edited, when you have altered this file, and added some lines of Text below ''127.0.0.1 localhost''. The HOSTS file takes the structure of any IP address you wish to point to, followed by the hostname you are mapping to it.

Try any text editor to edit this file, if needed, but Editing this file may also require root privileges.

Just open the Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal), and type the following:

$ sudo nano /private/etc/hosts (this should Open the file). Type your username/password if prompted. To save this Hosts file after editing, just try to press Ctrl-o. This will bring up a prompt for the file name to write to. Press Return to save the hosts file. You can then exit editing the hosts file by pressing 'Ctrl-x'

After editing, Flush the DNS cache by, $ dscacheutil -flushcache, if needed. Is using MAC OSX 10.0-10.1.5, then you can use NetInfo Manager or niload, as it has been added here.

Use this command i.e. $ sudo nano /private/etc/hosts.

Open the Terminal.app, Either by start typing Terminal on the Spotlight, or by going into Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal. Open the hosts by typing on the Terminal that you have just opened: $ sudo nano /private/etc/hosts.

Or, You can also use the 'Finder' File management tool.....Try to look for the Folder named 'etc', which should be under /private, and after that scroll down till you find this Hosts file. (first right click it, and then 'Get Info').

After you find this 'hosts' file, just open it by double-clicking on it. After that delete any entries below these lines of text. Do you have any entries relating to UbiSoft ? If not, then don't edit this File:

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
localhost

------------------------------------------------------------

Morankurai
06-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Thanks. I've just edited the host file and now it works perfect!

justinpunny
06-19-2011, 03:59 PM

Yes, I think we have this HOSTS file even under a Mac OS.

Fridotop22
06-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by KingDaniel0:

We do have the Hosts file even under a MAC. You need to look under the proper path. For MAC OS X 10.2 and above, try to look under the following directory i.e. /private/etc/hosts.

But, as /etc is a symbolic link to /private/etc, so just look here i.e. /etc/hosts. Same like UNIX.

This HOSTS.txt file only needs to be edited, when you have altered this file, and added some lines of Text below ''127.0.0.1 localhost''. The HOSTS file takes the structure of any IP address you wish to point to, followed by the hostname you are mapping to it.

Try any text editor to edit this file, if needed, but Editing this file may also require root privileges.

Just open the Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal), and type the following:

$ sudo nano /private/etc/hosts (this should Open the file). Type your username/password if prompted. To save this Hosts file after editing, just try to press Ctrl-o. This will bring up a prompt for the file name to write to. Press Return to save the hosts file. You can then exit editing the hosts file by pressing 'Ctrl-x'

After editing, Flush the DNS cache by, $ dscacheutil -flushcache, if needed. Is using MAC OSX 10.0-10.1.5, then you can use NetInfo Manager or niload, as it has been added here.

Open the Terminal.app, Either by start typing Terminal on the Spotlight, or by going into Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal. Open the hosts by typing on the Terminal that you have just opened: $ sudo nano /private/etc/hosts.

Or, You can also use the 'Finder' File management tool.....Try to look for the Folder named 'etc', which should be under /private, and after that scroll down till you find this Hosts file. (first right click it, and then 'Get Info').

After you find this 'hosts' file, just open it by double-clicking on it. After that delete any entries below these lines of text. Do you have any entries relating to UbiSoft ? If not, then don't edit this File:

127.0.0.1 localhost
localhost

Wow, Thanks a Lot for this solution ! I couldn't find a better explanation anywhere else for a MAC, to be honest.

I just tried the above Method of editing the mac hosts file, and now i can finally play the game on my MAC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Thank You, Kingdaniel0.

justinpunny
07-11-2011, 04:36 AM

It works indeed ! One of my friend was facing this same problem, and he tried your Method now, and his problem was solved.

Thank you very much. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CatchZaa
07-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Hey

Where do you find the /private/etc/hosts. Have looked, but I dont understand where to find it.

Thanks!

KingDaniel0
07-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by CatchZaa:
Where do you find the /private/etc/hosts. Have looked, but I dont understand where to find it.

Like I mentioned above, Try to look for the Folder named 'etc', which should be under /private, and after that scroll down till you find this Hosts file. (first right click it, and then 'Get Info').

Or you can also try the Terminal Window method.

---------------------------------------------

CatchZaa
07-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Damn, I just cant seem to find it. And the terminal just keep saying "command not found". I bought and installed it via Steam. Could this have something to do with it?
(and damn ubisoft havent answerd my support mail yet...)

justinpunny
07-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by CatchZaa:
I bought and installed it via Steam. Could this have something to do with it?

I'm not a MAC user by any means, as my Friend plays games on a MAC OS, but I don't think STEAM will create any problem for this.

STEAM is just a digital distribution platform for games, imo.

Fridotop22
08-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Indeed, Steam copy of the game has no link with this MAC os hosts file.

You need to edit this file carefully.

SnowLegacy
08-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Can anyone make a video tutorial ?

SnowLegacy
08-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I delete hosts file and it works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

justinpunny
08-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by SnowLegacy:
I delete hosts file and it works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Glad you figured it out all by yourself, because it is hard to make a Video Tutorial by anybody else.

Enjoy the game now.

loshmi2011
08-08-2011, 07:39 AM
there is a problem with the internet connection in my game. i do not have mac, i have winxp. but i didnt receive any errors or notifications that im playing in offline mode. check my topic: the problems with the internet connection.
but my internet is still working and it worked while i was posting this reply. are there any chances that acb has an internet connection problem or DRM?

Morankurai
08-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by loshmi2011:
there is a problem with the internet connection in my game. i do not have mac, i have winxp. but i didnt receive any errors or notifications that im playing in offline mode.

Today I've the same problem: I cannot connect within the app to the servers, while I can normally login via Ubisoft Game Launcher (Mac), and I don't receive the message displaying me I'm playing in Offline mode.

I think there's a problem with the Ubisoft servers and not with mine or your computer. Well, don't panic, I guess (and hope) it will be fixed by Ubisoft the next ours.

Maybe they are updating the multiplayer-server and come up with a cool new multiplayer mode well, at least I hope so... :-)

Mr_Shade
08-08-2011, 10:51 AM
HI there,

If you are having issues connecting to multiplayer / Uplay - please make sure to report this to Support.

I have emailed to see if there is currently an issue with the servers, but until I get a reply, please do not assume it's a known issue.

They are attempting to solve some lag issues, which may be the reason for the downtime, however please do report it.

atg188
09-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Hello guys. Same problem with me, when i try to connect with ubi servers. KingDaniel0 the files and folders you mention does not exist on my mac. I tried to find them also with terminal but nothing. What is going on? i want so much to play this game. Any help??
Thanks!

TheWolff9989
09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
if you are connected to ubisoft will it automatically give you multiplayer?

sztona
12-05-2011, 08:40 AM
can anybody help us? I don't have this files either. my Mac is from 2011, OS X 10.7.2
please could you do tutorial video? English is not my mother language and I'm affraid that I could do something wrong because of that..
it worked fine until I've instaled AC Brotherhood. heeelp :c

antonrebel
01-16-2012, 09:31 PM

127.0.0.1 localhost
localhost

What do i need chance then ?

Thnx

Rinsletify
07-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Since I don't know anything about how my Mac or Terminal works this was very hard to understand. However, when I finally understood it, it worked perfectly. Thank you.

Dj_Blaze
08-24-2012, 02:46 PM

127.0.0.1 localhost
localhost

well there are no entries relating to ubi soft in my hosts file......what now?

Dfreshest1
09-08-2012, 06:02 PM
WILL YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A MORE LOGICAL STEP BY STEP APPROACH TO FIXING THIS ISSUE PLEEASEE!!!
i am running on os x mountain lion if that matters...

i found the guidance to be very jumpy and it was instructed as if all the people using it are hackers or super powers users..??????

i can open the file your talking about in my terminal but after that i am completely lost!!!!

im familiar with how my mac works but would literally have to do copious amounts of research to even begin to know how exactly how your instructions are supposed to work...

after i access the file your talking about in the terminal i get this....

GNU nano 2.0.6 File: /private/etc/hosts

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

# Ubisoft DRM Server Emulator
127.0.0.1 static3.cdn.ubi.com
127.0.0.1 ubisoft-orbit.s3.amazonaws.com
127.0.0.1 onlineconfigservice.ubi.com
127.0.0.1 orbitservice.ubi.com
127.0.0.1 ubisoft-orbit-savegames.s3.amazonaws.com

NOW WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO???????

Black_Widow9
09-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Please contact Ubisoft Support and let them know the details of your issue. They are the best source to help you out. You can follow the link in my signature.

coffeebot3000
01-13-2014, 02:39 AM
KingDaniel0 - Your advice helped me out perfectly. Thanks so much.

Dfreshest1- The instructions jump around a bit, but they say everything you need. Basically, in the hosts file, I just deleted the whole section called "# Ubisoft DRM Server Emulator". Then hit Ctrl-X and it will ask if you want to save it. Click Yes (Y) and hit enter when it asks for where to save the file. Then close terminal, restart AC. It should work.

linnihanssen
06-17-2014, 12:45 AM
WILL YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A MORE LOGICAL STEP BY STEP APPROACH TO FIXING THIS ISSUE PLEEASEE!!!
i am running on os x mountain lion if that matters...

i found the guidance to be very jumpy and it was instructed as if all the people using it are hackers or super powers users..??????

i can open the file your talking about in my terminal but after that i am completely lost!!!!

im familiar with how my mac works but would literally have to do copious amounts of research to even begin to know how exactly how your instructions are supposed to work...

after i access the file your talking about in the terminal i get this....

GNU nano 2.0.6 File: /private/etc/hosts

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

# Ubisoft DRM Server Emulator
127.0.0.1 static3.cdn.ubi.com
127.0.0.1 ubisoft-orbit.s3.amazonaws.com
127.0.0.1 onlineconfigservice.ubi.com
127.0.0.1 orbitservice.ubi.com
127.0.0.1 ubisoft-orbit-savegames.s3.amazonaws.com

NOW WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO???????

I tottally agree! I don't understand ****. Why don't you just ****ing write a checklist with numbers that blonde girls can use?! I found the host file thanks to a youtube-video, and deletet the last section, saved it and closed the window. But I still get the same ****ing "no internet" prompt when I try to start the game.

I've been trying for days now and I am just sooo sick and tired of it not working. So excuse my language but understand my frustration.

Lastly, can someone tell me what I did wrong?