PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mentors & the Like.......

LEBillfish
12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Okie Dokie.....So we have a thread as to Past Occupations (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9971056316), and even one as to "Almost" biting the big one on the job (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4301031416) .....So what say we mention something else of "great value"....Those who changed our lives dramatically for the better.

I'll leave it up to you as to whether you think you should name names, and how much of it you'd like to explain, yet we have all had in our lives people who went above and beyond either teaching us skills, guiding us, or giving us a helping hand when down that affected the balance of our lives....So what about a bit of credit where due, even just remembering them....As NO ONE got to this point alone....

Might be a teacher, parents for most, an old boss or co-worker, drill sargent, minister, family member, spouse or friend.....So who helped shape your life?

leitmotiv
12-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Alfred Gollin

RIP

He was my graduate advisor at the University of California, Santa Barbara. One of the big guns in modern British political history. Had taught at Oxford until Beaverbrook died, and then, he said, "there was nothing left in England." Had phenomenal access and was an arduous researcher. He taught me more about modern British history, politics, and the British than anybody ("They are a haaaaaaaarrrrrd people." he'd say in his Bronx accent.). Classic Gollinism "Never trust a man who doesn't smoke."

Y0RGO
12-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Jesus Christ, I give my life him as 17yrs age.

Waldo.Pepper
12-04-2007, 12:41 PM
I suspect that I might get in trouble for this, but you asked. This man is my current hero.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=patcondell&p=r

leitmotiv
12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
He gets my vote!

Charos
12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
I suspect that I might get in trouble for this, but you asked. This man is my current hero.

Thanks for the linkage Waldo - Just watched a few of Pats video's.
I intend on viewing many more of his Vid's. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Waldo you may also be interested in a movie called "Zeitgeist".

As to Billfish's Question, my Hero's have all expired long ago, the majority lived in the 19th Century, a time of great scientific fervour a
golden age of discovery and inventive creativity.

DuxCorvan
12-04-2007, 05:07 PM
My life has been shaped by women. Women who were very cruel and ruthless to me. Women I loved and trusted, and paid me with despise.

This made me cruel and ruthless to women for a long time. I played with them and cheated them without pity or remorse. Then I started to feel that their grief was my grief, and that I was somehow a woman -don't misunderstand this, I'm heterosexual.

I stopped fearing them and started learning from them -from their extreme balance of cruelty and sublimeness- a respect like never had known before, for women, for myself, for human kind in general.

Respect and self-submission to the needs and feelings of those I love are my way of life now.

The women of my life -the bad and the good- are my mentors.

Airmail109
12-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
My life has been shaped by women. Women who were very cruel and ruthless to me. Women I loved and trusted, and paid me with despise.

This made me cruel and ruthless to women for a long time. I played with them and cheated them without pity or remorse. Then I started to feel that their grief was my grief, and that I was somehow a woman -don't misunderstand this, I'm heterosexual.

I stopped fearing them and started learning from them -from their extreme balance of cruelty and sublimeness- a respect like never had known before, for women, for myself, for human kind in general.

Respect and self-submission to the needs and feelings of those I love are my way of life now.

LOL I can understand/empathise with a lot of that.

But going from that to women becoming your mentors? Dude? And submission to the feelings of others? Oh no dux you've lost your way, I hope you know what your doing. Theres a thin line between good guy and nice guy/doormat/tool. Independance is the key in any relationship, a life outside of it. Boundries my friend.

A real gem of a woman, is one who recognises you empathise with their point of view but doesnt let it go to their head. They empathise with men and emasculation within todays society and dont try to whip men, or control them.

The emotionally intelligent women don't play all this hot and cold **** that women now often play in relationships, instead they find a guy and give him lots of space. Without nagging, and power games. I'f the guys intelligent and good at heart he'll recognise this and keep coming back for more.

The women that are cruel then loving are actually insane, stay well away from them. I'f all men did this and actually used their brains instead of their willies, men would actually hold a bit more weight in realtionships.

My 2 pennies.

For any other women newbies, don't let anger come into your side of an arguement either. Ever. It gives away any ground you had. Learn to be totally cool/calm all the time. Theres no need to get angry about much in a relationship, it's a two way deal. Deal with problems as logically as you can, if you get denied sex. Don't get angry or pushy, just cut off something in return. Doesn't even need to be mentioned. Depends how desperately you want sex though, try and learn to reign in that drive so you can be more independant if you can.

Go boxing or something to release any pent up anger.....or curse god in the countryside or something.

ON-Topic....My personal heros/mentors would have to be Spike Milligan, my old maths tutor and my grandad who was awesome. A total maniac, hungarian nomad descent, was a dispatch rider in the war. Spent most of his time motorbiking north africa and italy, screwing women along the way. Almost married an italian one, and then scarpered. Sat on the queens throne and lit a ***, nearly got court martialled. After the war he become an RAF band violinist, then when he retired carried on his chaotic life by going back to Hungary to play his violin with gypsies. He imparted on me a fasination for aircraft, by constantly sketching me aircraft when I was young whenever I visitied. He was never one of those boring grandparents, instead one whod always make really cutting jokes and remarks whenever possible heheh and generally piss people off http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

mmitch10
12-05-2007, 01:36 AM
My wife's grandfather. He was in Intelligence during the war, went through the North Africa and Italian campaigns, played a huge role and saved many lives but was very humble about it.

He was full of anecdotes, and if you took everything he said at face value you would think that he had a wonderful war. But when you thought about the stories more deeply you realise that he was glossing over the horrific aspects.

He taught me more about respecting other people and cricket than anyone else

Hydra454
12-05-2007, 02:24 AM
Too many to list...Hmmm,well,the one that comes to my mind most recently is my girlfriend.If it wasn't for her I'd have never come to realize how careless and remorseless I can be about somethings.She has a way of keeping me "soft" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif enough to be able to give a hoot about others problems.Also,if it wasn't for her I'd have probably never given much thought to settling down and starting a family.After all,kids are great.Right...Right? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

lol

Jabout
12-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Good One Waldo!

SeaFireLIV
12-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:

JUST LIKE Aimail101 I can understand a lot of that, but women are my mentors. No way.

Women have certainly taught what NOT to do and what to watch out for in how they can screw your life. How they can say one thing then not stick to it. Not the sort of mentors I want. But I certainly learnt something.

I like sexy women, looking at them, drawing them, even touching them sure, but relying on them or expecting something `special`?

Well, I`m still waiting.

Wham, bam, thankyou, mam and that`ll do me.
I still have hope, but I take great care nowadays.

MEGILE
12-05-2007, 05:50 AM

Been watching this gentleman this year. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

HotelBushranger
12-05-2007, 06:16 AM
That blokes a legend http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

DuxCorvan
12-05-2007, 08:34 AM
@SeaFire & Aimail:

I think you misinterpreted my words. It's hard to express deep things in a tongue not your native.

When I say 'mentors', I mean that they were driving forces, instruments of my own personal growth: the means for my catharsis to matureness.

When I say 'submission' to the needs and feelings of the ones I love -and I mean all the people I love and who love me, including family and friends- what I want to say is that I don't take sick pleasure in my own pain and frustration anymore: I've discovered the selfish pleasure of creating good temper and happiness around me. Pride doesn't refrain me now from apologize when due, or from having small, tiny gestures of kindness and generosity around me that I don't need to be begged anymore.

Simply put, I've learned to live without romance -I don't reject it, but don't need it either- and I've found the way to be firm and strong in the big deals of life (independence, free-thinking, my family, my job, my time & my ethics), by being able to be conceding and generous in the small ones, (soooo many superfluous sources of anger and arguments) which were no important at all for me in reality, but just a question of pride and arrogance.

Even easier: I have a thick skin, but an easy mood.

leitmotiv
12-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Women. They are absolutely necessary for my creativity. In a gender reversal, they fertilize me. Wonderful women bring me to heights of creative endeavor. Dead dreary ones terminate my creativity. I really like interesting women. They are ubermentors---they are Muses. They can spur me to heights just by being.

MEGILE
12-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Women. They are absolutely necessary for my creativity.

On a similar note, I was having a drink with one of the women off my college course after the xmas shindig last night.

Despite being 13 years my senior (34), she is a fascinating woman, absolutely gorgeous, exudes a real innocence... and a richard dawkins and derren brown fan to boot.

Good times.

zardozid
12-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow...I have read this thread and sometimes I forget how profound the control issues can be between the sexes. I'm also reminded of the nature of these experiences and how much significance we give "our own solutions to our own problems". We are all just people (men and woman) and we all have problem's...We are all scared, or lonely...and most of us are looking for something (weather or not we know what it is) and most of us are trying to find out what works for us as we live our lives...But IMO their are NO RULES...women are all different (and changing all the time) and men are too. None of us can say that what works for you will be true for me or vise versa...Trust is the bedrock of relationships and its sad that so many of us have had confusing or bad experiences...

Anyway back on topic (I hope Billfish isn't annoyed at my "OT" statements) I think I have had many "small" influences in my life...I'm a complex person and I have found people that have helped me in different aspects of my life at different times...But this is an interesting question and my deserve more thought...their could be someone I'm not thinking of. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
12-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Megile:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Women. They are absolutely necessary for my creativity.

On a similar note, I was having a drink with one of the women off my college course after the xmas shindig last night.

Despite being 13 years my senior (34), she is a fascinating woman, absolutely gorgeous, exudes a real innocence... and a richard dawkins and derren brown fan to boot.

Good times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky sod. I'm inclined to wish a yak with the great pox backs into you, but I will keep to the season and wish you luck!

sakai2005
12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
just my family and thier 250 years of new england work ethic.no matter how afraid you may be of the outcome, sometimes you gotta just do it.

Dagnabit
12-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Waldo this guy rocks!! My sentiments on many matters he discusses are sooo similar.

Kahlil Gibran has had quite an effect on how I percieve things, also Mahatma Gandhi, Siddhartha Gautama, but on a more personal level A good friend of mine is a Captain on the Michigan State Police, who is one of the best men I ever met. Many years ago we trained police dogs together, and worked in a organisation called Youth Contact Center, counseling young folks, in our spare time. He is a very inspiring person. Sorta my hero, and sometimes drinking buddy.
Dag

WTE_Ibis
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Women: I knew one once, I liked her so much that I took her to see India.

At the oval.

Worf101
12-07-2007, 07:41 AM
There've been several:

My Dad - Born in 1903, born wrinkled and toothless or so it seemed to me. Son of slaves, if the papers are to be believed. Worked his way up and out. Taught me many, many sayings I use on my son today.

"Talk less, do more."

"Don't go lookin' for trouble, stay still long enough trouble will find you."

"Don't have, don't mean can't git."

"If it ain't for ya, it just ain't for ya."

Dr. David Molnia:
When I was bussed from all-black P.S. 40 to all white P.S. 201 (yeah, I'm THAT old), Dr. Molnia was the first teacher to open my mind, maybe even "blow my mind". He talked non-stop, he walked and talked and talked with his hands. He made me first begin to question the world I saw and how it got that way. Ex-wobbly, WWII vet, feirce in his desire to share knowledge and encourage others to "seek truth".

Da Worfster

ploughman
12-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Wow, we think of the 1860s as 'long ago,' it's amazing to think your grandparents, Worf, were held in bondage. Sort of makes the past a lot more present.

HotelBushranger
12-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Sounds like a good bloke Worf (both of em) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Ibis mate, you know the way to a womans heart http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

MEGILE
12-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by HotelBushranger:

you know the way to a womans heart

Through a hole in the thorax? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

LEBillfish
12-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Rather surprised "many" are NOT mentioning those that really helped them in positive ways in their lives.........We all had such people in our lives one of the great things about the human race. They truly shape our lives, and deserve rememberance.