PDA

View Full Version : What is with the Omniscient aircraft?

hatman1967
04-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Last patrol I skirted around Scapa Flow to get to some decent hunting grounds for convoys. Well I was attacked 3 times by aircraft ... nothing new there - HOWEVER, in this case this should have been impossible as:

1) It was stormy and overcast

2) It was between 3-5 AM!!!!!

No way should this be possible. Even if there was Radar at Scapa Flow and they got my heading and speed and scrambled an aircraft - how the heck could an airplane see me? Its June 1940 and I didn't think aircraft had radar at this stage of the game ....

Course, to be perfectly honest I have no idea how my watch crew can spot a ship 4 km away under similar conditions. There is literally no light! How can this be possible? Up at my cottage if it is overcast you can't see 4 meters in front of you let alone 4000

Dano

hatman1967
04-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Last patrol I skirted around Scapa Flow to get to some decent hunting grounds for convoys. Well I was attacked 3 times by aircraft ... nothing new there - HOWEVER, in this case this should have been impossible as:

No way should this be possible. Even if there was Radar at Scapa Flow and they got my heading and speed and scrambled an aircraft - how the heck could an airplane see me? Its June 1940 and I didn't think aircraft had radar at this stage of the game ....

Course, to be perfectly honest I have no idea how my watch crew can spot a ship 4 km away under similar conditions. There is literally no light! How can this be possible? Up at my cottage if it is overcast you can't see 4 meters in front of you let alone 4000

Dano

panthercules
04-07-2005, 05:52 PM
What time of year was it for you? I tried to get around the north of Scapa Flow last night and have been attacked by planes 3 times in the middle of the night so far - but it's June 1940 and there is absolutely no darkness up there whatsoever http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I have been in the north of Scotland during the summer IRL and I remember it staying light till rather late at night, but I don't remember it being the land of the midnight sun - for the last 3 nights (game time) along that northern route it has never gotten the least bit truly dark at any time during the night - just slightly dusk-like the whole night long.

The screenshot at the link below shows the darkest part, back toward the moon -

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=376867

It really looks darker in the picture than it was all around the rest of the sky - basically it's just like the middle of a cloudy day, and it has stayed that way all night long for the last 2 or 3 nights - sure makes this passage a bit more dangerous this time of year - I'm thinking of trying the Channel next time.

hatman1967
04-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Same as you ... June 1940.

I also noticed the strage amount of light in the west at about 11 or 12 at night. I thought this was because the time I was displaying was my base time, not the local time (I believe the latest patch now shows local time). Very strange indeed ...

Anyway, it seems to me that this is far too early in the war to be tracked by aircraft in the middle of the night during a storm.

quillan
04-07-2005, 07:44 PM
You ever heard of the "Land of the midnight sun"? The farther north you go, the longer daylight is in the summer, and the shorter during the winter, due to the Earth's tilted axis. Once you reach a certain point, the sun never completely drops below the horizon in the summer, so it's never dark. Well, that's not quite that far north, but in the summer daylight is well over 12 hours. I think it's more in the neighborhood of 16-18 hours of daylight, with twighlight on either side of that.

Now, I'm not certain exactly what the minimum flying conditions were on aircraft back then. They can fly in overcast, and somewhat in rain and wind, but I don't know where the cutoff would be. You are correct about one thing, though. The first attack on a U-boat using a radar equipped aircraft wasn't until December of 1941.

Maj_Solo
04-07-2005, 08:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hatman1967:

Dano <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4m is a bit weak, turn off ALL lights in the area, there is not allowed to be any streets lights wisible anywhere, stay out in the dark 2 - 4 hours, don't be in any woods but look out over the ocean ..... see the difference ???? .... now, use your binoculars ...... wooooooooooooaaaaaaaw, see the difference????? 4m is weak, 4km too good to be true, but I am unsure what the max distance is on sea, maybe it is around 2 - 4 km that you might detect "something" with uncertainty, you ***are*** talking about overcast = piss poor lighting, "something" that might just be rain or anything a shadow. To say it is actually a ship I agree with you it has to be closer at night 1km max I believe, been tomany years since I was on sea, and then only watching tiny ships, I dont know what a super tanker looks like in the dark, but visibility ranges is not only a function of the environment but also the size of the ship. In SH3 had a large transport pass me so close it filled the scope completely, full rudder and after it, it started to rain, and SH3 removed the ship, I say no way, I think the guys that made SH3 never been at sea, maybe at large distances can you be saved by rain .... hmmm ... squals (my english has never been perfect).

So what more is wrong with this sim, let's rip it apart!!! Muuuahahahahahaaa

ExitStrategy
04-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah I have seen this issue too, think it is either a bug with the time being out of sync some how or they have overestimated how far north near the Arctic circle that area is located.

Even in late 1939 and early 1940 I have surfuced in that area around midnight only to be instantly be set upon by aircraft that my super elite watch crew cant seem to spot till last second.

So then I dive, drive around in deep water for an hour or so then surface. Instantly attacked again by the planes.