PDA

View Full Version : Arrghh help!

skimbo
08-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Hi all

Playing SHiii with the Grey Wolves Mod (which incidentally is absolutely mint!) and I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm playing on full realism except for external camera and event camera - I do like my cinematics!

Anyway I found a massive convoy last night and was set up perfectly to attack it €" 90 degree angle on bow slap bang in the middle.

My tin fish were loosed at 3 tankers 2 large and one medium. All were set to explode under the respective ships keel which they did 2 fish each for the large tankers and 1 aft shot for the medium.

Do you think the buggers would sink though?!

No.

Where am I going wrong? I thought an under keel shot would rip the guts out of ships guarateeing a kill.

On another note with the same convoy I was being closed by a destroyer and fired 2 shots into the middle of a convoy at 3 metres impact only in the hope of hitting something. I did. Another tanker which blew up with 1 shot only.

Help!!

FDNYFAN
08-17-2006, 03:11 AM
I get a guarantied kill as I'am always aim for the engine room.
8 out of 10 blows up with a single fish.

Goose_Green
08-17-2006, 04:29 AM
It's the lovely damage model taken from the NYGM super mod. Basically ships are MUCH, MUCH harder to kill with one shot, hardly ever did real U Boat commaders have the fortune to have a one shot kill, they usually fired more than one as a standard procedure. So the mod is now making things a bit harder for all of us. So the high tonnage patrol scores will virtally half overnight - they have with me!

I think it's great as I am being very choosy over my targets, as little merchants sometimes need as many as 3 torpedoes to kill them. We all have to be a little more savvy with torpedo expenditure against the possible tonnage return. So it strictly is Tankers first and the next highest target for tonnage return.

Bearing in mind inbound ships to the UK are easier to kill than outbound ships as they are carrying sometimes high explosive cargoes, such as ammunition, explosives, fuel and oil as opposed to ballast for outbound ships.

Shahed_Kazi
08-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Hey Skimbo

Welcome aboard !

Ok on my 13th patrol, now averaging between 1 and two fish per kill, but in the first patrol with GW 1.1 I used 5-6 per kill. See this discussion, it's relevant to your cause, hope it helps:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/8481048274

I have sunk both Nelson & George with 1 shot to the fuel bunker.

skimbo
08-17-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the welcome shahed.

I guess its a matter of where you strike the tanker. The way I understood it is that shots exploding under the keel are the most deadly. I couldn't work why 2 keel shots (3 shots eventually) didnt send the tanker to the bottom.

Guess its where abouts they hit. Like I said earlier my one torpedo randomly fired at 3m running depth took out a medium tanker with 1 hit. Grrrrrr.

My last patrol sucked (1 medium tanker and a flower corvette) even though all my torps struck home. Ah well...

Skimbo

Shahed_Kazi
08-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Just sunk a Dido, also with hit to engine room. I think engine room is the best place to hit. I'll judge for sure after I finish this patrol.