PDA

View Full Version : Dogfighting Techniques

HotelBushranger
11-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Whats everyones techniques for turning, chasing, keeping an eye on your opponent, etc.?

i cant use my joystick for that sorta stuff coz its **** i only use it for weapons, and i dont padlock, because i tried it once headon, so when they flew past my cockpit whizzed in a blur. but ill try it once im behind them lol.
use flaps much? change throttle, airbrake, etc?

share your ways

HotelBushranger
11-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Whats everyones techniques for turning, chasing, keeping an eye on your opponent, etc.?

i cant use my joystick for that sorta stuff coz its **** i only use it for weapons, and i dont padlock, because i tried it once headon, so when they flew past my cockpit whizzed in a blur. but ill try it once im behind them lol.
use flaps much? change throttle, airbrake, etc?

share your ways

deltorro
11-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Don't have much to say about how to fly 'cause I suck at that, but there's a free program that makes it quite easy to keep your enemy in sight. All you need is something like a webcam or digital camera. Check out "Freelook" a search on google and you'll find it. Kinda like TrackIR.....but free.

quasimodo_3
11-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Suggest you get a new stick, it makes a difference and makes it more enjoyable. I'll get on a defensive strategy for this post. I use a thrustmaster ($ouch$) and have setup the throttle-side buttons for flaps. Under 275kph and just on the verge of jamming them while on the deck, I'll try to use take-off and landing flaps along with roller-coaster scissors if I've got a tight-turner right on my six. In PF I'm practically getting seawater up my airscoop I drop so low. Works OK w/KI's, 109's, FW's, and 51's. Spits, Seafires and Corsairs have enough wing area that I don't worry about all the stresses of a tight turning encounter. Doesn't work too well with Lightning's and Jug's. Whole different animal when you're bounced while using the fighter-bomber breed. Really depends on the aircraft and the actions you take in the first couple of seconds after you've seen tracers zipping by your canopy. Up high, I just dive and keep control of the pull-out, looking above and behind for the pursuer. You'll figure out what works after you've been smoked a few times!S!

HotelBushranger
11-27-2004, 01:22 AM
lol id love to get a new joystick, mines a Wingman Extreme, twitchy little thing. but still for a good one, need some $. already topped my limit with PF, even IF im gettin it, which I want!! but yeah, i usually press F2 too see where the guy is, dont really think about exactly correct manouvers when im up there,i just fly! works most times!

oh and p.s.: are the machine guns any usefull with cannons? all ive got is the original il2 demo, and mgs do jackall, need the cannon to get kills. have they fixed that up?

HotelBushranger
11-27-2004, 01:29 AM
oh and what's WEP???

Lunix
11-27-2004, 01:49 AM
WEP = Wartime Emergency Power. A little extra boost that will make your engine overheat faster. simhq has some excellent articles on A2A combat.

x__CRASH__x
11-27-2004, 02:30 AM
Thats no small question! Got 3 years for the answer?

Arms1
11-27-2004, 03:08 AM
try increasing you mouse speed to around 4.0, it will help your panning keep up with combat situations

Bikewer
11-27-2004, 10:52 AM
I have tried both FreeLook and Cam2Pan with middling-poor results. The in-game panning controls are pretty bad; one utility that's a bit better is Joy2Key, which lets your joystick hatswitch "pan" like mouse-view.

Still, I'm holding out for TrackIR for Xmas; they even promise new software that will allow "head-leaning" so that you can see past the nose of your aircraft.

HotelBushranger
11-29-2004, 06:47 AM
my pov hat is mangled so cant use that

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-29-2004, 07:25 AM
1. Start saving your rubles for TrackIR. That will solve your acquisition issues.

2. To answer your question re:tactics...I use all the aforementioned aids (i.e. WEP, Flaps, airbrakes, throttle fluctuation etc,..)

TB