PDA

View Full Version : P51/P47 Freaky Friday

Daiichidoku
04-24-2007, 03:38 PM
so...

what if the 51 took the place of the 47, chonologically, and had roughly its range also

how would it fare vs the kind of LW the Jugs (and lesser, 38s) had to face, instead of the what it had become, by the time the mustang became proliferate?

Daiichidoku
04-24-2007, 03:38 PM
so...

what if the 51 took the place of the 47, chonologically, and had roughly its range also

how would it fare vs the kind of LW the Jugs (and lesser, 38s) had to face, instead of the what it had become, by the time the mustang became proliferate?

Daiichidoku
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
DOH! wrong forum

plz shift to GD, mods, tyhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

horseback
04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Most who flew both would say that the Mustang was a superior dogfighter at medium/low alts, and easier to fly. It was the equal to the Jug at higher alts up to about 25 thousand feet at least, so I'd say it would have been more formidible in the summer of 1943 than the P-47C and early Ds 8th fighter Command operated.

Assuming a low-range Mustang, you also have to assume a significantly lower weight, which would make it even more nimble (you can't have one without the other) due to a better thrust to weight and wingloading.

If the German fighters on the Channel Front followed the same tactics of avoidance they generally used with the Jug in mid '43, it gets a lot harder to do with a quicker Mustang that could compete below 20,000 ft. Remember, the Pony was superior to the 190 and 109 in most diving to escape scenarios too, and would not have a restriction from engaging below 20K.

Bear in mind that while 'lightly built' compared to the much larger P-47 and P-38, the Pony was still a chunky beast compared to the general run of European designs. Flown by the same guys who did the dirty work of '43-'44, I think it'd still be a successful combat aircraft.

In your proposed alternate universe, I imagine Mustang fanboys even more smug than they are here...

cheers

horseback

Bearcat99
04-24-2007, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
In your proposed alternate universe, I imagine Mustang fanboys even more smug than they are here...
cheers
horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif