PDA

View Full Version : reality and games

L0rdeKing
10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
we noticed that in the last few years and specially with the appearance of new physiques engines that most games deal with reality and most developers nowadays take the "Realism" element seriousely anyway I wanted to ask you all is it necessary for any game to succeed to hold this element strongly or what

Xanatos2007
10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Provided they do it correctly, indeed. Some games don't need to be "hardcore" realistic, but at least have a real atmosphere.
[Prototype], for example, has pretty unrealistic features about it (obviously) but it still remains realistic in a sense. It's the little things that give it the realistic edge, in particular the military radio chatter and the way the soldiers move, patrol and investigate disturbances. It all looked and sounded real.

In AC's case, the game itself is grounded on reality (being based on historical events and all that). Again, it's the little things that make it seem authentic; the architecture, the garments, the current status of the empire(s), the chatter about King Richard & Salah a'Din's plans and actions - things that didn't affect gameplay at all, but helped to set the atmosphere of the world (well, that and the music. Sound is the most important thing to nail properly in order to create an immersive experience). And the way the events unfold in the game; they don't dispell history, they work around it in such a way that, given proper research afterwards, seem like they might have actually happened.

Of course some games try a bit to hard to be realistic; ARMA II, for example. While I can appreciate what they were trying to achieve, the gameplay was too "clunky" and cluttered for my taste. Perhaps if they combined the atmosphere and tactical necessity of ARMA II with the fluid gameplay of COD4...

L0rdeKing
10-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I agree with you and I think that both (WBs games) and (Crystal Dynamics) made their way with thier games "Tomb Raider" and "Batman: Arkham Asylum" - although I really wish to see future Batman games like the new one - based on reality. so I think in the end putting some effort on it is not bad at all