PDA

View Full Version : OT: Movie "The New World"

SkyChimp
10-15-2005, 05:23 PM
A new movie is coming out later this year called The New World. Collin Farrell plays Capt. John Smith and the movie is about the founding of Jamestown, Smith and Pocahontas, etc.

The neastest thing about this movie for me is that it was filmed on the Chickahominy River and Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area in Virginia, USA. I spend most weekends on that river bass fishing and very frequently hunt the Management Area. It's kinda neat seeing a major motion picture filmed in areas with which you're intimately familiar.

I hope it doesn't ruin the movie for me. I look at a scene in the trailer and think "just through those trees is a house."

http://thenewworldmovie.com/

arcadeace
10-15-2005, 05:55 PM
That is neat Chimp, I€d probably feel the same.

I€m sure I€ll end up watching it. If done with reasonable historical accuracy it could be a pleasure. Hopefully political correctness won't rear its revisionist head.

Kuna15
10-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey thanks mate, it sounds very nice. I like that sort of stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Friendly_flyer
10-16-2005, 04:26 AM
I was extra in a film once. It ruined the film for my friends, since I'm rather recognisable. The film was mangled horribly in the cutting room and turned out so bad it didn't matter, though.

ploughman
10-16-2005, 11:38 AM
I hope it doesn't ruin the movie for me. I look at a scene in the trailer and think "just through those trees is a house."

Could be a problem. I live near Bath in England and it gets its fair share of films shot in it on account of its Regency architecture and general good looks. The other half made me sit through 'Vanity Fair' recently, which was filmed in Bath (although in the film it purports to be London), and I couldn't take it seriously knowing that just round the corner was a pub/record store/cinema/rugby ground or that the Big Orange bendy bus to the university stops there, and there etc. Being too intimate with a place can 'ruin' the illusion that the film maker is trying to create.

I'm not sure Reese Witherspoon is that hot either.

Skycat_2
10-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Recognizing and knowing a place would ruin the illusion, especially in period films. On the other hand, it can be a lot of fun down the road when you see an old movie that was filmed where you live. If you've moved to another state, you can annoy your friends by intermittantly pointing and yelling things like, " I used to go to that bagel shop! No way, that church is fifteen miles away from there, not down the street! Did you know they had to create false storefronts there to make it look like a red light district? Yeah, it's actually a nice place in reality, they just made it look like that ..." Share the love. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

What's worse is when directors choose a location to represent a place but it looks nothing like the real place. There was once an episode of X-Files that was supposed to take place about 25 miles from my house in the next city, but the storyline was so jacked they added a ficticious mall and a college campus with a nearby clock tower (for the sniper Scully and Mulder were chasing). I think Mulder had to take a public bus -- which doesn't exist -- to catch the bad guy, and there was a scene where it was driving past a beach. I live in Pennsylvania near the Ohio border ... there are no beaches in that town, trust me!