PDA

View Full Version : 1946 LAN with Windows XP or Vista64

larschance
08-31-2008, 08:24 AM
I am trying to encourage my 15 year old nephew to fly this sim. He enjoys just flying around at present and is getting excited about combat sorties.
I want to set up two linked computers for 1946 so we can fly with or against each other. Do you think laptop or desktop are better. I am told the former are more reliable but the latter are easier to fix.
Will I need two disks or just one. Will the sim run through a connecting usb cable.
Will I have access to the extra online maps via LAN or will I have to log in to the net for those.
Eventually I hope my nephew will become an onliner once his confidence grows.
I realise there are youngsters online already but he only flies when he comes to visit so it is not practical for him to log on yet.
Any advice would be appreciated.

AFJ_rsm
08-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Laptop or desktop, either is fine as long as they run the game well and you have joysticks for both. Obviously laptops are easier to carry and move around for when you're setting the LAN up, but that's just an extra convenience.

I'd hook up the PC's through ethernet though, and not usb. Just get a small switch or hub, which should be very cheap, and plug in both computers there using regular cat5 cable. Or, if you have a router already placed at home for your internet use, just plug the other PC there and you're set.

You will have access to all the maps that come with il2. You will need two discs, unless you use the american 1946 version, which I hear doesn't have a CD check when you start the game, or you use alternative methods which can't be freely discussed on this forum.

If you hook up both pc's to a router, router's dhcp server should handle all the IP assignments for you. Just host a game up on a computer, and on the other one go to multiplay and search for local servers.

If you go the hub/switch route, where there isn't a dhcp server, I can't remember if the PC's will each see each other and get their own IP configs automatically of if you would have to set them up. In any case there's a lot of people very knowledgeable with that here, and in the community help forum who I'm sure would be able to provide that info very easily.

larschance
08-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply and advice. I have a four year old Sony laptop but the dvd drive has just packed up so an external drive may slow frame rates down. Looks like a purchase of two newish systems etc when I can raise the cash.
I want to use cables as routers are still too easily hackable here in UK even with encryption.
My nephew and I will have to be patient. Roll on Xmas.
From what you say it seems I will have to be logged on while playing LAN to get all the benefits of the sim.

AFJ_rsm
08-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Several things:

1. The DVD is not accessed at all during gameplay. If you use a non north american version of the game, the DVD is only accessed during program startup as an anti piracy measure, but after that it won't be used. So an external drive will not decrease your in game frames.

2. To use cables, you don't have to expose yourself wirelessly. A hub/switch will not have wireless capabilities. Since there isn't any access to the internet involved, there's no risk of getting hacked. A non-wireless router with no web access, just the same.

A third option which I didn't mention in my original post, and is much easier now that I think of it, is to just get a PC to PC cat5 lan cable. A 3ft or so cable shouldn't set you back more than $20. And you don't even need a switch/hub/router or whatever. The only thing is, you will only be able to connect two computers to each other, with no possibility to expand the lan, which in your case and to play only with your nephew it's fine.

3. Need to be logged on? I'm not sure what you mean here. To get access to the "online" maps, you don't need an active internet connection. You don't need an active internet connection to play on LAN either. You can pretty much forget about access to the internet, you won't need it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

julian265
08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
+1 to the direct PC-to-PC ethernet cable.

I haven't even needed the special cross-over cable to do it recently, using a normal one worked fine. I heard a while back that network cards will auto-adjust to the absence of a hub/switch.

M_Gunz
08-31-2008, 10:45 PM
When I needed SVHS to Composite TV adapter I found this place, The Cable Club.

The have incredible prices.

Here's the network cables for example. (http://www.cableclub.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=network&x=0&y=0&search_in_description=1)

WTE_Galway
08-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by julian265:
+1 to the direct PC-to-PC ethernet cable.

I haven't even needed the special cross-over cable to do it recently, using a normal one worked fine. I heard a while back that network cards will auto-adjust to the absence of a hub/switch.

Most switches will auto negotiate to connect to either another switch or to a card. I did not think that many NIC cards could do it.

larschance
09-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Thanks AFJ. You have eased my mind on tackling this.

By online maps I meant the maps only available to those flying online such as the Burma or China or Coral Sea maps.

larschance
09-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks to all you guys for the tips. Another question. Should I use XP or Vista. I currently use the former but all the latest pcs use Vista which I read can be a problem.

WTE_Galway
09-01-2008, 02:06 AM
If you run 2GB of ram or less XP is probably still a good option.

Vista 64 on a new PC with a minimum of 4GB and preferably 8Gb of ram is actually pretty good for general home use.

Its a crap development environment and a resource hog ... but with a current machine it actually runs OK.

There was an XP64 that also gave you access to more than 2Gb ram (2Gb is the XP32/Vista32 maximum although soem apps can access 3Gb) but XP64 was broken.

If you want more than 2Gb RAM then Vista 64 is basically the only realistic choice.