PDA

View Full Version : Computer Restarts

Tarfu43
07-25-2006, 11:07 AM
While playing PF online, my computer will just shutdown and restart. This usually happens at least once for every hour I'm online. It never does that any other time no matter how long the computer is running, just when I'm playing online. What's going on?

Tarfu43
07-25-2006, 11:07 AM
While playing PF online, my computer will just shutdown and restart. This usually happens at least once for every hour I'm online. It never does that any other time no matter how long the computer is running, just when I'm playing online. What's going on?

BOA_Allmenroder
07-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I had a similar issue a while back.

Mine was due to an older computer/video card overheating and computer rebooting to solve it.

I fixed it with a new computer and video card.......... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Tarfu43
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
That makes sense. What kind of video card do you recommend that's not too expensive? 128 or 256?

WhiteSnake_76
07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I got a older computer and a even older grafix card and mine runs fine, most problems are caused because people download the latest drivers from videa or ATI while for some of the slightly older cards those driver might be worse than a few versions older drivers...
If i download a driver later than version 71.89 my NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti500 i get problems to with it like really bad framerate's up to the computer shuting it self down with out any warning.

x6BL_Brando
07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
The best way to troubleshoot this kind of problem is by using a methodical series of tests. A program like MBM5 (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) will enable you to monitor temps and voltages throughout a session.
Posting a dxdiag readout in a thread in the Community Help forum should grab an expert audience - and may save you from buying some unnecessary items

B.

actionhank1786
07-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Something i had a problem with (i don't know if this will help you or not, but i figured i'd toss the idea out there.) would be how much power you're getting.
I live in a Fraternity house on campus, and this house itself is well...old...i'm pretty sure over 100 years, so needless to say, i don't think it was ever meant for 30 some odd kids packed in here with 2 computers per room, and all those damned I-pods.
Anyways, the power has to be split between all these rooms, in my room alone i've got the computer, window AC (we don't have Central Air in this MO humidity, ack) and then my TV, and a fan and a mini-fridge.
Now that doesn't sound like much, but assume that the other 29 people in the house have the same amount, and we're running low on some much needed resources.
You may check to make sure your computer's getting enough power, since everyone's moved out for the summer, i'm really the only computer left here, and it's been reset free for a while now.

BOA_Allmenroder
07-26-2006, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tarfu43:
That makes sense. What kind of video card do you recommend that's not too expensive? 128 or 256? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be happy to give advice, however, I'm not really qualifed to do it. What I did was order an HP that had a Geforce 6600 256 card in it. Not saying its a good/better/best/worst but the combination of the card and new pc have eliminated restarts.

Now if I could just do something about the 'somtime' stutters... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

squadldr76
07-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Tarfu,

Another thing to check is the BIOS. Keep in mind that it's a last resort and don't do it if you aren't experienced! Have someone else look into it for you, cause updating the BIOS can ruin the motherboard if you do it wrong.

I bought the rig I'm using now last February and was having the locking up and rebooting problem pretty regularly. Sent it in twice, with the techs shrugging their shoulders saying "I dunno". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Finally sat down and updated the BIOS, expecting the thing to stop completely, but instead it works fine now.

What kind of rig are you running? Is it a fairly new one?

Anyway, just another option to consider, but I mention caution and going this route ONLY once everything else fails...

bird_brain
07-26-2006, 04:55 PM
First basic test is to take the side cover off and place a fan blowing over your MB. If the problem goes away, it is a heat issue which will shut down your machine. Start there before you move into replacing hardware. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If that reduces the problem, you just have to find out what is overheating. It is the middle of summer and 20 degrees can mean the difference between stability and reboots if you are already on the edge with questionable cooling.

If it doesn't help, you should start looking at your power supply 1st. They can go out and give you no clue unless you replace it with one you know to be good.

sparx1951
08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
The main cause for reboots as has been mentioned in above posts is heat. Also a poor power supply (also mentioned) can be the culprit.

I have been building my own machines for six years now and heat being the main problem in gaming forced me to liquid cool my cpu's.

I am not suggesting you run out to liquid cool your rig immediately.

The suggestion by bird brain to run the computer with the side cover off is excellent advice. If the rig does not lock under these conditions you know the problem is heat.

You can test the stability of you rig with many programs, I like to use Mad Onion 3dMarks 2001. It is an older program but it very good to torture test a computer. Download it and chose ''options'' and run the program looping. If it runs for 8 hours or so, you are good. It must run 24 hours on my rigs to prove stability. Also OCCT is a good test for a machine.

If you find out heat is a problem then get a program that can provide you with temps of your CPU. Mother Board Monitor is a good one for this, again it was mentioned above.

If you have an overheating problem then you may have to replace you cpu heat- sink- fan with a quality aftermarket unit, and/or replace the cooling on the video card. Or the video cars heat sinks may simply require the replacement of the factory basic thermal paste with Artic Silver 5.

I have no idea what you rig consists of, but stock computers come with small crowded cases, and cheap noisy low volume case fans, a real liability for gamers.

Let me know if you need more help.
sparx

Waldo.Pepper
08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/carolN%20filthy%20comp/DSCI0015.jpg

IF after you take the cover off, it looks like this ... start with a cleaning!

VW-IceFire
08-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I've seen worse! If you can believe that!

Tarfu43, I wouldn't start jumping around and buying stuff till you know what the problem was. Recently I was having a reset issue and I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the problem. Eventually the problem found me...video card was on its last legs and pretty much died on me one day just after overheating.

NonWonderDog
08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
I had a problem with freezing for a long time until I found the most unlikely culprit: my bios is set to use one voltage setting for all versions of my (old) processor, but there were four different manufacturing runs that all require different voltages. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif Apparently, most Athlon XP 2200+ processors need 1.6V, but the markings on mine say that it needs 1.65V. That extra 0.05V makes a big difference, believe it or not. (I wasn't about to touch the voltages back when I thought it was just overheating, even though I knew it shouldn't have locked at the temperatures it was locking at.)

I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just trying to unhelpfully say that computer problems can be an absolute ***** to diagnose. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

If nothing anyone else says here works, you can always download something like Central Brain Identifier (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Central_Brain_Identifier_d3538.html) (for AMD, there's gotta be something similar for Intel) and check your CPU's OPN code. With a bit of googling you should be able to get the power and clock specs for THAT SPECIFIC processor, rather than just a generic name like XP 3300+. If you don't have any clue what I'm talking about, however, I'd recommend you have someone else check you BIOS to see if they match up.

Try not to change anything in the "tweaks" tab of that tool I linked to, too. I didn't think you could change the things it lets you change. (Not only can you rename your processor, you can change every RAM timing option on the fly, including those hidden from your bios! Scary stuff, but I think the craziest options only work on nForce2 boards.)