PDA

View Full Version : Of Assassins and Templars: The Brotherhood *SPOILERS*

JudgeQwerty
11-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Now, this post is a bit of a long winded conspiracy theory that will probably be disproved in less than than two weeks, but I thought I should get it out somewhere. Throughout the game, I think the writers leave multiple clues supporting this idea, yet I have never seen anyone mention it. First, I will start with the canon and historical fact, then I will describe and explain my 'grand hypothesis'.

Fact 1) Al Mualim is revealed as a Templar. i.e. a Roman Catholic extremist out to kill as many Saracens as possible and reclaim the Holy Land for the glory of God.

Fact 2) The Templars consists of both European and Middle Eastern members. Again, a frankly bizarre gathering.

Fact 3) The 'Knights of the Temple' were officially formed around 1129, about 63 years prior to the first game.

Fact 4) These 'Knights of the Temple' contain at least seven admitted atheists, (Talal, Abu’l Nuqoud, William of Montferret, Sibrand, Jubair Al Hakim, Al Mualim) and their conspiracy revolves around obtaining a device responsible for ‘faking’ religious miracles.

Fact 5) Not a single conspirator uses the word Templar when murdered or in writing. Instead, the term ‘Brotherhood’ is used instead. The only character who supports the Templar link directly is Al Mualim, who is revealed to be an unreliable source.

Fact 6) The term ‘brotherhood’ is also used among assassins to refer to their own clan.

Fact 7) We are never given any form of assassin history lesson. For all we know, the Masyaf clan is the only such group in the AC universe. Neither is Al Mualim’s name and history ever revealed. He is simply the Master. Most assume he is intended to be Rashid ad-Din Sinan, the historic assassin leader of Masyaf, but there are just as many connections to Hassan I-Sabbah, especially his depiction in Vladimir Bartol‘s novel Alamut.

Fact 8) These so-called ‘evil men’ have been present in the Holy Land for quite sometime, yet they have never been targeted by any assassin from any clan. Why?

Fact 9) It is often remarked they seem to have the same goals. (Peace in the Holy Land)

The Big Theory: There is no Templar conspiracy nor an opposing clan of assassins. There is only the Brotherhood, a group of likeminded individuals on both sides of the war who sought to end this senseless conflict. Al Mualim never betrayed the clan, he specifically formed it in order to advance the brotherhood’s agenda. Like Hassan I-Sabbah, Al-Mualim converted an entire community to his way of thinking for the sole purpose of becoming his own personal army. Thus, not only do assassin and templar fight for the same goal, they fioght for the same side.

This is of course contradicted by Altair’s Chronicles, but then that game contradicts everything else. Still, what do you guys think? And what would be the implications for Altair, Malik, and the rest of the clan if it were true?

GkrewZ
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
sounds interesting exsept for the part where in the future desmond is being held by the modern templars who seam to just want to destroy the assassins and rule the world through deception now if your theory was true where is the "brotherhood" now? it looks very two sided in the future without the brotherhood looking to end the sensless fighting which almost compleatly ceased to exist minus the random comflicts over pieces of eden and desmonds aparent assassin group trying to bust him out but getting killed.

JudgeQwerty
11-04-2009, 09:05 PM
In the game, Al Mualim betrays the Brotherhood, ordering the deaths of his allies in order to keep the Piece of Eden for himself. Also, the assassins were taught that these other men were enemies. There is no reason for the two sides to reconcile, especially after Al Mualim brainwashes everyone with an alien device. Their only link was Al Mualim and he turned out to be insane.

joshua200830
11-04-2009, 09:10 PM
thats true but he also brainwashed altiar slightly but as altiar killed the men they opened his eyes to the real enemy which was al-mualum. his selfish goals in the end lead to his demise but altair was unable to destroy the evil artifact. so altiar became master assassin so he could destroy the remaining templars whos goal is to rule the world. there are definately two sides to this war.

An_Idea
11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
i like it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. as i was reading it i thought of another conspiracy... but i never quit finished that thought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

of course competition breeds hatred but it also creates more drive to get something done. like say.... peace in the holy land or something like that. if these two sides were actually one brotherhood and Ubi used it that would be so cool XD, as long as they make it work http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Phobos14
11-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Assassins follow a different religious belief than the knights Templar which is what distinguishes them as two different groups.

JudgeQwerty
11-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Phobos14:
Assassins follow a different religious belief than the knights Templar which is what distinguishes them as two different groups.

Actually, if you kill Garnier de Naplouse before talal, Altair and Al Mualim have a conversation about how the assassins are not at all religious and merely use the imagery of mindless fanaticism to throw off their enemies. They do not fight for a place in Paradise, but strictly for secular peace.

Phobos14
11-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I was merely just stateing from what I have read overthe past month or so. I have tried to do extensive research on both the Templars and the assassins.

Finding information for the Templars is easy. The assassins on the other hand not so easy.

An_Idea
11-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Finding information for the Templars is easy. The assassins on the other hand not so easy.

ikr, and the info i find im not sure if i can trust

JudgeQwerty
11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I was merely just stateing from what I have read overthe past month or so. I have tried to do extensive research on both the Templars and the assassins.

Ah, yes, historically they were just whacky religious nuts on opposite sides. AC-wise, I think its a completely different dynamic.

Phobos14
11-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by An_Idea:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phobos14:

ikr, and the info i find im not sure if i can trust </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hence why I am trying to find more than three books on it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

An_Idea
11-04-2009, 09:56 PM
lol if you find any can you post the titles plz http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JudgeQwerty
11-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Have any of you read Alamut? Its obviously a novel, not a history book, but it shaped the western conception of the Assassins in Western culture, especially in AC.

An_Idea
11-04-2009, 10:04 PM
ooh no i havent. thanks much

i havent really been interested in that stuff until AC1 came out. and i didnt really bother to put some effort into learning anything

JudgeQwerty
11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Bumping for purely sentimental and selfish reasons.

Jazerri
11-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I haven't played Altair's Chronicles so... I dunno how anything that occurred in that game would reflect on any of this. That being said....

I think your theory holds up right until the end of AC1, at which point Altair kills off the traitor that connected the Masyaf Assassins to the Brotherhood (as well as most of their leaders, or so it seems), and establishes those Assassins who remain as their enemies.

From all that I know of the history of the world, as established by the game, there wasn't a specifically Assassin vs. Brotherhood rivalry (except for the more general Saracen v. Crusader thing) going on until Al'Mualim betrayed the Brotherhood, but I wouldn't call them one united brotherhood either, since from what we've seen Al'Mualim was probably the only Assassin with whom the Brotherhood were allied. That he happened to be the Master of the Assassins just makes it ... complicated.

It's more like... the Assassins of Masyaf were lackeys who thought they were serving one political force and ideal (in which they believed heartily), and found out that they were being used to serve another (in which they didn't). So they offed the guy who lied to them and went on about their business.

So at least as far as the present game is concerned (meaning both AC2 in general and the modern portion of the story involving Desmond) there is and has been a Templar conspiracy and opposing clan of Assassins ever since Altair killed Al'Mualim. It was the beginning of the whole conflict, as far as I currently know.

(Edited for typos and terrible misspellings.)

JudgeQwerty
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I believe you're right about the Brotherhood splitting apart in the first game and it only really being two seperate groups after Al Mualim's betrayal and death. If that is so, I think its ironic that the Templars are responsible for the existence of their own worst enemies.

Jazerri
11-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah, but that stands to reason. You don't get a secret society of assassins bent on your destruction by handing out lollipops and flowers. You have to do something pretty er... controversial to arouse that kind of enmity.

I... am now slightly distracted by the thought of Templars handing out flowers. The Assassins, of course, would be lollipop-men. The real origin of the struggle revealed!

JudgeQwerty
12-04-2009, 06:45 AM
I went through twenty pages of dead discussions to drag this up, but I found it! Now that the game is out, I have found more proof to support my theory!

In the Codex, Altair himself states that Al Mualim created the Assassin's Creed, but suspects that he might have borrowed it from some older concept.

HA! Might be vague, but at least it proves that Al Mualim was indeed the founder of the Crusade era Assassins and by extension, their successors. Of course, the ACII assassin tombs prove that the order existed at least 1500 years before Al Mualim hijacked the idea for his own nefarious ideas. I hope we eventually find out where these early Assassins went.

ProjectXigis
12-04-2009, 08:34 PM
For info on the Assassins, you could try looking at the inspiration for them, which are basically one in the same. They're called the Hashshashins.

JudgeQwerty
12-05-2009, 12:30 AM
*sighs* ...you didn't actually read the thread, did you? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif