PDA

View Full Version : ATI or nVidia

Jason Bourne
11-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok, first off, its been awhile since I posted here. Second, I am finally getting around to building myself a gaming rig, and I wanted your guys input on something. I am trying to decide whether to go with an ATI Dual card system or a nvidia dual card. the pros of the nvidia that I see is that they are more established in this area. on the other hand, I have always prefered ATIs.

Give me your opinions, and once its done, ill post some VERY high res screenies with it.

oh, one other thing. For now, Im going to be using 256 cards, not the new 512

arcadeace
11-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Well I would go NV's 7800 512 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Its just about the equivalent to SLI 7800GTs and you can always upgrade to dual, assuming money is no object. Their drivers seem on track now, too. Some great reviews.

Owlsphone
11-30-2005, 04:19 PM
There is no reason right now to not buy Nvidia. SLI is not only cheaper than Crossfire, but outperforms it in just about every test. Plus, good luck finding the cards needed for Crossfire. You can get a 7800GTX from just about anywhere.

Jason Bourne
11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Arcadeace:
Well I would go NV's 7800 512 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Its just about the equivalent to SLI 7800GTs and you can always upgrade to dual, assuming money is no object. Their drivers seem on track now, too. Some great reviews.

thats the thing, money is an object right now. Im in college after all :/

VW-IceFire
11-30-2005, 06:39 PM
SLI seems to have a slight performance edge while CrossFire has the advantage of not needing any game profiles for it to work properly and is more flexible in terms of what cards are paired up.

I'm presently starting research on the subject of a completely new system that I will start to build in about 6 months time. Having looked at the latest ATI VS nVidia offerings in the single card arena...its ****ed hard to choose between. The only thing against ATI right now is that the X1800 series is a bit late to the scene and card availability is not as good.

I haven't seen a good Detonator (or do they call it Forceware now?) vs Catalyst shoutoff in a while either. I assume the nVidia drivers are about as good as the ATI ones at the moment. Catalyst has been a great thing for ATI...finally a driver suite that does good things. I was ticked with Detonators back in the GeForce 2 days but thats maybe just me and I'm sure that things have changed significantly.

Jason Bourne
11-30-2005, 06:41 PM
you try tigerdirect.com for the X1800s? seems like the cheapest price around for em

The only problem is that I dont know when the X1800s that have the extra hardware for the dual card stuff is going to come out.

neural_dream
11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
At them moment ATI and nVidia are pretty much equal at all price levels. Buy the one in the sexiest box http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif.

-HH-Quazi
11-30-2005, 07:49 PM
You know, we are a diverse bunch of gamers here, more so than alot of other forums. Some use Nvidia. Some use ATI. And all the ATI vs. Nvidia krud, we have seemed to have outgrown it.

I will say you can't go wrong with either brand. Each will have its' quirks to work through, so this is a given. With Nvidias SLI being around longer, there may not be as many quirks for you to deal with.

The only thing I can say about ATI is that they work harder delivering/optimizing their drivers to improve theirs cards performance on a monthly basis.

So yes, at this time the 7800 may be performing better, seeing as the X1800 has just been released. But given the driver releases from ATI, and my personal experience seeing performance gains with their new driver releases, and the fact that there are 12 new driver releases a year, I would say that it will not be long before ATI optimizes their driver releases to a point to where both card will be neck-n-neck.

Now I know you are in college and aren't interested in those higher ended cards, but the same applies to the lower ended cards to.

Just get what you want m8. Get what you know will or has worked for you in the past so you know there will be no disappointments. Or, check out the other side. If you do have issues, there are enough m8s here and in the Help forum to help you get it straight. I've often thought about going with Nvidia next go around, and am still seriously considering it. Here lately, I have read alot of good things in the Help forum from m8s posting that are using the Nvidia cards. Plus the fact that the new X1800 aren't capable of PS3 in this game, kinda makes me sick to my stomach. Or maybe I should be happy about that because there is no doubt I will not be spending and extra $$$ to get my hands on one of those. HEHE

Jason Bourne
11-30-2005, 10:15 PM
thanks for the Quazi. As for 'those higher ended cards', I am trying to choose b/w the 7800 GT and the X1800, and since one card is around 1/3 of the entire system, its the one part that I am having trouble with. That and the fact that I am looking to get a nice bolt-action rifle or SKS isnt helping either. Yah, I know, to many hobbies that take up to much time and money. (and then there is the girlfriend search).....

Udidtoo
11-30-2005, 10:47 PM
If you wait until you can afford state of the art its no longer state of the art. I'm currently running a Sapphire X800 XT PE that was selling just a shade under or over $600 depending on where you shopped and those same cards are now just a few dollars over 400 less than 5 months later.

I've had some great cards from both companies and my loyalty is to my own PC's performance and what I need the card to do for my simming. Competition is a beautiful thing because they both compel the other guys to try harder.

Sure there is always the fanboy fanatics who will jump in from either side telling you your a fool if you buy from XXXX brand because at 3Dmark blah blah blah. I can't say this very loud so lean in closer......ok, Their mostly bleep holes ya know? They don't like it, they know more than you or I so they have to convince you of their inherent superio....I mean that their card rules, this one blows.

Either one of the 2 your looking over are going to help, coupled of course with the right hardware, give you frame rates with eye candy cranked that will just make you gap at your screen. I still want screenshots to go along with a parts list when your done because its never too soon to start mentally compiling a "Things to get" list for BOB.

Jason Bourne
11-30-2005, 11:03 PM
dont worry, youll get the screenies. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lbhskier37
11-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Personally I would go with the 7800Gt. They are going for about 50$ cheaper than the X1800XLs, and the SLI option is much more of an option than crossfire. There are many more SLI motherboards out than crossfire motherboards, and you cant even get the crossfire X1800 board yet. If you were going with last generation I would say go with whatever has the best game bundle, but this generation price and availability seem to point to Nvidia.

Genie-
12-01-2005, 12:18 AM
go for 7800GT

I have just bought few days ago a XFX GF 7800 GTX and I was browsing the web for days reading ATI and NVIDIA reviews, previews, graphs etc etc..

7800GT or GTX is a winner over ATI for sure!

so buy yourself one decent GF 7800 GT http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WOLFMondo
12-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Ignore the fan boys, go with the facts and price.

Originally posted by lbhskier37:
Personally I would go with the 7800Gt. They are going for about 50$ cheaper than the X1800XLs, and the SLI option is much more of an option than crossfire. There are many more SLI motherboards out than crossfire motherboards, and you cant even get the crossfire X1800 board yet. If you were going with last generation I would say go with whatever has the best game bundle, but this generation price and availability seem to point to Nvidia.

i thought Crossfire worked on SLi capable boards?

Personally, SLi isn't all that. Slight performance increase for double the cost.

tjaika1910
12-01-2005, 01:45 AM
If I would build something from scratch right now, I think I would buy a Opteron 146 (oc to a FX-57) and a ATI X800 GTO (and flash it to x850 XT PE) This game is very CPU intensive and this combo will give a lot of performance for the money. (cost less than one 7800 gt alone) I have a x850 xt (slightly oc to xt pe) for AGP and I am impressed by the quality of the texture and colours of the game. Good drivers too, for me 7800 was not awailable (AGP)

A more costly and better (water=3) is a 7800

polak5
12-01-2005, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Owlsphone:
There is no reason right now to not buy Nvidia. SLI is not only cheaper than Crossfire, but outperforms it in just about every test. Plus, good luck finding the cards needed for Crossfire. You can get a 7800GTX from just about anywhere.

arent the nvidia cards the ones that have to be the same card while crossfire u can choose from a number of cards..?

TAW_Oilburner
12-01-2005, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by polak5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Owlsphone:

arent the nvidia cards the ones that have to be the same card while crossfire u can choose from a number of cards..? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, in theory. However with crossfire you need a crossfire motherboard (VERY hard to find at the moment) and a crossfire card and a second ati crossfire capable card.

I really like ATI also, but RIGHT NOW I would have to choose Nvidia if 2 cards was part of the reasoning because there are actually people here using sli but nobody using crossfire. If your just going to buy 1 card then forget all the sli/crossfire stuff and pick the one you like (I would personally still go Nvidia).

Grue_
12-01-2005, 06:32 AM
I'm just building a new PC and spent a long time researching what to buy.

I decided to buy a SLi motherboard as I wasn't convinced that Crossfire was mature enough yet. Available Crossfire motherboards currently use the Ati 450 southbridge which still has poor USB & SATA performance compared to other chipsets.

I decided on buying the new Asus A8N32 motherboard with the new nVidia SLi 16 chipset as the reviewers liked it a lot http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589

I've stuck a Athlon 64 3200 (which I will overclock) and a Radeon 850XT PE in this for now becuase I mainly play IL-2 at 1280 x 1024 and it's bonkers to spend a fortune on a graphics setup that only shows significant benefits at high resolutions of 1600x1200 or more. Also there are few current games that take advantage of 64 bit CPU's let alone dual core CPU's.

When BoB comes out I will upgrade the CPU, graphics card(s) and RAM.

Owlsphone
12-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by polak5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Owlsphone:

arent the nvidia cards the ones that have to be the same card while crossfire u can choose from a number of cards..? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, not anymore. The new series of drivers allow you to mix and match different brands as long as it is the same model - 2 7800GTs or 2 7800GTXs.

This is great as it allows you to buy whatever is the best current deal if you already have one of the cards.

Dutch60
12-01-2005, 10:46 AM
It’s very simple if your main game is IL-2 go for nVidia SLI and if your budged is big enough go for a SLI 7800GTX 512 you will have enough horse power to run IL-2 at perfect mode 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF and this looks very good.
The is only one snack it will not be enough power to run BOB2 (by Oleg) at full settings, so enjoy the power will you can.

polak5
12-01-2005, 01:57 PM
i have short term memory. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif thnx for clearing that up for me

WOLFMondo
12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Dutch60:
It’s very simple if your main game is IL-2 go for nVidia SLI and if your budged is big enough go for a SLI 7800GTX 512 you will have enough horse power to run IL-2 at perfect mode 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF and this looks very good.

You can do this with a 6800GT or X800XT easily. You don't need a 7800GTX to do this.

Jason Bourne
12-02-2005, 08:25 AM
well, its looking like I will be going with nVidia, because I cant find any motherboards for the ATIs. Just feels wrong though to decide based on MB avail.

-HH-Quazi
12-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Here m8. If the 939-pin suits you:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Sc...Category_Code=AMD939 (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=110434&Category_Code=AMD939)

As far as $$$, SLI mobos are a bit cheaper.

Jason Bourne
12-02-2005, 10:09 AM
*hugs Quazi*

now I just need ATI to come out with a X1800 Crossfire edition.

Jason Bourne
01-09-2006, 11:18 PM
well, you guys have been alot of help. But now, after reviewing my budget and my hobbie, I think I need to cut down on something. So im thinking of going with a lower Gfx card than the X1800. Any suggestions? (remember, ATI)

bolox00
01-10-2006, 02:51 AM
well the best 'bang per buck' ati card is probably the x850 xtpe- and it isn't too far behind an x1800xt in speed terms.if you know what you are doing, and can still find one, a sapphire gto squared card can be flashed to xtpe spec,- that should save some pennies.

For fb the one thing not to skimp on is the cpu, get the fastest, single core amd chip you can afford- this game is very cpu intensive.

With regard to motherboards, i would steer clear of the dfi board Quazi gave a link to; more than a few probs with that board http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
- the asus a8r-mvp is worth looking at-cheaper, has a better (sil) chipset and is crossfire ready .

hope this helps

docker80
01-10-2006, 06:32 AM
here you are m8 crossfire master.
here's the link
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Leadtek_SALE.html

hope it helps. this is the card that im getting
next week

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 XT ***CrossFire Edition*** 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-052-PC)
For the ultimate in performance gaming, Radeonâ® X1800 Series drives graphic performance to new heights with incredible speed, performance and intense 3D graphics. Offering mind-blowing graphics acceleration and high quality video playback, X1800 combines a radically new ultra-threaded core 3D architecture with ATI's revolutionary new AvivoTM video and display technology. Built for the future, the Radeonâ® X1800 is CrossFireâ"ž˘ Ready to deliver multi-GPU gaming performance that works with all games. This Crossfire Edition when coupled with an X1800 XT slave card will double performance of CrossFire supporting games.