PDA

View Full Version : What a gorgeous day.

HarryVoyager
02-17-2007, 10:03 PM
So there I was, sitting on the tarmac watching the clouds go by, when I found myself saying "What a gorgeous day."

This was originally just going to be a post about how wonderful the new sky looks, but as I got to thinking about it, so much has improved over the life of this sim. It's not just the expanding feature list or the raw number of planes, (though, granted, the F4F vrs 109E is a fight I've always wanted to try). It is the relentless improvements in those hard to quantify areas, as the AI and flight modeling that have really made this sim shine.

The recent addition of the SoW high altitude flight model is a case in point. When this game first came out, if one plane was faster than another at sea level, chances are it was still faster at 10km+, and any sort of maneuver at 7500m+ was basically a controlled stall. Now we have engines with true dynamic behavior from the Sabre screaming out 2000+ hp at 500m (but not much higher), to the DB 605 spooling up to max at 3500m, to the R-2800 holding power straight up to 10km (depending on the charger rig), and everything in between. High altitude dogfights are now actually playable, and significantly different than merely being a higher stall speed version of the low altitude ones.

Sure there are still the constant debates about which plane over/under performing in this build, so on and so forth (there always will be), but this game is the absolute best flight sim I have ever had the fortune to play, and it has only gotten better with every patch.

Just thought that needed to be said again, that's all.

Harry Voyager

VW-IceFire
02-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Here here. Couldn't have said it better myself!

-HH-Quazi
02-18-2007, 02:14 AM
Yea. I was getting that feeling of having the need to express similar thoughts. And since I just read your post, I feel as though I have. Thanks for posting that m8! I won't have to deal with those feelings again for another six months.

SeaFireLIV
02-18-2007, 03:09 AM
Yes, we might complain, but when I remeber back, the sim was muchly lacking. Of course, most people onlu notice online, but there are many other offline improvements from how it was a year or 2 ago.

AI used to just turn fight, nothing else, even luftwaffe. AI never had the repertoire of techniques, not just in dogfighting, but figuring out where to fly and land and avoiding hitting trees (high ground). There was no possibility of escaping enemy lands, now there is. AI friendly used to shoot you in the back, now it holds fire if you`re in way. Of course BOBWOV does AI slightly better I think in some areas (but it does see thru clouds ... So not so far ahead).

Of course the number of different theatres that never used to be, the damage-modelling and multitude of individual aircraft truly does beat ANY sim that cannot be denied.