PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions

Comrade_Wubb
09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi, I understand that alot has been posted for the 'Nuggets' and for which I thank you but as I only have Il2 FB V1.0 I don't think I can download all the helpful tutorials. Therfore I have a few questions. My plan is to get '46 eventually and then get all the patches and fly on-line. In the interim........

1) Are they any patches that I can download to my V1.0 that will improve the game?

2) Flaps. On some of the ac I have flaps for take off/ Landing/ Combat, I take it that the first 2 are self explanatory. Combat flaps though, I'm not sure when to use tham or what they do. Do they slow me down to keep the bandit in my sights for longer and when being tailed should I raise them?

3) WEP and super chargers. I don't thnk I've managed to find an ac yet where WEP has been effective, perhaps I've been choosing the wrong types. If I were to use it should I expect a good kick in the back?
And What are the Super Chargers and what do they do? I've found them on the He111 but I'm not sure what to do with them.

4) Prop positions. Does the position of the prop act on the engine like a manual transition on a car? If so, does a higher % act like a higher gear ratio and then should I be constantly changing "gear"?

5) Fuel mixtures. Any advice on this would be helpful. Higher mixes for higher altitudes or the otherway round?

6)Radiator Positions. Again any advice would be welcome. I presume they have somethuing to do with cooling the engines but what to do with them I have no idea.

Apologies for the noobieness of this post.

DD_crash
09-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Do yourself a favour and buy 1946!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Friendly_flyer
09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Comrade_Wubb:
1) Are they any patches that I can download to my V1.0 that will improve the game?

I think the V.01 can be patched to 2 or 3 something. The current version is 4.8.

Combat flaps though, I'm not sure when to use tham or what they do. Do they slow me down to keep the bandit in my sights for longer and when being tailed should I raise them?

The flaps increase the wing area, trading speed for lift. It is fully possible to take off and fight without them. Combat flaps is "just a little flaps". It allows you to turn tighter without stalling. The cost, as you have noted, is increased drag.

3) WEP and super chargers. I don't thnk I've managed to find an ac yet where WEP has been effective, perhaps I've been choosing the wrong types. If I were to use it should I expect a good kick in the back?

No, the planes we have aren't jet fighters with afterburners, you won't get the "kick in the back". The WEP is War Emergency Power. It gives you a little (perhaps 10%) more power, but will burn out your engine if used overmuch.

And What are the Super Chargers and what do they do?

Superchargers compress air into the cylinders. It is used to allow engines to work effectively at high altitudes with thinner air.

should I be constantly changing "gear"?

The prop position should roughly follow engine power. The idea is that most engines works best on a set RPM (usually indicated on the RPM-dial. Try to hold the needle within the marked area by manipulating power and prop position.

Comrade_Wubb
09-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Thank you Friendly Flyer, that's really helpful. Cheers.

Zeus-cat
09-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I'll answer the last three questions.

4) Prop positions. Does the position of the prop act on the engine like a manual transition on a car? If so, does a higher % act like a higher gear ratio and then should I be constantly changing "gear"?

I think you mean prop pitch. 100% prop pitch means the blades of the prop "bite" the air at the shallowest angle possible. Think of this as riding a 10-speed bike on the easiest gear. Decrease this to 90% and you have turned the blades of the prop so they bite into the air just a bit more (second gear on your bike - just a bit harder to turn, but slightly more power for the same RPMs).

5) Fuel mixtures. Any advice on this would be helpful. Higher mixes for higher altitudes or the otherway round?

I think the other way around actually. Some planes will smoke at high altitudes. Knock the mix to 80% and the smoking stops and power increases.

6)Radiator Positions. Again any advice would be welcome. I presume they have somethuing to do with cooling the engines but what to do with them I have no idea.

Opening the radiator flaps allow more air to get into the engine compartment and thus to cool your engine. They increase drag and make your engine more vulnerable to damage from flak or enemy bullets. Keep them open away from combat and close them when near the enemy.

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Several things in the sim are not intuitive. Others have bizarre names

WEP or War Emergency Power is a misnomer in the sim. "WEP" is a term used by the US armed forces, and it describes using full travel on the throttle

have you ever heard the term "firewall the throttle"? WEP is literally just that. WEP is not a "boost". WEP is simply pushing the throttle all the way forward. Why the sim considers this "110%" power is beyond me. here's what WEP really is:

The throttle on those planes had a wire across the throttle's path. A literal bit of safety wire, the same thing that keeps bolts from vibrating loose on the planes. When the pilot wanted to use full power, he actually broke the wire by pushing the throttle all the way forward. The crew chief could visually see it had been done, because of the broken wire

You see, using 100% throttle all the time is not the way the planes were really flown. We fly these planes very, very incorrectly in the sim, almost all of us. Using that WEP for periods longer than 5 minutes or so had a really serious possibility of damaging the engines. It ws literally supposed to be used in Emergencies during Wartime, and only then

But anyway, WEP is not some sort of "extra" power- it's simply full engine power, using full available horsepower. Some US planes do have things like water injection, that allows more aggressive ignition curves to be used, but that's not WEP

As you gain altitude, the ai becomes less dense. There is an optimal air to fuel ratio for atomization. By leaving the mixture comparatively rich (this means a lot of fuel versus less air) a problem occurs, and the fuel is not burned efficiently

So you therefore reduce the richness (you "lean" the mixture) of the mixture as you gain altitude

Every plane will have it's own idiosyncrasies for mixture and supercharger stage

The flap positions are another mind-boggler in this sim, to me. the flap positions should be in 5* increments, not "combat" "landing" and "take-off". It gives the wrong impression that these positions are what is required for those three things, and it's not so

As you fly slower, you are able to make a 'sharper' turn. The downside is that you are inviting a stall. By lowering a few degrees of flaps in a tight low speed turn, you can fight off the onset of a stall. This is typically the "combat flaps" setting. the rule is: the more flap angle, the greater you have changed the airfoil shape and (potentially) the greater the lift. never forget you can actually stall at any speed, not just low speed

Zeus-cat
09-06-2007, 05:38 PM
As you gain altitude, the ai becomes less dense.

He means the ai<span class="ev_code_PINK">r</span> becomes less dense. The AI remains just as dense no matter what altitude you are at!

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
yes, that's so. The AI becomes more dense for completely other reasons

Skycat_2
09-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Comrade_Wubb:

Try this link to the 1.22 patch:
http://patches.ubi.com/il2_forgotten_battles/il2_fb_v1.0_to_v1.22.exe

You'll get a flyable P-51D, two Japanese fighters, an AI B-17, and some new maps including a nifty Pacific Islands map that is available in the Quick Mission Builder.

Beyond this free upgrade, you'd have to buy Ace Expanson Pack to move to the next (and now long obsolete) version. It would be much cheaper and easier to buy 1946 instead.

As for 'noobieness,' fahget about it! You're asking the right kind of questions so I don't think anybody minds trying to answer them. After several years of playing WWII air combat sims with only a limited understanding of how airplanes are supposed to work, I've recently made a lot of progress by digesting vintage manuals about the Thunderbolt and practicing the procedures in Flight Simulator and in 1946. It really helps to pick a plane you love and then learn it inside and out. Here is a great resource site for scans of actual training manuals, operating notes and checklists:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/other-mechanical-systems-tech/

DKoor
09-06-2007, 11:32 PM
P-51 rocks in those patches (more than now iirc), being the best in FB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Comrade_Wubb
09-07-2007, 03:34 AM
Thank you everyone. Downloading Patch now.

I hope to see you in the sky soon. As I plummet to the earth in a fireball no doubt.

Cheers.

Xiolablu3
09-07-2007, 04:58 AM
EDIT : Nevermind.