PDA

View Full Version : Some little ideas... (okay, its a rant)

XyZspineZyX
12-11-2003, 09:01 AM
This is mostly a collection of thoughts that nag at me everytime I play a simulation game on a PC... I am not saying these ideas have problems, but with some ironing out I think they could work. Chances are good these have all been mentioned before.

- The ability to move your head front back / side to side a few cm. This would be to allow you to see around the frame surrounding you in the cockpit a bit easier instead of physically rolling the aircraft around. Bind the arrow keys or something to do this... You could even have a padlock do it automatically to track an aircraft (unless in gunsight view, see one of my following points). Although some aircraft may have visibilty problems and blind spots, for the most part you can probably look around the frame in the cockpit, and do so naturally while flying/driving/walking/pretty much any time. Its not unrealistic, these are 3d cockpits anyways and it could be added (And maybe we could see some of the blocked gauges in some airplanes for once). You could jam your forhead against the window to see ground targets over the side of your airplane as wellhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Having your head weaving around the cockpit tracking airplanes could add a level of immersion I haven't yet seen in a video game.

-You could even have it so if you are leaning forward/looking down and decide to pull back on the stick you get you chin rammed into your chest http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Ability to turn off the in game control surfaces. I have my own sitting on my desk and the in game ones just get in the way of things I should usually be able to see. Atleast attach some 3d hands and maybe a body inside the cockpit if they are there. (Instead of the invisble man occupying the seat in the airplanes now).

-Automatic switching to a guntsight view when the aircraft is in front of you (while in padlock) with a bit of a zoom.

-The ability to snap to any other view for a few seconds without having to disengage padlock. After a few seconds or if the aircraft padlocked is no longer where you were last looking the padlock turns off. There is the snap forward view with padlock but I am always fumbling for the key while flying four feet above the ground getting shot at. All snap views should be able to work, moving my head around breifly should not require a whole lot of extra effort when in padlock.

-Having to center an aircraft in the center of your view and have it within a certain range before being able to padlock it. (Realism + padlock).

-The ability to padlock your flight leader/wingman via a hotkey as long as he is within a certain range. Usefull for finding your proper place in formation among other things. Could make hand signals a possibilty (see below). Would allow more teamwork.

-Proper formation commands from an AI flight leader. Rather then trying to figure out what bloody formation everyone changing to this waypoint.

-Hand signals http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif On aircraft that would not realistically have a radio, make it so when your flight leader is padlocked and within say, 100m, you will receive "signals" from him. (Super hard difficulty setting).

-Assigning a button on your joystick as a sort of "shift" button, giving you access to alternate button features on your controller when its held down. Thrustmapper can do this and it works quite nicely but its one more thing running in the background that could be easily put into a game. Now that I think of it though, I haven't tried dual button mappings in IL2, maybe they work http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Complete / quick control over icons via the difficulty menu without resorting to console commands (i'm sure this is already on the list and asked for 200 times).

-A respawn time on dogfight servers (optional of course) where instead of spawning randomly aircraft spawn on the runway ready for takeoff in order of points scored. People who wish too could remain in formation and fly as a wing instead of wandering around the map by themselves. Would give vulchers a field day though.

-The ability to use the canned commands from single player missions in multiplayer (server side option, would work nicely with the above point, not like you have to follow orders anyways). A minor point.

blah blah blah... I should just learn how to program and make my own sim...

note: I like scragbats post about refuelling and rearming and would like to mention it here and I already said I agree with the idea in his thread and added a few ideas of my own that I am not going to bother repeating here and just wanted to say that yes I know this is a run on sentance and no I am not about to fix it or the other grammatical errors.

I generally consider that having more features and customizability in this game can only be a good thing. Maybe some of these can be considered for bob.

Message Edited on 12/11/03 08:08AM by Urist

Message Edited on 12/11/0308:15AM by Urist

XyZspineZyX
12-11-2003, 09:01 AM
This is mostly a collection of thoughts that nag at me everytime I play a simulation game on a PC... I am not saying these ideas have problems, but with some ironing out I think they could work. Chances are good these have all been mentioned before.

- The ability to move your head front back / side to side a few cm. This would be to allow you to see around the frame surrounding you in the cockpit a bit easier instead of physically rolling the aircraft around. Bind the arrow keys or something to do this... You could even have a padlock do it automatically to track an aircraft (unless in gunsight view, see one of my following points). Although some aircraft may have visibilty problems and blind spots, for the most part you can probably look around the frame in the cockpit, and do so naturally while flying/driving/walking/pretty much any time. Its not unrealistic, these are 3d cockpits anyways and it could be added (And maybe we could see some of the blocked gauges in some airplanes for once). You could jam your forhead against the window to see ground targets over the side of your airplane as wellhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Having your head weaving around the cockpit tracking airplanes could add a level of immersion I haven't yet seen in a video game.

-You could even have it so if you are leaning forward/looking down and decide to pull back on the stick you get you chin rammed into your chest http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Ability to turn off the in game control surfaces. I have my own sitting on my desk and the in game ones just get in the way of things I should usually be able to see. Atleast attach some 3d hands and maybe a body inside the cockpit if they are there. (Instead of the invisble man occupying the seat in the airplanes now).

-Automatic switching to a guntsight view when the aircraft is in front of you (while in padlock) with a bit of a zoom.

-The ability to snap to any other view for a few seconds without having to disengage padlock. After a few seconds or if the aircraft padlocked is no longer where you were last looking the padlock turns off. There is the snap forward view with padlock but I am always fumbling for the key while flying four feet above the ground getting shot at. All snap views should be able to work, moving my head around breifly should not require a whole lot of extra effort when in padlock.

-Having to center an aircraft in the center of your view and have it within a certain range before being able to padlock it. (Realism + padlock).

-The ability to padlock your flight leader/wingman via a hotkey as long as he is within a certain range. Usefull for finding your proper place in formation among other things. Could make hand signals a possibilty (see below). Would allow more teamwork.

-Proper formation commands from an AI flight leader. Rather then trying to figure out what bloody formation everyone changing to this waypoint.

-Hand signals http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif On aircraft that would not realistically have a radio, make it so when your flight leader is padlocked and within say, 100m, you will receive "signals" from him. (Super hard difficulty setting).

-Assigning a button on your joystick as a sort of "shift" button, giving you access to alternate button features on your controller when its held down. Thrustmapper can do this and it works quite nicely but its one more thing running in the background that could be easily put into a game. Now that I think of it though, I haven't tried dual button mappings in IL2, maybe they work http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Complete / quick control over icons via the difficulty menu without resorting to console commands (i'm sure this is already on the list and asked for 200 times).

-A respawn time on dogfight servers (optional of course) where instead of spawning randomly aircraft spawn on the runway ready for takeoff in order of points scored. People who wish too could remain in formation and fly as a wing instead of wandering around the map by themselves. Would give vulchers a field day though.

-The ability to use the canned commands from single player missions in multiplayer (server side option, would work nicely with the above point, not like you have to follow orders anyways). A minor point.

blah blah blah... I should just learn how to program and make my own sim...

note: I like scragbats post about refuelling and rearming and would like to mention it here and I already said I agree with the idea in his thread and added a few ideas of my own that I am not going to bother repeating here and just wanted to say that yes I know this is a run on sentance and no I am not about to fix it or the other grammatical errors.

I generally consider that having more features and customizability in this game can only be a good thing. Maybe some of these can be considered for bob.

Message Edited on 12/11/03 08:08AM by Urist

Message Edited on 12/11/0308:15AM by Urist

Urist
12-18-2003, 11:15 PM
bump...

Hoping someone notices this and wonder what people think...