PDA

View Full Version : Landing a Float Plane-Literally

Esel1964
08-22-2006, 07:00 PM
I was playing around in QMB awhile ago.I decided to see if I could 'gently slide' an A6M2-N up onto the beach,then 'rudder' my way off the beach.
Well,I hit the beach at twice the speed I'd wanted(I was afraid I'd destroy my floats),I hit at 40 kph-amazingly,I came to a gentle stop with no damage at all.The only thing is I was 1 1/2 plane lengths from the water.
I turned full left rudder and full throttle,and the d#mned thing started to move ever so slightly.

So,I manually opened the radiator,hit full throttle,started flapping the rudder,and crept back to the water-where,to my suprise,I was able to take off normally with a healthy,albeit HOT plane. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

DxyFlyr
08-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Esel1964:
...started flapping the rudder,and crept back to the water-where,to my suprise...

Now that's what I call crabbing.

PBNA-Boosher
08-22-2006, 09:07 PM
The A6M2-N is a fun plane. I made a map specially for it. Lots of fun to land, especially in formation.

han freak solo
08-23-2006, 02:34 PM
If you take it easy you can land that sucker on dirt, no water needed.

leitmotiv
08-23-2006, 07:14 PM
No joke or hearsay---the floats on Fleet Air Arm Swordfish aircraft were reinforced so they could be landed directly on the steel flight decks of Royal Navy aircraft carriers. I can imagine this kind of landing must have been terrifying. They were placed in the water with a crane.

IV_JG51_Razor
08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Interesting. I have never seen a picture of a String Bag on floats. Was the tailhook lengthened for the float installation, or did they just count on friction with the deck to stop it?

leitmotiv
08-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Every early Swordfish was built with the capability to use floats or wheels alternately. Some were used on gun-armed capital ships as scouts/attack aircraft (WARSPITE's float Swordfish sank a submarine, did a fantastic job of scouting for the ship, and preventing W from catching destroyer torps in the 2nd Battle of Narvik). Some were used on carriers as floatplanes (a series of photos of ARK right before the Norwegion Campaign show a float S on her deck). I have no idea how these landings were supposed to be conducted. I would guess they were exciting for all concerned but the crews.