PDA

View Full Version : All you need is a Mission Editor!

longdog499
01-30-2005, 01:14 PM
As a simulation player for more years than I care to remember,I have yet to find any game,whether it simulates sea,air or land combat with a worthwhile and playable'Campaign'mode.I have learned never to buy anything that doesn't have a workable mission editor function.As someone once said,(through a mouthful of cigar smoke no doubt),'Give us the tools and we will finish the job!'

longdog499
01-30-2005, 01:14 PM
As a simulation player for more years than I care to remember,I have yet to find any game,whether it simulates sea,air or land combat with a worthwhile and playable'Campaign'mode.I have learned never to buy anything that doesn't have a workable mission editor function.As someone once said,(through a mouthful of cigar smoke no doubt),'Give us the tools and we will finish the job!'

ParaB
01-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Have you ever played Aces of the Deep? Red Baron? Falcon 4.0? Rowan's BoB? SWOTL?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually describe the campaigns of those games as not worthwile/playable.

longdog499
01-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Campaigns? You are told who you are,where you are and what to do.If you can avoid being shot,shot down or sunk during the following five minutes of gameplay you are awarded the Victoria Cross the Knights Cross or the Medal of Honor and are immediately promoted to General,Air Chief Marshal or Grand Admiral!

hauitsme
01-30-2005, 02:48 PM
What the h*ll are you talking about? Or just spouting off about nothing? You were asked a VALID question.

Tomcat41
01-30-2005, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by longdog499:
Campaigns? You are told who you are,where you are and what to do.If you can avoid being shot,shot down or sunk during the following five minutes of gameplay you are awarded the Victoria Cross the Knights Cross or the Medal of Honor and are immediately promoted to General,Air Chief Marshal or Grand Admiral! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lmao

what a load of bull****

Yarrick_
01-30-2005, 04:16 PM
He must have entered the wrong forum, I doubt he is speaking of the same game as us do.

BigDaz99
01-31-2005, 06:39 AM
SH3 won't have a mission editor then? I just sort of assumed it had one.

bertgang
01-31-2005, 06:45 AM
As I rember, the mission editor was planned as a feature, and I can't see a reason to cancel it; I usually play in career mode, but single customized mission are a nice diversion, sometimes.

Antrodemus
01-31-2005, 06:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you can avoid being shot,shot down or sunk during the following five minutes of gameplay you are awarded the Victoria Cross the Knights Cross or the Medal of Honor and are immediately promoted to General,Air Chief Marshal or Grand Admiral! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO...

What a load of bollox. Try playing in anything other than "Nancy-Boy" difficulty level and you might not be such a hero inside five minutes.

A.

longdog499
01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Ouch!!!!You 'Campaigners' certainly fight your corner!

Jose.MaC
01-31-2005, 04:50 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

What do you expect? We were awaiting for this game for long, looong time! The last good WWII sub simulation dates from early '90! That's about a generation ago!

And this time DevTeam is giving us plenty of warranties. We're avid to see the new game with both old and new features. We want to be delighted and entertained, and both DevTeam and us feel that this time will be the TIME.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

longdog499
02-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Whoa there Jose!When I started this thread I never made or implied any criticism of SH111 or the people working hard to make it.I am looking forward to it as much as anyone.

Jose.MaC
02-01-2005, 02:17 AM
You're welcome! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Is just our sacred cow!

Tomcat41
02-01-2005, 08:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by longdog499:
Ouch!!!!You 'Campaigners' certainly fight your corner! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats probably because your second post:

"Campaigns? You are told who you are,where you are and what to do.If you can avoid being shot,shot down or sunk during the following five minutes of gameplay you are awarded the Victoria Cross the Knights Cross or the Medal of Honor and are immediately promoted to General,Air Chief Marshal or Grand Admiral!"

was one of the biggest piles of uninformed tripe i have ever stumbled upon. What you said is simply untrue, unless you were playing a Novalogic game or something.

Any respectable campaign from games like Falcon 4 or Battle of Britain is completely NOT like what you said.

I think thats why we were pissy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Poacher886a
02-01-2005, 08:47 AM
What i can never understand is why anyone would want to have a mission editor,because then you know where your going who's going to be there etc etc,and it takes all the suprise out of it!!

That said i hope for the New B of Britian it will have a dynamic campain,but which allows you to make your own decision's on what to attack/defend....sort of a mission editor within the dynamic campain.!

bertgang
02-01-2005, 09:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Poacher886:
What i can never understand is why anyone would want to have a mission editor,because then you know where your going who's going to be there etc etc,and it takes all the suprise out of it!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Playing any type of scripted mission, the surprise is out since the second time.

On my point of wiew, editing "your" mission could be an added pleasure.

To keep the surprise, just exchange your missions with the ones edited by other players: I experienced that with Wolfpack, and it was really amusing.

Poacher886a
02-01-2005, 09:27 AM
To keep the surprise, just exchange your missions with the ones edited by other players: I experienced that with Wolfpack, and it was really amusing.[/QUOTE]

Yea ,but i think what most sim player's like,myself included,is a bit of the RPG,when i'm in MY sub i realy feel like a captin of a boat in WW11 and like my career to develope or not!
Playing a single mission to WIN or Lose does'nt have any immertion for me as i don't realy care weather my Character/u-boat die's/sinks or not!

bertgang
02-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Like you, now I mainly play in career mode, as a sort of RPG.

But single missions aren't totally useless.
You can have a quick game when your time is short; you can use them as a sort of training for career mode; you can experience an historical scenario, never shown in your random campaign; or simply to have the pleasure to be the winner in the "mission impossible" written by someone.

The falling immersion could have some advantages, sometimes.

Antrodemus
02-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Poacher's got it spot-on IMO...

Any sense of role-playing immersion is lost the minute the game says, "OK, here's your next mission : You are Captain Y, (as opposed to Captain "X", who you were in the previous mission)", and so on.

Continuity, and some form of "connection", between the player and the plot, is absolutely required to immerse the player in the scenario. Anything less is just a pointless series of contrived events.

A.

bertgang
02-01-2005, 11:29 AM
That's absolutely right, but maybe I was misunderstood.

Even with my strong preference for a dynamic campaign, without any scripted elements, I see single scripted mission - out of a career's context - as useful mini-games to play sometimes.

Antrodemus
02-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Yep, for sure... as long as the main campaign isn't just a string of disparate missions, which completely kills any real sense of involvement IMO. But yeah, it's great to simply dive into (pardon the pun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) a single mission now and then.

A.

blue_76
02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
yes, even screpted mini-campaigns can be fun.. allowing for specialized missions.. specific circumstances.. to re-enact certain events etc.. the dynamic campaign is crucial, but having the scripted campaigns as an option would be great.

Tomcat41
02-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah, dont misundetsand me, i would be disappointed if there was no mission editor included, since i like to tinker with that kind of tool and try different kinds of scenarios and set up practice things and fun little ideas.

But the main meat of the game will be in the free roaming dynamic campaign that gives me a persona that i can do with what i want and fight in the war.

But probably the first thing i will use in the game, is the mission editor because ill make a mission that has just my Uboat, and two or three unarmed merchants in the vicinity, just so i can admire the beaut of the boat, take her down below and back up and see how it all looks, and then admire the explosions by taking out those merchants with the deck gun. So i will in fact use the mission editor as the first thing, but the main draw to this game is the dynamic campaign with the freedom of choice.

If they hadnt decided to add that, i might not have bought the game.

Yarrick_
02-01-2005, 01:15 PM
And how about adding different ships in a mission, and then see which of them wins through your periscope?
(please, don't speak about the Bismark here, it was just an idea xD ).

blue_76
02-01-2005, 01:22 PM
are you trying to say that the bismark don't stand a chance?!? do you know how powerfull bismark is? do you have any idea?!?

hahaha just kidding.. yeah, that would be a neat option.. to see different ships shelling eachother and watch the fireworks.

longdog499
02-01-2005, 05:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat41:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by longdog499:
Ouch!!!!You 'Campaigners' certainly fight your corner! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats probably because your second post:

"Campaigns? You are told who you are,where you are and what to do.If you can avoid being shot,shot down or sunk during the following five minutes of gameplay you are awarded the Victoria Cross the Knights Cross or the Medal of Honor and are immediately promoted to General,Air Chief Marshal or Grand Admiral!"

was one of the biggest piles of uninformed tripe i have ever stumbled upon. What you said is simply untrue, unless you were playing a Novalogic game or something.
You're right.Wound you all up though didn't it?

Tomcat41
02-02-2005, 02:36 AM
a bit

gave me quite a laugh too though