PDA

View Full Version : Alternate realities

flakhappy00169
07-11-2006, 05:41 AM
This is really odd and I wondered if anyone else had experienced it. I save quick missions after I have flown them so I can review the flight from different perspectives. I have noticed recently that what gets saved as a recording is NOT what happenrd on the mission. Eg, shot down three enemy fighters flying a hurricane, landed safely. Save, watch saved track..my hurricane flies around aimlessly shooting into the sky and then crashes into trees some 100 metres left of runway!! Recently, shot down FW190 while flying Spit MKIX, watch save track..FW190 blows my starboard wing off, not funny, so what is going on? I run the game on a stripped down 98SE OS (I find it runs better on this than on XP??, but I guess I may have a bit running on XP, though the list of background programmes is pretty small). On a deeper issue, I used to love this game, but recently I think bugs are creeping in, plus it is beginng to exhibit irritating tendencies more often experienced in microsoft combat sims..no matter what plane you fly, the PC always flies higher, faster, and stays just that one small step ahead, do a straight plane switch and the story is the same...sorry to say it, but I am not as confident about this sim as once I was.

Deadmeat313
07-11-2006, 06:27 AM
This is a known bug in .trk file recording. Quite often you'll get randomness on playback.

The .ntrk file type is supposed to resolve this problem, but whenever I try to save a track it uses .trk automatically.

I'm sure the boffins on this forum will know the answer though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T.

Irish_Rogues
07-11-2006, 06:28 AM
The regular techno guys may have a clue. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WWSensei
07-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Regular track files will do this often as they are based on recording control inputs and not actual action. To properly record ntrks (which if you are recording and getting a .trk extension then you are not recording ntrks) you have to map a key to the Quick Track button in the Controls.

Occasionally, ntrks will be off as well. Using lots of external views, lots of time compression (slowing down or speeding up) can also corrupt ntrks.

As for the AI always seeming to fly just a bit higher/faster/stronger....did it occur to you maybe the common denominator is you? Maybe it's a sign you aren't flying the aircraft to its full potential? I don't mean that as a slam. The AI in the game, even on Ace, is mind-numbling stupid to defeat. I mean when all you have to do is bank in a 3G turn until they run out of ammo it isn't that hard and their offensive moves are very predictable.

And the AI in the original IL2 was several orders of magnitude worse...

Blackjack174
07-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by WWSensei:
Occasionally, ntrks will be off as well. Using lots of external views, lots of time compression (slowing down or speeding up) can also corrupt ntrks.

Also note that ntrk recording (offline) is best when network setting is set to the highest speed, as the networksetting still determinates how much data is recorded per second, LAN setting for offline tracks is highly advisable.

WWSensei
07-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Blackjack174:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWSensei:

Also note that ntrk recording (offline) is best when network setting is set to the highest speed, as the networksetting still determinates how much data is recorded per second, LAN setting for offline tracks is highly advisable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point...

Unknown_Target
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
About the AI; I've heard quite often that the AI uses a more simplified flight model as compared to you; put your aircraft on autopilot and you'll be able to catch up just fine. But yes, it is there, and it's for everyone.

BBB_Hyperion
07-11-2006, 10:11 PM
The main problem with .trk files is mostly time acceleration on playback. For some reason when i dont use time compression on playback it works fine . When using time compression things get out of hand.