PDA

View Full Version : >>>>>>>CARRIERS<<<<<<<

TheGozr
12-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Is it a joke the???? 3.03m still has the bug of respawning over the carrier after it has been destroyed..

The servers are dropping PF maps because of this idiosyncrasy

I really was expecting this to be corrected.

DON"T MAKE MORE PLANES FOR GOD SAKE, BUT FIX WHAT SHOULD BE FIXED FIRST.

I wish i could speak Russian .. I know they are hard headed but sometimes .
I hope that Oleg is aware of it..

TheGozr
12-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Is it a joke the???? 3.03m still has the bug of respawning over the carrier after it has been destroyed..

The servers are dropping PF maps because of this idiosyncrasy

I really was expecting this to be corrected.

DON"T MAKE MORE PLANES FOR GOD SAKE, BUT FIX WHAT SHOULD BE FIXED FIRST.

I wish i could speak Russian .. I know they are hard headed but sometimes .
I hope that Oleg is aware of it..

VW-IceFire
12-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Wow...you keep hammering down on this one. I don't think they consider it a bug...neither do I.

WWMaxGunz
12-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Maybe make a habit to reset your spawn point any time you don't land on the carrier?

TheGozr
12-30-2004, 12:19 AM
I need an explaination why do you think it's not a bug? i would say more than a bug a hudge mistake..

Latico
12-30-2004, 01:16 AM
I would think that if your carrier has been destroyed and there isn't a friendly landbase or another carrier you can relocate to, it's over for your side. You shouldn't even be able to respawn at all.

TheGozr
12-30-2004, 02:06 AM
Latico.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif exactly

Troll2k
12-30-2004, 03:13 AM
It is a dog fight map not a coop

TooCool_12f
12-30-2004, 03:58 AM
respawn above the carrier?

not seen this one yet... unless you carrier is sunk, and then you appear above the point where it was.

if you talk about "when your carrier is sunk", would you consider more correct to respawn ON the deck? at the botton of the ocean?

TheGozr
12-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Dog fight or coop map the same. SHouldn t have a difference.

What's wrong with the picture peoples. carrier sunk It's done no more respawning on it or next to it.. period..

Adlerangriff
12-30-2004, 12:51 PM
So what are you looking for?

One side to continue spawning and the other to do nothing? Play coops if you dont like the DF server concept.

It's not a bug. It's a dogfight map meant to fight in the air, not go after carriers. I bet you go after the parked planes on the runways that are intended to keep the server smooth also.

TheGozr
12-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Actually yes i do go after parked planes in the runways Ofcourse ... It depend what the targets are..

My advice on if You want a smooth server ...don't parked your preloaded planes next to a base approcimity of a potential fight..

Try to participate to a team fight than come back and talk. Just do it once and lest see what you have to say.

I'll be glad to show you.. and we are deffenitly not flying with the -- Takeoff & landing-- option "OFF"

Capt_Pepper
12-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Maybe this will help explain Gozr's frustration a bit more clearly....and he€s far from alone.

In many servers, coops, and in the international competitions, matches are held that are both D/F as well as mission-oriented. Also as we€ve all seen, in many instances there are multiple bases per side, with each one having a limited, particular plane set available.

Since PF has come along, carriers have been put in as an additional element of the game to further challenge pilots/teams and enhance game play. In this instance, a carrier is regarded as a base and as above, usually only has a limited plane set available on it. Further, if you want to fly a particular plane and it is only available on the carrier, then you€ll need to become experienced with carrier landings and take offs, etc.

As with any good naval battle, carriers are used as both an offensive and defensive weapon. A typical objective (but usually not the only one) is to sink the other team€s carrier. Taking this one step further, assuming the planes assigned to the carrier are a deliberate and necessary element to winning or losing the match, it now becomes an even bigger issue. It doesn't do much good to sink the other team€s carrier if there€s no ensuing penalty to the opposing team. If the planes allocated to it can simply respawn over it once it's been sunk, then it loses all purpose in this regard.

This holds true for every server and mission builder that would like to use carriers in this same manner. Once it's been sunk, all it's advantages should go down with it until the conclusion of the mission.

So far, since the beginning of PF, it has always been possible to prevent planes from respawning over a carrier once it has been sunk€¦..something from the server side in the command coding I believe. Perhaps this was unintentional by the developers, but still a really useful option for many. This is no longer the case since 3.03.

All Gozr (and many others) would like to see is this: as was possible before 3.03, somewhere in the game a feature that could be utilized from (probably) the server side that would give you the choice of preventing its planes from respawning once the carrier has been sunk. Not so much to ask.......and certainly no reason to attack Gozr.

TheGozr
12-31-2004, 03:13 AM
Haa thx pep"
I hope it will make much more sens than my Poor english.

WWMaxGunz
12-31-2004, 06:33 AM
Enemy planes respawn over the sunk carrier at what alt? They don't just fall in the water
and sink?

Carrier going down should disappear from the map as a spawn point but then what happens to
the player spawned there who's been shot down? Does the game engine pick a new spot? What
I wrote above should be a valid work-around, that if you don't land back on the carrier then
when you next go out you pick a new base and you will have no problem at least if it is you
and respawns don't just airstart over where the boat was.

Latico
12-31-2004, 09:25 AM
I agree with Peppers explanation.

Let me compare this with what Janes Fighters Anthology had.

In that sim we had an online combat mode called Airbase Assault(we called it ABA). JFA was restricted to 8 players at a time. The game consisted of 8 bases, 4 to a side. Each player picked a base after sides were determined. The object was to destroy the opposing bases (specific targets at each base) while at the same time defending your own. We had a limited number of aircraft at each base. If you ran out of oplanes sometimes you would respawn in a tank or base gun and you just shot at planes as they attacked until your base was destroyed.

If you were away from you base when your base was destroyed you could land and refuel/re-arm at another friendly base. (Oh yeah, here's something that JFA had that the CFS and IL2 sim don't have. We were able to land our plane, park at a certain spot and be re-fueled/re-armed without leaving the game.) Of course, if your base was destroyed and you were still flying, THAT was your last plane, and when you lost that one you were done.

In the event that the game had carriers for bases, the surrounding fleet ships were the targets. Once they were destroyed. the player that was flying from that carrier could no longer respawn from it. (Planes had to be carrier based planes to respawn on the deck, all others respawned above the carrier) Re-arm/re-fuel procedures applied the same to carriers.

Game ended once all the bases of one side were destroyed. ABA combined the tactics of air-to-air and ground pounding. I have entered a few DF games that seem to have similar themes to them, although it seemed rare that other players would take on the roles of attacking the surface targets.

With the ability to join a DF game already in progress, as in the IL2 seires the ABA type game will not work the same as it did in JFA. We had to all start the game together and there was no jioning after it started and if you left the game you could not come back. A coop mission wouldn't work either due to the fact that we can not land to re-arm/re-fuel as we did in JFA, nor can we respawn as we do in DF.

I think that a DF game would be the only way to set some thing like this up, maybe. First team to destroy all assigned targets wins.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-31-2004, 09:34 AM
If your carrier gets sunk, you should get "forced/sent" to the nearest friendly base and only be allowed the planeset at that base.

The only real caveat is to the mapmakers to make sure they provide an alternate base. It would seem necessary (NOT optional) at that point to include a land base in every map though.

TB

Latico
12-31-2004, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The only real caveat is to the mapmakers to make sure they provide an alternate base. It would seem necessary (NOT optional) at that point to include a land base in every map though.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would depend. If the scenario is a CV vs CV battle in open sea, such as the Coral Sea map, there wouldn't be anywhere to put a land base. If the objective is the defend you own carrier and destroy the opponents, it would seem appropriate that once one sides carrier is destroyed and the last man on the other side lands, the game would end, with a "WINNING SIDE".

Now, for maps with nearby land, yes. Your idea of transfering to a land base would be a good idea. And should that base or it's alloted planes are all destroyed as well (on the ground or in the air), game ends. One side WINS!!!

Limiting the number of fighters and strike aircraft would also be needed. Yeah, I know, there are many pilots that will not fly anything but a fighter and they will quit the game once they are all gone. This type of game would probably be of more interest to squads that realise the value of team play and will be more inclined to fly as a coordinated team, and stick it out to the bloody end.

Capt_Pepper
01-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Is there anything else we can do to bring this to the attention of those who can help with this?

LEBillfish
01-12-2005, 09:56 AM
I have a question though as after reading this I'm at a loss for the answer....

If I respawn over a sunk carrier, can I take off?

If yes, then a problem. If no as in once I release brakes/chocks I fall into the sea...then who cares. The player will move on their own at that point.

I can state this clearly though....Though WITH EFFORT you can land on a listing carrier, you CANNOT move over any holes in the deck...essentially the carrier worthless then. So again I'm missing the problem as it's not like you can spawn and take off.

ElAurens
01-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Billfish, if your carrier is sunk, you airstart above it.

the best stratity to use in a DF is to merely damage the flight deck to make the carrier useless, and to prevent airstarts.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Foo.bar
01-12-2005, 11:51 AM
@TheGozr: i am with you, mate. after sinking their carrier, enemies are able to start now with much heavier planes, more fuel, more ordonnances. so sinking their carrier is... a gratification for them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
in DF is it simply a question of map design. only one carrier for one side isn't a good decision. they need at least one more land base. should solve all problems.

WWMaxGunz
01-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Ha! A fix for the Corsair/CVE whiners!

Lukki
01-12-2005, 03:23 PM
We need immortal carriers as an option.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WWMaxGunz
01-13-2005, 01:24 AM
They are called islands.

How real is landing on unmoving carrier anyway?