PDA

View Full Version : Oleg please make AI to not attack badly damaged planes (look please inside)

arrow80
12-13-2004, 11:10 AM
I know this had to be addressed several times, but it would greatly improve air combats if AI wouldn't pointlessly attack planes that are badly damaged (pouring black smoke, fuel leaks etc.). In my most recent mission I've lost the whole flight because the squad decided to attack a black smoke trailing MiG 3 above an airport...Adding this feature would certainly lower cassaulty rates. I know this is already somehow implemented as AI planes do not shoot planes that are completely destroyed (lost wing, etc.) Would it be that hard to implement a feature with condition:
IF (target->damage >= max_damage_value) THEN targed->destroyed.
This would be also helpful for ground targets, the flight after inflicting some target damage to the ground targets would take them as destroyed and it wouldn't attack them endlessly anymore.

arrow80
12-13-2004, 11:10 AM
I know this had to be addressed several times, but it would greatly improve air combats if AI wouldn't pointlessly attack planes that are badly damaged (pouring black smoke, fuel leaks etc.). In my most recent mission I've lost the whole flight because the squad decided to attack a black smoke trailing MiG 3 above an airport...Adding this feature would certainly lower cassaulty rates. I know this is already somehow implemented as AI planes do not shoot planes that are completely destroyed (lost wing, etc.) Would it be that hard to implement a feature with condition:
IF (target->damage >= max_damage_value) THEN targed->destroyed.
This would be also helpful for ground targets, the flight after inflicting some target damage to the ground targets would take them as destroyed and it wouldn't attack them endlessly anymore.

Gato__Loco
12-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Yes, it has been discussed before and should be easy to fix. The AI already stops attacking when the pilot of the attacked plane is dead (which is a bit funny... how do they know?) but they keep attacking when the enemy plane is smoking and in flames.
The fix is easy. Just have the AI ignore an enemy plane whenever that plane receive enough damage to turn on the the "smoke and burn" graphics routine. This would be very realistic, because the attacking pilot would know for sure that the enemy plane is doomed when it starts to smoke or burn, and there is no reason to keep attacking it.

t0n.
12-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Yes please.

quiet_man
12-13-2004, 02:55 PM
I think in RL is was common to "finish" work.

I think an random faktor would be best

regards,
quiet_man

NorrisMcWhirter
12-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi,

BUMP.

Many a time, I've asked my AI wingman to help out and he's gone after the aircraft I've already crippled and leaving the bandit I wanted him to attack who is on my 6.

I don't know if the AI adopt a 'priority' system on which target to attack next but, if they do, it might be just as easy to set the 'to be attacked' priority of damaged aircraft to be 'lower' than those that are not.

Either way, you'd have the same result which would be better than what we have now. I also fully support the idea of it having some randomness.

Cheers,
Norris

arrow80
12-13-2004, 03:26 PM
I agree that random factor would be great or even better if it would be skill dependant, that means rookies would tend to finish crippled aircraft, while aces would more strictli stick to the rule: After you hit an enemy don't follow him, cause his mate might be right at your six.

Not to mention AI often loose their altitude advantage going down after a crippled bandit and becoming easy prey for higher flying healthy enemies.

Any solution (even not a random one) would be better than what we have now and I suppose it shouldn't be that difficult to implement, as it already is to some small extent.

Willey
12-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Maybe it was common to finish a kill that the other guy couldn't finish because of someone at his six. But I doubt it was common to put some bullets in a plane that burns already or lost a wing... that's what the AI does everytime. I saw someone's wing off and then 3 wingmen go after him http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Tater-SW-
12-13-2004, 03:55 PM
It wasn't at all common to "finish the work." In RL, pilots claims were always in excess of actual kills. Why? MUltiple pilot's might claim the same kill, but other times, I'm sure they'd claim planes that they assumed were done for because they were belching smoke---planes that managed to land.

tater

Luftcaca
12-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Well it would be cool if the AI would stop attacking a crippled FIGHTER but a smoking bomber should still be a priority target

For instance a B-17 with one engine smoking (thick black smoke not only oil leak) should not be ignored by neither the AI nor the player

but I think this should also be fixed: when you have a plane that pursue another ennemy plane...lets say no1. No1 is still out of reach...like 600m so the AI plane we're talking about here CANNOT fire yet, with good cause....BUT, the wingman of No1 is RIGHT THERE, right in between the two planes, but the AI plane will ignore it cuz it wants no1.

Im sorry but the AI should instinctively change target and target no2 which is in perfect position to be shot down, and also no2 should not just go on like this ignoring that theres an ennemy plane right behind at 200m

do you guys know what Im talking about? sure hope so http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
12-13-2004, 04:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Willey:
I saw someone's wing off and then 3 wingmen go after him <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, Willey, but this cannot be. The AI knows to disengage whenever an aircraft has a catastrophic loss like losing a wing. It never chases under those circumstances.

It would be HIGHLY unrealistic to have the AI breakoff every time an enemy plane started smoking or heavily damaged.

It would be better to have the AI break off most of the times when an aeroplane looks like it`s finished. A RANDOM facter MUST be thrown in, that`s what gives it it`s `Human` quality.
So like someone else said, base it on EXPERIENCE.

1.A NEW GREEN pilot would mostly chase a plane down even if smoking until it`s destroyed.

2.An Experienced or Veteran pilot would VERY RARELY chase down an aircraft, peeling off when sufficiently damaged.

This is how it should be so as not to get robots who do everything predictably which would ruin the feeling of air combat. Think about it...

When YOU had your first couple of kills how often did you keep shooting at it with glee even with it smoking until it was totally destroyed - even when other enemy fighters were around? I bet you did it a lot until you became more experienced and learned when to pull back.

Luftcaca
12-13-2004, 04:24 PM
I saw someone's wing off and then 3 wingmen go after him

I never saw that neither...and I saw many kill stealing...

still I see from times to times an ennemy AI plane shooting at a plane with a dead pilot in it..it happens rarely...usually the AI plane is already firing at the other plane when ANOTHER fighter (either the pilot or another AI plane) kills the pilot. the first AI plane in this case CAN continue to fire ( he wont NECESSARILY do it)

3.JG51_BigBear
12-13-2004, 04:31 PM
At least my wingmen stopped shooting me down. As long as they're not doing that I don't care what they're up to.

mortoma
12-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Haven't you guys noticed that things have indeed improved in this area lately?? I've noticed that several times I severely damaged an aircraft and left it floundering around, usually on fire. And then some of my AI mates pounce on it later and get many hits on it. But in many cases, I do in fact get the credit when it finally goes down!!!
Never was like that before and it's been a very recent change in one of the last patches. Not long ago, even if it was on fire, if any AI came along and shot it after I did, the AI would get credit for it every time. You'll see it happen eventually, it does happen that way now.