PDA

View Full Version : AI keeps amazing me

blastomatic1759
04-01-2006, 09:45 PM
so i decided to have one of those reload days , since i dont do it that much , but i figured today i was going to see or try and see what i could get away with , while engaging a destroyer with the good ole deckgun , he starts heading straight for me , i must have took out his forward guns because he never opened up on me with those when he got closer, so im expecting he'll get close to me and hit me broadsides , in which ill be submerged by then, yeah right , i think that captain up there was laughing the whole time. normally i sustain some damage when i run into something , but he completely destroyed me . so now i know the AI changes its thinking patterns and to not to do dumb stuff at such close distances. you would think i would know this already , but i had to try it anyway.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/BoattrashBill/fsscr006.jpg

vietvet1950
04-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I think the very best learning tool is to just go out and try something. I love finding those merchants "parked" off the SW coast of England. they can be a great research lab for trying different tactics with a minimum of risk.

Klaevkhar
04-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Most of the time, that would kill my tower, and leave me with no periscopes...
unless its a Clemson...they always seem to sink after ramming me..

blastomatic1759
04-03-2006, 09:27 AM
i didnt expect to be killed that quick , i figured a whole lot of damage , but that was a rabid tribal that got me.

The_Silent_O
04-03-2006, 10:21 AM
In real life, More often than not...the destroyer captains, especially the British would go the the ram at close range.

And when you think about it, it's probably the more assured way of really sinking a U-boat.

the main guns probably could not depress enough to engage your low profile.

TASKFORCE1x1
04-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by blastomatic1759:
so i decided to have one of those reload days , since i dont do it that much , but i figured today i was going to see or try and see what i could get away with , while engaging a destroyer with the good ole deckgun , he starts heading straight for me , i must have took out his forward guns because he never opened up on me with those when he got closer, so im expecting he'll get close to me and hit me broadsides , in which ill be submerged by then, yeah right , i think that captain up there was laughing the whole time. normally i sustain some damage when i run into something , but he completely destroyed me . so now i know the AI changes its thinking patterns and to not to do dumb stuff at such close distances. you would think i would know this already , but i had to try it anyway.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/BoattrashBill/fsscr006.jpg

I never liked ai much. They dont go for the occassional smoke/coffee break like good ol' human multiplayer players do.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

der--Drache
04-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Ok is this good AI or bad AI?

2 planes started a strafing and bombing run at me and promptly crashed into each other, only to end up as a charred mass of bits at the bottom of the ocean.

Very amusing it was too!

So - is this stupid AI that they did this, or a nice little touch of realism that pilots back then were as prone to mistakes as anyone?

HansSlave
04-04-2006, 05:58 AM
had it too... two planes crashed becouse there was two squadrons lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hoatee
04-04-2006, 06:32 AM
A touch of both realism and 'silly ai', methinks.

Early in the war, pilots were relatively inexperienced in attacking maritime targets (and some air forces had a poor approach to co-operating with the navy).

If you look at the mission editor, pilots can be given different skill levels.

I haven't progressed beyond 1940 on any carreer yet (too many games to play around with) but I notice that every time I come under attack by Hurricanes off England, their pilots are so terrible in their runs that I don't even have to take evasive action (never mind diving).

The German air force was quite good in that (bombing skill as well as the right doctrine) and that showed ingame as well - I've only seen it once but I saw a ship that I was stalking off Norway come under attack and hit by one bomber.