PDA

View Full Version : Question from one still waiting...

mystmum
11-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Without giving spoilers please...is Uru more like Exile or Riven in content? IE is it a puzzle chase or a voyage of discovery?

mystmum
11-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Without giving spoilers please...is Uru more like Exile or Riven in content? IE is it a puzzle chase or a voyage of discovery?

ronsolo
11-19-2003, 10:27 PM
It's really the best of both, though the story is only barely beginning in the single player portion.

endeavor21
11-20-2003, 01:38 AM
Vaguely a spoiler for those who have absolutely no idea what to expect from the game and want to keep it that way....

Mystmum, had you included Myst in your original list, I would have chosen it. Both Exile and Riven were fairly straightforward in that the context of your adventure was clear and present at the start of the game. That was not so in Myst, and it is not so in Uru. I think that the former two are more about figuring out how to progress, and the latter two are figuring out just what the heck is goin' on (not that there's anything wrong with either).

Jerokhna
11-20-2003, 01:50 AM
ehr... Uru is actually the time passed combination of the whole Myst series rolled into one as well as the unwritten ages yet to be added and the ones in the old histories that had been shown to you in the 3 previous games.

mystmum
11-20-2003, 03:48 AM
Ooh, I like trying to figure out what the heck is going on! Must remember to lose my net connection for a couple of months when I finally get the game, so I'm not tempted to come here for hints! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Whitch2
11-20-2003, 05:15 AM
Mystmum, hopefully you won't have to resort to pulling your internet connection to avoid hints - we'd hate to lose you here. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif That's the reason these new boards were set up, to try and place some organization in the community. Keep the hints and spoilers where they belong.

Dan'ni had an excellent hint and Nudge guide posted during beta. I'm hoping he's updating it and getting it ready to post here (in the proper forum, of course. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) It gave just the right thwack off the side of the head to set you on the right track, yet never really gave away much. I used it a few times and never felt like I looked up the answer.

Hope you get your game soon. This is definately a game that keeps you wondering 'what the heck is going on'! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mystmum
11-20-2003, 08:03 PM
I did Myst in those dim days of no internet, and I have a much greater sense of achievement knowing I didn't get even the slightest hint for it, than Riven and Exile where I had the occasional nudge.

CuzinJohn
11-21-2003, 01:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mystmum:
I did Myst in those dim days of no internet, and I have a much greater sense of achievement knowing I didn't get even the slightest hint for it, than Riven and Exile where I had the occasional nudge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you there, mystmum. I played the original MYST with a firend of mine, and avoided all the hint guides, and cheats on the web. I was floored by the many MANY "a-HA!" moments I had. Same with Riven and Exile. I played those game almost to the exclusion of all else. I love the thrill of discovery too much to use a guide.

That's also an issue I have with some of the folks who are still waiting to go live. I read things like "I finished the game in one day, and now I'm cranky that I can't do more." (Please note, this is not a direct quote from anyone in particular, but a paraphrase of a number of posts. No Flames plaease.)

I don't think that URU 'non-live' was THAT straightforward to be completed in a day WITHOUT a walkthrough or serious nudges. Unless maybe the player were a beta and played the game 5 or 6 times already... like me http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

But still... it is a great game in all the aspects that are important to me, at least. Visually stunning, thought-process intensive, with a lesson in the end. AND this is the first that has the potential to continue beyond the list of credits at the endgame.

Yes, I was a beta. No, I've not yet been invited to "URU Live".
Yes, I miss the community of players I met during the beta. No, I'm not going to get cranky about having to wait.

Who wants to join me in a rendition of "Don't Worry, Be Happy"??

Cuz

frenyo
11-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Uru is a combination of three previous games in a way, but somehow different as well, in more than one respects. The concept of its storyline is differing from the previous ones, it is not so straightforward, there were several debates in the beta forum, and will be now in the open forums too, I am sure. It is clearly an experiment from Cyan's side: a software application, which has to satisfy three requirements: a stand-alone adventure game of Myst-style, a client of the forthcoming on-line multiplayer game, and it must be capable of continuous evolution (addition of new ages) - this latter means continuous online upgrades.

Uru is not as homogene as the previous 3 games: the differences between the ages are definitely bigger as in the case of its predecessors: Teledahn resembles the most to the Myst-style, Kadish has very heavy logical puzzles, Garrison has some action game features etc. Is it more or less difficult as the previous games? Difficult to give a straight answer, but I think, yes, it is. As far as I remember, we did not use any hints when playing Myst 9 years ago - it was a collective family effort. Ditto in the case of Riven. When one of us got stuck, somebody else could help sooner or later. I finished with Exile alone and had to use 1-2 nudges. Schizm was maybe the hardest game recently, made maybe 80% by own efforts + hints. Never ever walkthroughs! In the case of Uru I had to use nudges, mainly in Kadish, and concerning the last journey cloth in the Kemo-Gira complex.

So returning to the original question before going too off-topic: is Uru more like Exile or Riven in content? - I would answer that Uru is Uru.

-----------------
Frenyo/Norfren
Beta tester
Guild of Greeters