PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed 2 dubbing

Celeon999
10-23-2009, 01:11 PM
I wonder if its already known wether AC2's dubbing will be done by the same studio that did the localisation for AC1 ?

Ive found the german dubbing of AC1 to be most excellent and very professional http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif which is sadly not always the case with games. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Obviously professional voice actors , carefully chosen to fit the character of the game.

Ive read some german previews but either they failed to comment on the localisation or they all had a solely english preview version.

Still unsure which language version i should pre-order, hence the question. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Or is AC 2 even multi-language ??

Ezio_475
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I know one thing for sure and that is that it is in Italian aswell as English, not sure about any other languages.

Captain Tomatoz
10-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Fact of the day : AC2 has been translated in 14 languages for more than 110,022 lines localized!!!

From atmon's twitter

Iskander_Estel
10-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Tony6593:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fact of the day : AC2 has been translated in 14 languages for more than 110,022 lines localized!!!

From atmon's twitter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow that's great, now i can rest XD
i was afraid that this time around i had to play the whole game on english...

well anyway i'm going to play it on english on the second walktrough just to compare the quality of the actors.

keepth3beat
10-24-2009, 01:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that you'll have to play the game on English the entire time if you get the game in an English-speaking country. When they say it was translated in multiple languages, they probably mean for the sake of distribution within the given countries. I doubt with a game like AC2 they'll have a feature like in the old .hack// games that will let you switch between languages.

As for the studio, I should assume that the same studio did it. The voice actor for Leonardo da Vinci is the same as the guy inside the Assassin's place in Damascus. I'm pretty sure localization was dubbed in Los Angeles, considering I've recognized a voice or two in the development diaries, and they're actors that I know here in LA.

Celeon999
10-24-2009, 03:24 AM
I just checked my AC1 installation (PC) and found out that AC1 is multilanguage. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Never noticed that.

That means that at least the european version came with English, German, Czech, Spanish, French, Italian,Polish and Russian package.

It depends on which language your Windows or your console is set to. You have Windows set to English, the game will be english when you start.

Your Windows or your console is set to Italian ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I can switch to any language i want by editing AC's windows registry entry. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

So i take it that it will be the same with AC2 ?

One multilanguage version for all ?

Iskander_Estel
10-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by keepth3beat:
I'm pretty sure that you'll have to play the game on English the entire time if you get the game in an English-speaking country. When they say it was translated in multiple languages, they probably mean for the sake of distribution within the given countries. I doubt with a game like AC2 they'll have a feature like in the old .hack// games that will let you switch between languages.

As for the studio, I should assume that the same studio did it. The voice actor for Leonardo da Vinci is the same as the guy inside the Assassin's place in Damascus. I'm pretty sure localization was dubbed in Los Angeles, considering I've recognized a voice or two in the development diaries, and they're actors that I know here in LA.

i bought AC1 in USA and it's on espanish as well as in english.

most of Ubi games are always on english, spanish and french. (at least on the american edition)

keepth3beat
10-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Iskander_Estel:
most of Ubi games are always on english, spanish and french. (at least on the american edition)

Is that true for just the PC versions, or the Xbox versions as well? If that's the case, I want to play in other languages! Maybe if I'm lucky German will be on there and I can practice my listening comprehension. >>

Iskander_Estel
10-24-2009, 11:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Iskander_Estel:

Is that true for just the PC versions, or the Xbox versions as well? If that's the case, I want to play in other languages! Maybe if I'm lucky German will be on there and I can practice my listening comprehension. >> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i got Assassins Creed for Xbox 360 and it's on spanish and english (at least)

Coolgerb
10-24-2009, 11:56 PM
They should bring down the entire dub industry, so they can rebuild it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

99% of all anime, cartoon, and game dubs have extremely bad voice actors, which usually also don't fit the role.
Not to mention it ruins kids' ability to adapt to multiple languages.
And do I also need to mention how it only costs developers more money, and how it usually screws over English-speaking Europeans due to more development time?

In my time (holy crap I'm just 22 years old and I already have to say that to make my point http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif ) all kids' cartoons were in English, with Dutch subs under them (I'm from The Netherlands).
Nowadays all those cartoons are extremely badly dubbed, and a lot of kids have a hard time speaking / pronouncing English at an age that I was able to do so decent enough.

Of course there are exceptions, but as the word 'exception' hints at, those are extremely rare.

keepth3beat
10-25-2009, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Coolgerb:
They should bring down the entire dub industry, so they can rebuild it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

99% of all anime, cartoon, and game dubs have extremely bad voice actors, which usually also don't fit the role.

I work in voiceover, particularly in dubbing. While I do agree that at times, I don't agree with casting decisions, I know exactly how difficult this process is, not only on the actors, but also for the people behind the microphone as well.

Personally, I like dubs, not only because I get job security (if such a thing is even possible for an actor) but because the more languages there are, the better. I watch most anime in English and Japanese. Most DVDs in America come with at least 3 languages (with the exception of anime, which only comes in English and Japanese). I know European DVDs come with even more, if my German cousin's DVD collection is any evidence. I know that if I like the movie (or series) enough to see it more than once, I'll watch it in at least every language that's on the DVD.

People *have* the opportunity to become exposed to more languages with dubs than they would were something to *only* be subtitled with the original language track. Whether or not the viewers bother to switch the audio is their prerogative.

Altaezio
10-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Immma first play AC2 in Ialian w/ english subtitles..then when i finish i play it in english

Coolgerb
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coolgerb:

I work in voiceover, particularly in dubbing. While I do agree that at times, I don't agree with casting decisions, I know exactly how difficult this process is, not only on the actors, but also for the people behind the microphone as well.

Personally, I like dubs, not only because I get job security (if such a thing is even possible for an actor) but because the more languages there are, the better. I watch most anime in English and Japanese. Most DVDs in America come with at least 3 languages (with the exception of anime, which only comes in English and Japanese). I know European DVDs come with even more, if my German cousin's DVD collection is any evidence. I know that if I like the movie (or series) enough to see it more than once, I'll watch it in at least every language that's on the DVD.

People *have* the opportunity to become exposed to more languages with dubs than they would were something to *only* be subtitled with the original language track. Whether or not the viewers bother to switch the audio is their prerogative. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously, I have nothing against people in the business personally, nor do I want them to be out of work.
But seriously, is it that expensive to find better suited voice actors for certain roles? Bad dubs manage to destroy a lot of immersion. Hell, it makes certain Japanese RPGs unplayable because it just hurts your ears.

EDIT: Out of curiousity, what anime / games / other things have you worked on?

OSnailsO
10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I know that the people who dubbed AC1 in english did it for AC2 (Listen to the voices they are exactly the same)

keepth3beat
10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Coolgerb:
Obviously, I have nothing against people in the business personally, nor do I want them to be out of work.
But seriously, is it that expensive to find better suited voice actors for certain roles? Bad dubs manage to destroy a lot of immersion. Hell, it makes certain Japanese RPGs unplayable because it just hurts your ears.

EDIT: Out of curiousity, what anime / games / other things have you worked on?

Of course. Heh, I'm so used to irrational dub-hating that I immediately kind of bristle when I hear something similar to it.

Unfortunately, especially in anime, it *is* that much more expensive to find 'better' actors for those roles. Anime/JRPGs is one of the lowest-paying jobs in the business, even though it requires the most technical skill. We're lucky to get paid $65/hr (and that's Union anime, which pays more than non-union)--while that may seem like a lot at first, my sessions can be as often as once a week, or as scarce as once every few months.

However, when it comes to bigger animation names, standard day rates for Union actors can be about $500/day. I worked on one SAG feature that was low-budget. The day rate was over $200 for the day. I barely worked an hour on that project but I got the full rate.

Because of international licensing fees, the low demand and poor marketing (which thankfully, FUNimation is getting really smart with their marketing), anime is not usually cost-effective, even with non-union talent. So that's why it's very rare that you'll ever see something dubbed with bigger names. Disney can afford to throw that kind of money on a project.

Most JRPGs are done by the same studios/actors that animes are done by. I completely agree with you--there's a lot of bad stuff out there, unfortunately. And a lot of that has to do with the simple issue of timing--since we want to deliver the original product, we actors have to match everything timing-wise, which is why a lot of reads can come off as stiff or unnatural sounding. It takes a long time to get used to that sort of thing. That's why you hear a lot of the same voices in dubs because it's a very specific skill set that a lot of actors don't have. Granted, even among the ones getting work, some are better than others.

If you want a good game dub, though, you should definitely check out Tales of Vesperia. Some of the characters I don't really like, but the voice actors for Yuri and Estelle are just phenomenal.

As for stuff I've been in, I'm still relatively new, so I haven't gotten a ton of stuff. I had some bit parts in Monster, Tweeny Witches and Moribito... I was Anwar and Olly in the DS game Avalon Code. I was a lead in a show called Lyrical Nanoha. And uh, I forget the rest. XD