PDA

View Full Version : Landing with severly damaged aircraft - exception or the rule?

rnzoli
08-20-2005, 05:55 AM
Recently I successfully RTB'd my damaged IL2 on the home base runway without any elevator and rudder control available, since they were shot off by a Bf-109. I could only use ailerons, flaps, and of course, the throttle. Is this something to be proud of, or you guys regularly bring down severely damaged hardware items the same way? Truly curious.

FritzGryphon
08-20-2005, 06:02 AM
I'd say 50/50 if the elevator and another control are gone.

My funnest landing was a Heinkel which got all 3 controls knocked out by a Hurri. Turned toward home with engine controls, but had to land a few km short of the field b/c one of the engines was giving out. Made it in one piece though, wheels down.

Slater_51st
08-20-2005, 06:09 AM
One of my favorites was landing my damaged Wildcat on my carrier in the stock campaign. My 'Cat had a fuel leak(which is why I aborted and RTBed), and had no ailerons left, which made things a bit tricky to say the least.

However, the main problem wasn't my plane it was my ship. Not only was my carrier on fire, but she also had a good 10 degree list going on. I guess because I was so focused, I had the absolute best trap I've ever made in PF. Got first wire, plopped it right down on the back end of the ship and stopped stopped well short, not even a bounce http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Usually, I at least try to belly in, if not make it all the way back to base.

S! Slater

dazza9806482
08-20-2005, 06:16 AM
rarely pull it off

and pretty bad at landing while damaged too!

seriously though, i would love some tips about landing with a control surface gone

pre-4.01 rudder wasnt so bad to lose, but now its vital

deadstick landings how do u utilise these?

Siwarrior
08-20-2005, 07:16 AM
If i lose elevators i use the throttle or flaps to control height,
If i lose ailerons i use the rudder ( secondary effect of rudder is roll http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)
If i lose the rudder i just land normally ( don't use rudder much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

danjama
08-20-2005, 07:24 AM
i have never used rudder so much in the game as i do now. I never used to use it, now my love for the game has grown so much just because i use one more control surface. If i lose it, i feel like a lost soul http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Anyway, i try **** hard to land damaged planes but i hardly pass the test. I find belly landing without controls easier.

FlatSpinMan
08-20-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm with Siwarrior - I can generally land alive with one or more control surfaces shot out (always seems to be the ailerons for me) by using rudder and throttle to control height(by power) and roll/turn. Without rudder doesn't hinder me too much, I just take more care lining up the runway. This is not to say I don't write off the plane frequently - often I lose a wing or two here and there, especially in a 109, but I get down alive. Belly landing is a good option too and I quite enjoy it when I have had my engine shot up or a fuel tank leak.By the way, this happens waaaay too often. Rookie AI are uber!
I love the tension of checking distance to base or friendly zone VS altitude. You get to be quite creative, experimenting with flaps for lift, raising to gain speed, etc. Controlling the snap -stall at low speeds requires lots of joystick input too. I'd guess I have about a 60-70% survivability rate with no engine belly landings.Of course I have absolutely no basis for asserting that but it is my guess and therefore can be regarded as gospel - this IS the internet, you know. Belly-landing's charms wear thin on hilly maps or around forested areas, however, and if speed drops too low then you can kiss your virtualarse goodbye. I enjoy campaigns much more now that I play this way. I used to just hit escape and refly. Does this have any connection to the topic?

Zeus-cat
08-20-2005, 08:16 AM
I would think the rule would be if you think you have a decent chance of landing the aircraft SAFELY, go ahead and land on the runway.

If you can land the plane, but think you will trash the runway, then you should crash land or belly land near the airfield so that you leave the runway clear.

If you have minimal control and find it unlikely that you will land safely then climb to a safe altitude, point the plane in a direction away from anything important and bail out.

For carriers, the rules would be a lot tougher. Trash the deck and the carrier could lose a lot of planes because there is no place else to land. You would probably be advised by the LSO to ditch.

Zeus-cat

Deedsundone
08-20-2005, 08:22 AM
I have ditched a He 111 once using only the trims from the front gunner position (pilot was dead)Pretty hilarious.

VW-IceFire
08-20-2005, 08:50 AM
In 3.04 I felt confident in bringing home a plane even with alot of missing control surfaces or cables.

But in 4.01 I tend to bail more often. Even a lightly damaged plane I can screw up on landing now...

Pirschjaeger
08-20-2005, 11:16 AM
One of my best landing was with a 109 with no elevatoers or rudder and only one aileron. The engine torque and flaps were quite helpful.

Fritz