PDA

View Full Version : how????

PigPenn
12-28-2004, 08:18 PM
How do you get into training mode for somthing other than aircraft carriers? I need to get very very basic. I really want to learn to play this. But as with other flight sims it seems you need to be a real piolt to play. any help would be great. I would love to do more than fly in circles

PigPenn
12-28-2004, 08:18 PM
How do you get into training mode for somthing other than aircraft carriers? I need to get very very basic. I really want to learn to play this. But as with other flight sims it seems you need to be a real piolt to play. any help would be great. I would love to do more than fly in circles

Von_Zero
12-28-2004, 08:30 PM
you have the merged install or the stand-alone one? in the merged one there are tracks for explining different planes and maneuvers.
Also, i think PF manual also has a section about maneuvers, and different stuff one has to know about flying. Try and read the manual & readme, there are some things quite intresting and important in there.
Edit: just looked in the PF manual. From page 15 to page 23 there is a section called "aircraft tactics", quite a good read.

CapBackassward
12-28-2004, 08:38 PM
All good flight sims have a learning curve. This sim has a very good learning curve for each plane. Start with your system difficulty turned down and start out by flying a good first plane. Try the Hurricane, Yak 3, Spitfire V, or the La-5 to start. There are others as well but these are a good place to start. Don't give up - stick with it. You will get frustrated at times but as each day passes you will see yourself improve. After a week or two you will find yourself becoming familiar with the different subtleties of the sim. As you get better then you can add/turn on different levels of realizism at the difficulty screen.
Don't give up and stick with it. Flight sims are great and you never really get tired of them. I can walk away for a week or two when I get really burned out on it and when I finally get back to flying - I remember all over again why I love the sim so much. It's a great sim. Stick with it and if you need help post in the appropriate forum and people will help.

Hope this helps,

Rick

knightflyte
12-28-2004, 10:19 PM
I think the training portion of IL2FB/PF is rather lacking. In the original IL2 there was always an ability to control your airplane after the training "MOVIE" ended.

That is missing in the later versions.

So if I understand you correctly PIGPEN, you want to know how can you PRACTICE with out being in a combat situatuion.

ONE: Watch the training movies.
TWO: Create a "Quick Mission Builder" Mission.

Go to the "QMB" and pick a plane you'd like to fly. Don't select any enemies and make sure AAA is unchecked on the lower right.

There is a "DIFFICULTY" button where you can change behavior of your plane. You can find things like stall, redouts, and blackouts, ammo...etc.
I went for as realistic settings as I could handle in the begining. I unchecked COMPLEX ENGINE MANAGEMENT, and redouts and blackouts. When I got comfortable I added these options.

Fly. Then fly some more. Get comfortable with the plane. Find a landing strip and Land.
You'll probably crash and burn...(I still do)...but just hit refly.

To practice takeoffs....sadly... there isn't a way to set them up in QMB. (That bothered me for a while but I'd load a SINGLE mission and just refly it after takeoff. (Hit Esc...then REFLY)

If you're feeling gutsy you can create a scene where you can practice takeoffs and landings in the FULL MISSION BUILDER. (I've been flying IL2 since Nov 2002 and I'm JUST starting to use the FMB)

Also there is a section in the General forum that contains a list of common questions and links to ALL sorts of articles and helps. (I remember downloading a mission that allowed for takeoff practice...but it was a long time ago and I don't think I have it. Maybe someone can point it out if I can't locate it.

regards....and have fun
Robert

Once you go Track... you never go back.

civildog
12-28-2004, 10:35 PM
For gunnery practice just set up an enemy flight of big slow bombers or cargo planes (unarmed!) in Quick Mission Builder and give your plane unlimited ammo. Then practice till you feel ok about hitting them and knocking them down.

Then ramp up to "Rookie" level cargo planes and bombers and see how it goes.

When you want to try fighter combat do the same thing.

Experiment with different convergence ranges for the guns, notice how the plane handles with different levels of fuel, try out the different rockets and gun combos (you want fun? set up a Quick mission with you in an FW190 A-8 with Mk 108 gunpods against 4 Pe-8's loaded with the biggest bombs they can carry....blast one and watch the whole chain reaction through the flight!) etc.

And just have fun.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Better yet, set up a bunch of friendly bombers/fighters and shoot them down at your whim. You'll still get a feel for gunnery and what works but won't get shot at while you're doing it.

Shy away from using watered down settings though (i.e. unlimited ammo, fuel, stalls, spins). They should all be enabled. Some of those habits are the hardest to break.

TB

carguy_
12-29-2004, 08:35 AM
First of all you should get a good joystick and setup your settings.It makes learning a whole lot more comfortable and fun.

civildog
12-29-2004, 02:11 PM
I agree with Thunderbolt's recommendation to use the difficult settings...best way to realise the differences of all the planes, but not against friendlies.

The problem with those is that you need to learn the weaknesses and strengths of the enemy planes, and how to exploit those in combat. While at the same time learn the same things about your plane.