PDA

View Full Version : x45 or x52

Jediteo
10-12-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm thinking of buying one of these, I have saved for a couple of months now and finally I can afford the x52. Well is it worth the extra cash? Today I have the logitech extreme 3D Pro but no Track IR or any other things. Perhaps I should upgrade my pc first( I have a 2.6 celeron,768mb RAM and a geforce 5700LE

Any of you guys know what I should put my money on?

dagenham_dave
10-12-2005, 01:26 AM
well, i have 2 X-45's and i have worn out the hat switches in both, other than that, i find it a very accurate stick.

STENKA_69.GIAP
10-12-2005, 04:21 AM
I've got both, get the X52 - it's got a lighter smoother feel to the stick and an extra slider.

If your Logitec's still working that's probably just a temporary state - I've got two of them thrown in the corner for spare parts too.

Tully__
10-12-2005, 07:17 AM
I like the X-52. You'll find it a very light feel after the Logitech, but probably more reliable. I also have had the X-45 as well and I agree with Stenka that the 52 is a smoother feel. It also offers more flexibility in programming due to a few extra buttons and an extra slider.

TC_Stele
10-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Get the 52. I had the 45 and just like the 52 a lot better due to a lot of reasons. Top reason is that the 45's throttle failed with me using two sticks.

Eldon45
10-12-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm thinking of moving from an X45 to the X52. I love my X45...the only issue I've had is with the main trigger. A surprisingly small piece of plastic, attached to ONE SIDE (not the back as one might expect) of the inside of the stick, serves as the plate against which the trigger depresses. I've had to glue it back and do some rewiring a couple of times. A few Others in these forums have had to do the same, if I remember right. My question is, could you say the X52 also more durable/tougher-built than the X45 in any regards? Thanks for any responses.

SlickStick
10-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Dang ham-fisted pilots breaking their X-45 trigger, eh?!? hehehe, J/K. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Just to add another name to the "upgraded to X-52 from an X-45 and I'm loving it" crowd. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Main reasons I like X-52 better:

1. Two-step trigger; Partial pull for first assigned weapon, full trigger pull for 2nd assigned weapon. Mine is set to MGs only first step, MGs+Cannons 2nd step.

2. Much more precise axis centering.

3. More rugged and certainly feels smoother moving the stick part around. You can feel the increased robustness of the stick.

4. Extra slider for HOTAS trim assignment.

5. Nifty built-in clock and stop watch in throttle unit. Great for timing missions or doing testing of flight models.

ytareh
10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi Tully!As The Stick Man (!)what would you recommend as a Logitech Extreme 3d pro(the disposable one!)replacement.As you predicted above I found a Saitek (Cyborg Evo Platinum)unbearably limp-like just holding your hand in mid air and moving it around...I dont mind the idea of big bucks(up to say 250+ dollars) if it guarantees reliability.Not mad on the idea of the mega dear ones where you have to spend almost this on individual stick/throttle/pedals....are they worth it?Currently flying without pedals and Track IR....

Tully__
10-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Hi Tully!As The Stick Man (!)what would you recommend as a Logitech Extreme 3d pro(the disposable one!)replacement.As you predicted above I found a Saitek (Cyborg Evo Platinum)unbearably limp-like just holding your hand in mid air and moving it around...I dont mind the idea of big bucks(up to say 250+ dollars) if it guarantees reliability.Not mad on the idea of the mega dear ones where you have to spend almost this on individual stick/throttle/pedals....are they worth it?Currently flying without pedals and Track IR....
The X-52 is even lighter in feel than the Evo if that's possible, so if you really hate the light feel, don't go with the X-52. If you can find a place that has them in stock and will let you take them out of the box, try a CH Products Fighter Stick, the CH gear seems to have the longest life span per $ spent.

Beirut
10-13-2005, 04:03 AM
I reeeeally want the X52 but I still love my MS FFB2. Can I just use the X52 throttle with my FFB2 if I want to?

Thanks.

(No word of a FFB X52 I guess. That would be a nice toy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

3.JG51_BigBear
10-13-2005, 10:28 AM
I'd go with the 52. Both sticks are comperable but the 52 looks cooler and I like the twist rudder instead of the rocker switch. If you're going to go with rudder pedals I think you'll be fine with either one really.

Grey_Mouser67
10-13-2005, 11:18 AM
When the X-52 came out there was a bunch of negative press around dead zones etc related to a part in the stick...have those issues been resolved and bad sticks removed from the market?

3.JG51_BigBear
10-13-2005, 02:52 PM
They fixed that problem fairly early on and I haven't read posts about people ending up with those defective sticks in a long time. There's serial numbers to look for. Unfortunately I don't know them myself but I'm sure someone will come up with them.

lrrp22
10-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Beirut:
I reeeeally want the X52 but I still love my MS FFB2. Can I just use the X52 throttle with my FFB2 if I want to?

Absolutely. I'm doing just that, and loving it!

cheers,
LRRP

VC81_GLIDER
10-13-2005, 03:59 PM
I have both. I work out of town and use a laptop for my gaming. I took my X-45 to my work location and use the X-52 at home. Never had a problem with either. Very sturdy units. I do like the extra slider on my X-52. The twist stick for rudder in my opinion is much better that the toggle on the X-45 throttle. I use the CH Pro pedals with my X-52. Killer setup!! The X-52 is noticeably smoother than the X-45 and also has the digital display which has some neat functions such as stopwatch. Given the choice between upgrading your stick or getting a Trackir... I would definitely get the trackir especially if you have a decent & workable joystick.

Bearcat99
10-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Beirut:

Thanks.

(No word of a FFB X52 I guess. That would be a nice toy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

If you have a working MSFFB2 then I suggest you get the X-45 instead of the X-52. Especially if all you want is the throttle. If you are in the U.S. then try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) first. The reasons I recommend the X-45 over the X-52 if you have a MSFFB2 that you want to keep are:

1)If you arent going to use the X-52 stick then things like the two stage trigger, smoother feel and twist rudder arent as important.
2)You can use the twist on the MSFFB2 stick for your rudder and the rudder rocker of the X-45 as a switch... I use mine for flaps. Of course if you get rudder pedals then the rudder thing is moot.
3)You can use the X-45 stick solely as a button bay.
4)If you intend to and/or prefer to continue using your MSFFB2 stick then spend $39.. consider it $39 for a throttle and a button bay instead of $39 for a stick.

FB supports up to 4 controllers. The X-45/X-52 is only seen as oe controller... If you are tired of the MS stick or you want a suitable back up and dont mind spending the extra cash for it then by all means get the 52.... but if all you really want it for is the throttle.... go with the X-45. You wont regret it.

I use every part of my X-45.. even the X&Y axii of the joystick, which I have turned into a big 4 way lever.... pull it to 6 o'clock and I can unlock and lock my tailwheel, push it to 12 o'clock and I raise lower my auto gear. Push it to 9 and it is manual raise... push it to 3 and it is manual lower. The buttons on the stick I assign to everything from drop tanks, to fire extinguisher, mixture,supercharger,lights,smoke,seperate engine start etc.... I keep the stick on my left just above the throttle since I am a righty and I fly with my MSFFB2. Toss in a set of CH rudder pedals (http://www.provantage.com/buy-110CHPU-ch-shopping.htm) and you are golden. I still havent figured out what to do with my MSFFB2 twist handle.

Beirut
10-14-2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks Bearcat99 & VC81-GLIDER.

Only the X52 is available in my area. I'm sure I'd at least use the X52 flightstick from time to time just for fun (It's all about the fun!), but it is the throttle I want most.

Is it as simple as plugging in the throttle into a USB port and "voila!", I now have a working throttle to go with the FFB2, or is there more to it?

For now I'm just using the command pad that came with my Saitek PC Gamer keyboard as my throttle. It's certainly not a HOTAS, but it does get the keyboard off the desk and opens up more room and lets you keep your eyes on the flying.

Bearcat99
10-14-2005, 06:18 AM
Thats it basically.... FB will recognize the two controllers for ID purposes but it will look at the stick and throttle as one unit with two pieces. Where do you live? If you are in the US check out that link... oh wait.... are you in Beirut? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Even if yopu dont use the flight stick itself, by using the Saitek software you can program the stick.. it isnt hard to learn and it is very very versatile. The thing I like most about my setup is that I have the best of it all... I have a decent HOTAS, FFB, rudder pedals.... and TIR.... if you toss in VAC you are at immersion central.

Beirut
10-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Bearcat99,

Actually, I'm in Quebec. Beirut was my dog. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I think I'll be picking up the X52 pretty soon. It's not cheap, $200Cdn., but it looks like a helluva nice toy.

Thanks for the help.

Lav69
10-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Tully__:
I like the X-52. You'll find it a very light feel after the Logitech, but probably more reliable. I also have had the X-45 as well and I agree with Stenka that the 52 is a smoother feel. It also offers more flexibility in programming due to a few extra buttons and an extra slider.

I have both also and Tully is exactly right. Get the 52.

CD_kp84yb
10-15-2005, 02:29 PM
heya

I bought a X52 a few weeks ago, i thought my old flight system was gone, but after i took it apart, cleaned and greased it again it was like new again.
Well to be short , i threwed the X52 where it belongs , in the garbagebin, the ruddertwist i dont like the stick is to light in handling and the travel to big, i gave it a try for a few runs, but never could get used to that ruddertwist. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
So im using my old trusty Gravis Phoenix again, rudder and throttle contol by left hand the rest by the right hand plus 27 programable buttons.

Maybe you guys have better luck, but the X52 isnt my stick of choice, i found out that the sliders use man o man, its handy trim on slider or rotary wheel.

regards

sithgod
10-17-2005, 03:22 AM
I think I'll be picking up the X52 pretty soon. It's not cheap, $200Cdn.

I have the 52 and I love and my new baby loves stareing at the pretty blue lights. I bought mine from Radio shack now The source for around 169.00 still hefty but its better than 200.00

Beirut
10-17-2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by sithgod:

I have the 52 and I love and my new baby loves stareing at the pretty blue lights. I bought mine from Radio shack now The source for around 169.00 still hefty but its better than 200.00

$170 is better than $200. That's for sure. Glad you're enjoying the new toy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Now I'm a bit torn over whether I should just buy a simple joystick for $40 to use as an impro left hand throttle instead of the X52 since I want to keep using my MS FFB2 and the X52 handle might go somewhat unused. Mind you , the flightsick makes a great backup and being without a flightstick for more than a few days would be downright painful.

I'd buy the CH throttle but it's not available around here. The X52 is the only advanced flight gear anyone stocks within 100 miles of me.

Hell, I could even just stick with using the command pad that came with my Saitek PC Gamer keyboard. It's not so bad. And with the $200 I save, I could throw in another 512 RAM, buy F.E.A.R. , and a bottle of Wild Tukey.

Decisions, decisions...

Aint it fun. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Edit: Good review here - http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ch_products_saitek_x52_review/

I'm now leaning towards not getting the stick. The review cites the stick as spikey and way too light in feel as well as of questionable durabitlity. Mind you, the review say the throttle is almost worth the whole price.

He rates the CH products as superior for hardcore flyers. Might just have to find a CH throtle somehow...