PDA

View Full Version : Wow, the climbing animations look totally fromage.

RzaRecta357
09-03-2011, 09:44 AM
What happened to grabbing every little knook and cranny like Altair? I loved that and was one of my favourite things about the game upon release.

Then Ezio comes and the buildings are super tall so they had to speed it up. I can live with that.

But because of this damned hook blade....even the Mplayer characters are like leaping up the wall in a cheesy Uncharted climbing fashion.

Thoughts?

Samuel032593
09-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Making the game more fast paced for the newby people who haven't really played AC before. All that patience in today's game, how dare they make the game realistic!!! So, they dumb down the climbing so new comers aren't so intimidated I guess. Doesn't make much sense to me but, oh well, at least Ezio is still awesome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ChaosxNetwork
09-03-2011, 09:56 AM
The buildings in the different ages are drasically different. Also there is a lot more climbing involved in Ezio's games for mission, navigation ect. So they had to speed it up.
Combined means that the climbing is different and better in my opinion.
The Mutliplayer part I couldn't care less about.

RzaRecta357
09-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by xHITx_Chaos:
The buildings in the different ages are drasically different. Also there is a lot more climbing involved in Ezio's games for mission, navigation ect. So they had to speed it up.
Combined means that the climbing is different and better in my opinion.
The Mutliplayer part I couldn't care less about.

Yeah well those buildings that were like 3-4 stories in AC2?

The Mplayer characters jump up them in ONE jump after the initial wallrun.

ONE JUMP.

Now, I assume Ezio is doing this too because the mplayer characters kinda do the hook animation I think.

Velvit
09-03-2011, 10:06 AM
It looks weird in multiplayer, like they are floating up the building.

I agree with you, it does look like they are using the hook blade animation.

reini03
09-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Aren't you still climbing in Alta´r speed when not holding the high profile button?

twenty_glyphs
09-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I am glad that they're speeding up the navigation. It's always been a fun system but a little on the slow side compared to fun navigation in other games. Darby McDevitt mentioned in an E3 demo that you could climb up buildings faster if you want to, so it sounded like if you don't do anything you will climb slow like in the previous games. I would imagine holding down the high profile button is what's making people leap-climb the buildings faster. I also really like how you can swing up onto a beam after grabbing it instead of waiting to slowly climb it.

notafanboy
09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
in my opinion the new climbing animation looks a little ******ed. it looks like they are floating up the wall

Ulicies
09-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Have you any video to show us what you're talking about?

FuseUnison
09-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Ulicies:

I'd be really interested in seeing this as well. Could anyone record themselves and youtube it? =)

Dagio12
09-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by FuseUnison:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ulicies:

I'd be really interested in seeing this as well. Could anyone record themselves and youtube it? =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

escoblades put up a video of a deathmatch game..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...=channel_video_title (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PGscxcnDd0&feature=channel_video_title)

FuseUnison
09-03-2011, 03:20 PM
escoblades put up a video of a deathmatch game..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...=channel_video_title (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PGscxcnDd0&feature=channel_video_title)

Thanks. Yeah, I checked out the link, and I did a bit of looking around at other multiplayer matches people had put up. I never could find one where people were doing the whole "floating" up a 3 story building with one jump past the initial wall run. Everything I found still looked normal. =/

Ulicies
09-03-2011, 03:26 PM
That deathmatch style sounds like something I could get into. And yeah, it IS kind of looking a little more unrealistic with how you just skip up with two paces onto a second-story building. But I guess that's just going to help speed up gameplay, so I'm not going to fully judge until I play it.

RzaRecta357
09-04-2011, 02:21 AM
So, anyone see the new way they climb up onto a board sticking out of the building?

He swings around it like a pole and lands on it in a spiderman pose.

Totally prince of persia and totally whack.

BK-110
09-04-2011, 07:08 AM
To be honest, while it wasn't quite as smoothly animated, the climbing in Bloodlines was probably what looked most like something you would see real parkour-practitioners do, as far as I know...

That said, I kind of prefer the new climbing animations to those from AC2 and Brotherhood, as they are at least slightly less monotone looking... Besides, you can still climb like Alta´r, you just have to release the high-profile button.

SixKeys
09-04-2011, 08:13 AM
For the Ezio gameplay the hookblade climbing animations will probably work, but for MP it looks unnatural and silly (because they don't HAVE hookblades). In the GamesCom demo we saw Alta´r climbing at a normal pace, if a little faster than in AC1. Why couldn't they keep the hookblade climbing exclusive to Ezio and have the MP characters climb Alta´r style?

NewBlade200
09-04-2011, 08:36 AM
It looks weird. They seem to weigh almost nothing. How does a hook help you climb like that?

Ulicies
09-04-2011, 09:58 AM
First of all, if we were to go ultra-realistic on everything, the hookblade would break after trying to put your entire weight on it, ie for climbing. But my two gripes are 1: when the MP characters use a hidden gun out of NOTHING (apparently their fingers!), and 2: when they magically grab the ledge with nothing, theoretically using the hookblade, but lacking any visual cue due to Ubisoft's laziness.

lukaszep
09-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I was under the impression the style of climbing just depends on the city.
AC1- lots of buildings the same level, climbing alot was rare.
AC2- Much more varied heights, more buildings so climbing a bit quicker to reach higher holds.
AC:B- Same as AC2
AC:R- Constantinople has lots of different levels as it's on hills, and tall buildings, so hookblade speeds it up and is useful to get across the city.

But i don't know why it's in MP. Maps are too small and speed isn't necessary with climbing, the buildings aren't tall. If you want to get up a building fast you use a lift.
I agree it looks a bit unrealistic, but i wouldn't say they were floating. It's more like spiderman.

RzaRecta357
09-04-2011, 02:36 PM
So I take it all back. I now love it.

AC1 climbing -- Don't press anything.

AC2 climbing -- Hold R1.

Hookblade climbing -- Hold R1 AND X.

Calvarok
09-05-2011, 08:41 PM
They look more like actual parkour does than anything in AC1-Brotherhood.

And they're better animated too.

twenty_glyphs
09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:

AC2 climbing -- Hold R1.

Is this info confirmed by someone with the beta? I was thinking they might do something along these lines, which I think is perfect. I thought it would be a little much to force you to always climb super fast with the hookblade, since there are times you wouldn't want that, like sneaking up on a rooftop guard and taking enough time to watch them. I presume that most people usually keep holding the A/X button even while climbing even though it doesn't do anything in previous games. The strategy guide even made it a point to not do that, since it could lead to an accidental backwards leap.

naran6142
09-06-2011, 03:04 PM
it does look a little funky to me. but it makes chases a little easy when your target goes up the lift, you can climb the wall in a few seconds so you dont lose sight

it might be improved those, since its only the beta

RzaRecta357
09-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RzaRecta357:

AC2 climbing -- Hold R1.

Is this info confirmed by someone with the beta? I was thinking they might do something along these lines, which I think is perfect. I thought it would be a little much to force you to always climb super fast with the hookblade, since there are times you wouldn't want that, like sneaking up on a rooftop guard and taking enough time to watch them. I presume that most people usually keep holding the A/X button even while climbing even though it doesn't do anything in previous games. The strategy guide even made it a point to not do that, since it could lead to an accidental backwards leap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha yeah, I learned it whilst playing the beta.