PDA

View Full Version : Player Reviews?

dprimm
11-05-2004, 02:48 PM
I would appriciate some player reviews of this title. I have not bought a flight sim in many years as I have been awaiting a quality Pacific Theater title.

How is this title as a single player game?
Will my rig run this title in all its glory?
My Rig:
AMD2700+
1gig ram
Nvidia 6800GT.

Thanks for any replies.

dprimm
11-05-2004, 02:48 PM
I would appriciate some player reviews of this title. I have not bought a flight sim in many years as I have been awaiting a quality Pacific Theater title.

My Rig:
AMD2700+
1gig ram
Nvidia 6800GT.

Thanks for any replies.

heinkill
11-05-2004, 02:59 PM
You won't find player reviews . . . no one has actually 'played' PF yet. Anyone who bought it is still busy tweaking!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

chipwich
11-05-2004, 03:07 PM
If you haven't bought a flight sim title in many years, then you don't own any of the IL-2 series and logic would dictate that you will be really impressed.

I haven't played it much single player other than offline practice, but as the CO of a very active squad, I can tell you that *everyone* in my group loves it. As a real life pilot, I can tell you the flight model "feels" the best of any PC based sim that I have tried. Though hard to say how you will judge it, given the fact that you may have been out of simming for a while.

It should run really well on your system.

TAW_BlueDevil
11-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Having owned the entire IL2 series, and CFS2 and others, this is by far the best ww2 era sim available. Its by far worth every bit of the $70 US to get Pacific fighters and the FB gold pack. Is it perfect? No. Are there improvements needed and planes to be added? Yes. Will these things happen? Without a doubt. Based on all the years of ongoing support and personal involvement, these things will happen.

You wont be disapointed. It should run flawlessly on your system, even with perfect water, taking advantage of your good video card.

dprimm
11-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will have to pick this one up tonight. WW2 Fighters from Janes is the last flight sim I bought. I love the fact that this title seems to have carrier take-offs and landings. I do not mind a tough challenge or having to run missions several times before being able to complete them. I have always liked WW2 sims for the dog-fights. I could never get into a modern combat sim, I never liked the idea of shooting down a plane that was 2 miles away.

Bearcat99
11-05-2004, 03:56 PM
My Rig:
AMD2700+
1gig ram
Nvidia 6800GT.
Thanks for any replies.[/QUOTE]

First off your rig will handle th sim just fine. Secondly.. get a decent joystick. Something like an X45 or sdomething along those lines. The Logitechs tend to die a bit faster from what I hear on the forums and personal experience.

The Sim.......
All the complaints not withstanding.... IL2 Forgotten Battles 3.0 ....... and thats how I look at the sim. Dont just look at Pacific Fightere.Look at the whole thiong.... is hands down the absolute best WW2 flight sim on the market today. Bar none. The damage models are top notch... no hit bubbles here. Flight models? Well again... some people have a ;lot of negative things to say about them. I find them to be excellent. Out of the over 200 aircraft you will have at your disposal if you go the Forgotten Battles GOLD + Pacific Fighters route.. each one will fly a bit differently. The maps are absolutely breathtaking. On your rig they should leave you speechless. The sounds are good... some say they could be better and I agree some of them could be different.. but what is in the sim is by no means shoddy at all. I have flown te entire CFS series...... Aces High, Warbirds II & III and I dabbled in Fighter Ace. None of them come close to this sim. Do yourself a favor. If you are into warbirds, WW2 history, flight sims, or if you just want to try something new.... get the Forgotten Battles Aces Expansion Pack GOLD which comprises the original Forgotten Battles and the Aces expansion... and get Pacific Fighters and install it 1st FB, then the AEP, then PF. For a good deal on a Saitek X45 try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) first. You may get a decent deal on an X45 there. They are reconditioned by Saitek and usually they just have a few scratches on them. Even at the full price of $75 you are talking a great stick. Thsi sim is highly scalable and very programmable as far as functions go. Im talking a working K-14 gunsight in one versionof the P-51.... damage models so tight that in a near collision you can knock off your landing gear. You can get your hydraulics shot out and have to either belly land or cra nk your gear down by hand. You can kill the pilot... or be killed in suddden death as your screen suddenly goes black under the withering fire of your opponent. AI? Well this AI is the best I have ever seen. Some guys again say that they are too easy... well I guess they must be better than me. See when I look at AI and I find myself waxing them good... I just up the odds against me. Guys want to judge the AI by a 1 vs one scenario and you just cant do that. There is no way that the AI can compete one on one with a human as well as a human and still stay within the confines of a close physics engine. Even as it is now thw AI can see through clouds... one drawback so dont try to hide there.... Online play? Well you can team iup with others against the AI or you can go head to head with live pilots. Its just a great sim man. Check it out.... unless you just are the type of person who will never be satisfied or are some kind of perfectionist..... looking for perfection where it is t going to be found... then you should be able to appreciate this sim.

dprimm
11-05-2004, 04:17 PM
I have an MS Force Feedback 2. Will this be good flight stick?

Voidable
11-05-2004, 04:26 PM
yes thats a good stick if you have been waiting for a good one you found it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif this game is awsome love what thay did with PF ...so you need to go buy FB download the free patches
from web site and get aces . then your all set http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bearcat99
11-05-2004, 09:35 PM
I use a MSFFB2 stick as well.... along with an X45 and CH pedals. It is a sweet combo.. even without the pedals. If you can get an X45 at that reconditioned price I highly recommend it as this sim supports up to four controllers and the X45 is seen as one controller.. the throttle plugs into the stick and the stick is USB. I originally bought the X45 because I wanted a throttle. I was going to go CH or Cougar.. but then the X45 went on sale and so I figured what the hey.. if worse comes to worse I can jut put the stick behind my monitor or under my desk out of the way. Much tomy delight i discovered that I could also use the X45 stick as well. I only use the buttons and switches on it... not the pich and roll axii. That is on my MSFFB2 stick... along with WEPS, some views,gunsight toggle,wing fold,chocks... my prop pitch is on the MSFFB throttle slider and rudder trim is on the twist handle. I am so used to force feedback and I find the combo with an X45 is the best way to have it both ways.... FFB and a decent HOTAS without spending a wad of cash. The X45 stick I use for its switches.. I have commands like all my lights (there are 4 light commands that I use including tip smoke but in actuality I think there are a few more..) .... all my gear (there are 4 gear commands)mixture,seperate engine start,drop tanks,engine start, bail out,left engine,right engine,supercharger,feather prop,detach aircraft..... on the X45 throttle I have mouse pan, elevator and aileron trim, flaps (the rudder rocker) more views,radiator,map,padlocks (I have several padlocks mapped in different modes on the same 4 way switch) and some other stuff...... The way I have it arranged on my desk... my FFB is at 2 oclock... the X45 throttle is at 10 oclock and the X45 stick is at 11 oclock. The X45 stick doesnt have to be at my right side since I dont use the axii..... Hmmmmmmmm it would be nice to take those pots out and use them as sliders... I wonder how doable that would be.