PDA

View Full Version : Graphics problem resolve/help

nakee1
09-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Regarding WinXP & Nvidia 6800; I installed the game and it would lock-up at main menu screen [black screen with one icon (Prima Help)]. Turn "ON" vertical sync and turn "OFF" shadows. It maybe just one of the two changes, but I wanted to get word out fast on how to get the game going.
In order to get the menu loaded, I clicked on the only icon available which opens your browser and minumizes the game [be patient as this takes a while to respond]. Then, close the browser and the full menu appears. The cursor will react sluggishly but workable. In the Video tab, select shadows "Off" and Vertical sync "on". Click "OK" on bottom right. The game will quit and you'll be back at your desk top. Start the game again, and your off -n- running!

maztec
09-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips nakee http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

myster3
09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
hmmm, i am running XP (SP2) with a 6800GT and have no graphics problems at all. what nvidia driver set are you using. i am running on 71.89.

-myster3

nakee1
09-22-2005, 04:36 PM
XP Home w/SP2, same drivers but I have the GTS made by PNY w/128MB cache. P4 2.4a Intel, 1GB DDR, Asus P4C800-E main board. All my hardware is updated with the latest drivers. Could be just a PNY thing? not sure

myster3
09-22-2005, 04:53 PM
i am running a P4 3.2e, 1GB DDR, and the same mobo as you. my card is an EVGA 256MB.

if you have the same forceware drivers as me, i doubt this problem has anything to do with your video card. my next step in investigation (if it were my problem) would be to check on my sound card drivers (soundblaster cards in particular many times cause problems that would at first appear to be video-related). it is also a good idea to see what is running in regards to background applications. virus-scan prgs, pop-up blockers, shared-computing apps - that sort of thing.

-myster3

nakee1
09-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Excellent idea myster3! And yes, I do have a soundblaster Live 5.1 card. I don't think it's anything running in the background because I closed everything out, trying to resolve the problem. My card is running on WMI drivers as I can't get anything else that is DX 9 compatible. Any suggestions? Also, perhaps it's our Forceware Settings that differ. I'm using "global settings" with high quality performance set.

myster3
09-22-2005, 06:15 PM
okay, so no background apps running... good...

are you saying that the latest Live! 5.1 drivers on the creative website aren't DX9.0c compatible?

my forceware is set to "global" as well, but mine is set to "quality". so, since we have a difference there, you might want to try lowering to "quality" and see if it works. also, do you have the box checked that lets AA be application controlled?

finally - are you comfortable working with (altering settings in) your system BIOS?

-myster3

PepperPucky
09-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Ooh, BIOS! I let my hubby fiddle with those.

However, I mention it because I was having tons of problems getting Myst IV to work and sure enough, as a last resort he checked the BIOS and they turned out to be way old.

As soon as he updated them, I was off and running.

nakee1
09-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Yes, Soundblaster's only driver for my card is the one that's installed. The card technology is outdated I guess. The last driver update was back in 2003.
Regarding AA: I have them turned off in the game and set to application control in Forceware.
Regarding BIOS: no problem with that, know my way around pretty well. Been working on PC's since the ice age. lol

==bang head on keyboard to continue.....

myster3
09-22-2005, 07:03 PM
nakee1,

OOPS! just realized i actually have an ASUS P4P 800SE. still, it's basically the same as yours...

well, having AA set to app-controlled is a good thing...

here are a few things you can do/try.

1) go into Device Manager and disable your soundcard. now try running Myst V and see how it responds. still have problems? well, then at least you know it has nothing to do with the SB 5.1 card/drivers.

2) i figured you'd be okay with BIOS (based on your previous comments), but it is always best to ask! anyway, make sure you have the latest version. i'll bet you have already updated it or at least checked - but if you haven't, do so. ASUS has updated the BIOS for our mobo this year at least once. if you have never updated BIOS before, ASUS makes it a breeze, if you installed the utility that was on the disk that came with the mobo, you can actually flash the BIOS right in Windows! go for it, if you haven't yet.

3) do you know what kind of RAM you have (i'm assuming you built your system?)? if so, let me know - if not, then find out!

-myster3

nakee1
09-22-2005, 07:10 PM
myster3, just went back and changed my forceware to "quality" from "high quality" and it ran fine. I changed the in game options back "shadows ON & vertical sync OFF" and the game still runs fine.
It was the performance setting that was doing it in my Forceware Adjustments! The only draw back is it seems my "bitmaps" are much lower now in the game. Any more suggestions or should we consider the problem resolved?

=bang head on keyboard to continue....

nakee1
09-22-2005, 07:20 PM
myster3, yes on the BIOS update and yes, it is very easy now, you can do it right from the GUI !
Let's see, just bought some new ones. Mushkin DDR sp3200

myster3
09-22-2005, 07:24 PM
nakee1,

well, that is a good sign! i'd still look into updating your BIOS if you haven't, but it's more of an option now than a troubleshooting measure.

i'm sure you realize that the setting change you made reduced some of your vid card's advanced optimizations like bitmap filtering and such. i'm sure your visual quality is suffering due to that combined with reduced anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing. do you have all of the video settings within the game turned all the way up?

i'd be willing to bet that the guys at CYAN are not as good at making a stable kick-*** 3D engine as are developers like id, croteam, unreal, and lithtech. it's my guess that turning on all of those advanced video options (in the high quality setting) resulted in some sort of instability in their engine, and by turning off the shadows you removed the issue (the V-Synch *probably* had nothing to do with it). turing up all of the options they offer is far safer, as i'm sure they are smart enough to have made sure their own options won't crash the game on the average system.

i'm going to go ahead and try to run the game with "high quality" turned on. i'll get back to you with my results.

-myster3

nakee1
09-22-2005, 07:37 PM
myster3, sorry, I was meaning that "yes" my BIOS is updated. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
yes, please let me know what you find out. I went back and turned mine on and the problem came back again. Having the setting on "quality" does the trick. I even now have all in game settings to the highest level and it's playing just fine, except for the lost bitmaps.
I wonder if by changing the BIOS setting "AGP" would make any difference. It's set to 256. My system information tells me that my AGP bus speed is on at 8X. I'm not sure if that can be turned down to 4X and if that would help either.

myster3
09-22-2005, 07:48 PM
nakee1,

i just did some testing and i am able to play the game with the Forceware high-quality option enabled and all in-game options maxxed-out.

it's up to you now. if you are happy with the game on "quality", then we are done here - otherwise i'm happy to keep offering help with what little knowledge i have.

when you say "lost bitmaps", what exactly do you mean by that?

to be honest, the game looked about the same to me either way. the textures are still very poor when viewed up-close, and everything else looks about the same in either quality or high-quality. i guess i can do some high-rez screenshot comparisons and really scrutinize it.

-myster3

nakee1
09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Oops, the driver for my sound card is WDM, not WMI. My bad! What was I thinking!lol

myster3
09-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by nakee1:
Oops, the driver for my sound card is WDM, not WMI. My bad! What was I thinking!lol

yeah, that does make a lot more sense! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-myster3

nakee1
09-22-2005, 08:09 PM
PepperPucky, yes you're right. BIOS updates are important, as you found out. One of the biggest known problems on PC's in general is outdated drivers and firmware;
BIOS updates
Chipset updates
Peripheral updates
OS updates
and if that isn't enough, we have spyware running amuk and causing all kinds of problems.
Anyone running WinXP should have "at least" the following;
1 Virus Program w/auto update
1 Spyware Program w/auto update
SP2 installed
MS new beta Anti Spyware
With all that installed, updated, and run. It's a good idea to download a registry cleaner program and run it. The registry cleaner will clean out the trash created by adding/removing programs and spyware imprints. Just do a system restore point before running it, just in case it causes problems. Most of the registry cleaner programs do this automatically. If you need more info on the above, just drop me a line in this post.

nakee1
09-22-2005, 08:15 PM
myster3, hmmm how interesting! We have almost identical systems yet, I experience problems, you don't. Do you think changing the AGP port size or speed would make a difference? If your vid card is 256, then you should have your port set to 256. I have a 128 card with the port set to 256. Let me try it real quick, and find out.

myster3
09-22-2005, 08:17 PM
nakee1,

AGP aperture size is an odd beast. on some systems you set it at whatever you want and nothing happens. on others, it can make a real difference.

i have always heard that you should set it to half of your video card RAM. so, i have mine set to 128. however, i have tried mine at other settings, and never noticed a difference!

-myster3

nakee1
09-22-2005, 09:02 PM
myster3, sorry for the delay, I'm experiencing additional problems now. I thought the aperture size was to be set to vid card ram or larger. Anything less would bottle neck the data coming from the vid card. I reduced it to 128 with no difference in the game.
Hey, just realized I've updated my drivers the other day for the vid card and forgot about it.
My drivers are now 78.01, are you sure of yours?

myster3
09-22-2005, 09:46 PM
i'm using the older 71.89 drivers. there have been no real performance or stability issues addressed since then, so i thought "why bother?" most (if not all) of the driver changes since 71 have been in relation to SLI, and 6600 and 6500 cards.

maybe try rolling back to 71.89? couldn't hurt anything...

-myster3

nakee1
09-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Sounds good. I'll do it next morning and post the outcome. You didn't see any difference in the graphics with the setting turned down to quality. I went back and checked again. I see a big difference. Could very well be the drivers! Thanks for your help today myster3.

Naquiel
09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Well for me i had the same problem that the Original poster had, but i went a different route. I just played Myst 5 on my alienware labtop. Worked fine and im already done with the game.

Mr Zebe D
09-23-2005, 01:13 AM
The AGP hole is virtual memory on disk and works the same way as virtual memory for your RAM. It should be 2* Graphics RAM or 1/2 system RAM. (They're both the same for me).

nakee1
09-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Thanks Naquiel & Mr Zebe D for your insights. I have removed the latest drivers and installed drivers 71.89. The problem is worse! I also disabled my sound card, made no difference. I have performance setting at "quality" and the game locks up, so I was better off with the new drivers.
I give up! I'm anxious to play the game, so I'm going to "take out my Nvidia 6800" and install my "ATI XR800" and see if that works better.
The reason why I chose Nvidia over ATI is because their drivers support Win98 for dual booting, which I had at one time but no longer.
After I change my vid card, I'll update this post with my results.
For those that have the 6800 card, follow my original post, make sure you have the latest drivers installed. If that doesn't work, set your performance setting to "quality" after a reboot. {Good Luck}

nakee1
09-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Video card swap completed. Oh my gosh! What a difference! Running ATI X800pro with custom settings set to "application control". I have all settings in game maxed out, and it runs and looks great!
I've gotta go help Yeesha now, thanks for all the help.

-bang head on keyboard to continue....

Naquiel
09-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Ya i think the devs at cyan didnt have to much time working with the newer Nvidia cards and will find that more ppl will be poping up.

Oh i have the regular 6800 nvidia card in my desktop and it was made by pny.

myster3
09-23-2005, 09:39 AM
nakee1,

well, glad you found a fix, even if it took a ridiculous amount of work! i guess i should be thankful that my NVIDIA 6800GT works fine, considering many others seem to experiencing problems with similar cards.

enjoy the game!

-myster3

betsietje
09-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Hello i'm running the end of ages, and when i go towards a wall or make a turn the screen is grey and after a few clicks i have visuals again, this is very frustrating.... anyone that can help? thanks

nakee1
09-24-2005, 04:46 AM
myster3, thanks for all your help. It seems like only a small random number of ppl have problems with the 6800 at this point. But, like you, I believe more and more are likely to pop up.

nakee1
09-24-2005, 04:49 AM
betsietje, it sounds like a video card / driver problem. Can you give me more info on your system setup?
Video Card Model
Driver Version
CPU
etc....

betsietje
09-24-2005, 08:27 AM
=bang head on keyboard to continue....[/QUOTE]
Hi nakee1 thanks for responding
videocard is 128mb Geforce 6200
cpu is 630
driver version i don't know, i have this computers since last week.
Hope this wil help