PDA

View Full Version : WAIT A MINUTE!!

VF2_Sarge
01-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Hes a thought for ya all. I have been flying alot of one on one in Quick Mission Builder to hone my skills so that I can keep up with you guys in PF. I have been fly a Wildcat and Hellcat vs Zero, difficulty set to Rookie. And while in the US a/c I was about 50% ration for shooting down the zero vs being shot down myself. Then I decided to jump into a Zero with the same setting and my ration suddenly jumped to 100%?!?! Now, I'm not that great of a pilot nor do I claim to be a good shot. I would probably say tha "I SUCK!!" But, can someone do that math for me and figure out how that all works out? I'm really starting to get disappointed in this game, mainly because I'm tired for getting blown out of the sky while flying the planes I love to fly. I know that this is a big problem in the IL-2/AEP/PF realm, but come on. Just a thought. S!

Sarge

VF2_Sarge
01-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Hes a thought for ya all. I have been flying alot of one on one in Quick Mission Builder to hone my skills so that I can keep up with you guys in PF. I have been fly a Wildcat and Hellcat vs Zero, difficulty set to Rookie. And while in the US a/c I was about 50% ration for shooting down the zero vs being shot down myself. Then I decided to jump into a Zero with the same setting and my ration suddenly jumped to 100%?!?! Now, I'm not that great of a pilot nor do I claim to be a good shot. I would probably say tha "I SUCK!!" But, can someone do that math for me and figure out how that all works out? I'm really starting to get disappointed in this game, mainly because I'm tired for getting blown out of the sky while flying the planes I love to fly. I know that this is a big problem in the IL-2/AEP/PF realm, but come on. Just a thought. S!

Sarge

Equilizer
01-25-2005, 09:01 AM
First - the AI does not run away. They try to turn fight in planes that are at a huge disadvantage in turn fights.

The Hellcat and Wildcat can turn inside a Zero at speed and only briefly, after that, the Zero can turn inside them. If you expect the Wildcat or Hellcat to do everything better than the Zero, you may be reading the wrong history books.

Take a Zero up against a human in a Wildcat or Hellcat, and the outcome will be far different.

Jester_159th
01-25-2005, 09:02 AM
My first guess would be you're trying to engage in turn fights. There is very little chance of a human player losing a turn fight in a Zero vs either and F4 or F6 (or nearly any other plane for that matter) with the AI set to rookie.

On the otherhand, winning a turn fight in those planes vs an AI Zero (set as you said on rookie) is possible, simce the rookie AI can and does make mistakes as a human rookie pilot would do. Try it with the AI set to ace and the chances are your win ration will drop to near 0%.

Basically I would say that you're not using the right tactics in the F4 or F6 and are therefore not using the plane's stregnths but rather exposing it's weaknesses. Whereas your natural flying style is more suited to the way a Zero needs to be used.

J_Weaver
01-25-2005, 09:04 AM
OK...tell the truth, your really trying to turn fight with those zeros. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

All jokes aside, don't try to tun will the Zero. Use your speed and altitude to Boom and Zoom. Dive on your target, fire and climb up for another pass if needed. Pratice, pratice, pratice. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1 on 1 in a Wildcat should be tough. In a Hellcat it should be easier but you still have to stay on your toes.

Good Luck!

Slick750
01-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Well, maybe you just found out the Zero fits your style more then the planes you like best. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

VW-IceFire
01-25-2005, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF2_Sarge:

Sarge <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The QMB isn't a good indicator for a proper battle between a Zero and the Hellcat or Wildcat. More often than not, you'd have at least a four plane flight enter into a combat zone and they would have been on the same relative course for a while so the speed has built up, even under cruise speeds (while QMB rewards the faster accelerating plane). Then you have the good potential that one flight is higher than the other by a good margin. This is how you win fights. To win an air battle, the attacker dives in on the defender. Hellcats would dive in on Zeros take a shot and then climb back up to where they started. This would be done in a group bouncing the opposing planes all at once.

QMB favors the angle or turn fighter because of the distances, the relative sameness of approach altitude (even if there is advantage disadvantage), and the need to accelerate upto top speed quickly.

In a coop scenario online, you see quickly how superior the Hellcat can be over Zeros.

VF2_Sarge
01-25-2005, 09:57 AM
I would like to thank all comments posted. And, after reviewing the tracks of my dogfights your all absolutely right. The main thing was looking for was gunnery practice using the QMB, but I always found myself on the reciving end instead of giving. And, your right I having been trying to turn with the zeros. I used the
Rookie settings mainly because I really couldn't keep up with the Average or higher skills. Do any of you have any suggestions with gunnery skills. I always find myself undershooting and over flying. So, besides practice, any suggestions? S!

Sarge

Equilizer
01-25-2005, 10:04 AM
If you set the planes you are going up against to have their loadout as "empty", they won't have any ammo. I don't even think they try to dogfight, they do some basic evasion.

harryklein66
01-25-2005, 12:51 PM
don't forget to set your gun convergence, 300m is a good setting, but do some test to find witch one is the best for you.
(500m is good too especially for B&Z or front pass)

Akronnick
01-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Try setting up some friendly AI bombers to shoot at, they won't shoot back and they won't try to evade, they'll just yell over the radio to stop shooting at them. that way you can focus on target practice and not worry about dogfighting. then when you start making mincemeat outta the targets, you can up the ante and go for enemy fighters.

Mackane1
01-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Also...online Zeros are much easier to fight than AI Zeros. Online a Zero can't survive a high speed dive whereas offline I've had them follow me into a 450mph dive with their guns blazing...and they'd survive without so much as a control surface ripping off.