PDA

View Full Version : Game doesn't load now...

MB-BOB
03-12-2005, 05:43 PM
I played FB+AEP+PF just yesterday, but a day later when I attempt to start the game, I double-click on the desktop icon as usual, I get the hour glass for about 2 seconds, then it goes away... and that's it. Nothing.

I've closed all programs, and done both a soft reboot and a hard reboot. Repeat procedure. Nothing. I've deleted the shortcut, and copied a new one to desktop. Nothing. I've tried starting the game from within Explorer. No joy there, either. Game is dead... completely

Anybody else experience this silliness? Is there a log file somewhere that might tell me what is wrong? I would like to try debugging this before uninstalling everything and starting over. Rebuilding the game is a 2-hour PITA. Thanks for any assistance.

MB-BOB
03-12-2005, 05:43 PM
I played FB+AEP+PF just yesterday, but a day later when I attempt to start the game, I double-click on the desktop icon as usual, I get the hour glass for about 2 seconds, then it goes away... and that's it. Nothing.

I've closed all programs, and done both a soft reboot and a hard reboot. Repeat procedure. Nothing. I've deleted the shortcut, and copied a new one to desktop. Nothing. I've tried starting the game from within Explorer. No joy there, either. Game is dead... completely

Anybody else experience this silliness? Is there a log file somewhere that might tell me what is wrong? I would like to try debugging this before uninstalling everything and starting over. Rebuilding the game is a 2-hour PITA. Thanks for any assistance.

LEXX_Luthor
03-12-2005, 06:20 PM
This is just a stab in the dark...

Look at your "conf" file. Something could be corrupted. If you don't see anything, just go ahead and replace your "conf" file with the backup "conf" file you made.

For example, if I change my resolution in "conf" file to 1600x1200 the exact same thing happens to me...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I double-click on the desktop icon as usual, I get the hour glass for about 2 seconds, then it goes away... and that's it. Nothing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yesterday, did you reboot while inside the game, or did a cold shut~down or power failure while in the game? That corrupted my "bldconf" file and my FMB would not work (a most terrible thing) until I replaced my "bldconf" file with a backup.

FoolTrottel
03-12-2005, 06:51 PM
If that doesn't help, post this at the Community Help Forum / Technical Help Forum (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=frm&s=400102&f=49310655)....
And include your DxDiag with it! (Click here (http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/system.htm) on how to do that)

Good Luck!

NorrisMcWhirter
03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Hi,

If I were you, I'd download something called Beyond Compare from Scootersoft then use it to move your game directory to a safe place.

I'd then reinstall the game + patches and then check with BC, with binary compares on, to see what's different.

At the very least, your conf.ini should be different prior to you running Il-2 setup then, after you know the game starts, you can at least merge things back together how you want them.

If there is one plus point of Il-2, it's that it is stable. Without wanting to actually sound like I support it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, 3 CTD's in as many years isn't bad going.

Norris

AWL_Spinner
03-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Concur with one of the posters above. I've had it do exactly as you described when I mistakenly put the wrong figures into the screen resolution section of the conf.ini.

Simplest way to test that would probably be to run IL2setup.exe or whatever it's called and "reset" the screen parameters to a default you know will run (1024x768 16 bit or something).