PDA

View Full Version : does artificial intelligence know about lead pursuit?

Tozzifan
04-07-2006, 03:50 AM
while flying my first PF missions (all realistic settings on, patch 4.04) and trying mostly to stay alive among multiple furballs, I've noticed that enemies on my tail are not able to shoot at me (even if in close range) if I sustain a turning ("energy") fight at high speeds (say 260-300km/h), thence my survival depends on my patience: I keep turning http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif until my wingmen lessen the number of opponents and my awareness improves a lot

is it to be considered a cheat or is there a partially historical truth in my tactic?

thefruitbat
04-07-2006, 10:04 AM
The ai does sucketh when it comes to lead pursuit shooting on its lower settings unfortunatley, but 260-300km/h is not high speed at all, this is more in keeping with a slow turning fight IMO. Of course it depends on what planes you are flying, if you are flying an early war zero agaisnt wildcats, then this is an acceptable tactic. If you are flying late war corsairs, this would be suicide, Without knowing what you were flying and against what, its hard to comment much further

Tozzifan
04-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot that I'm flying early stages of war (F4s)

darkhorizon11
04-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Low skill setting yes, higher ones AI actually gets a little tooo good at this stuff.

Tully__
04-08-2006, 12:29 AM
The AI don't do lead pursuit at all.

They do do lead shooting, but aren't any good at it at small lead angles. If you force them to use large lead shooting angles they'll kick your butt big time.

Professor_06
04-08-2006, 01:00 AM
It's actually caled "deflection shooting"

I agree, at novice they can't hit a thing but at expert, it is a different story.

Tozzifan
04-08-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Professor_06:
It's actually caled "deflection shooting"

I agree, at novice they can't hit a thing but at expert, it is a different story.

while in dogfight at this time I'm glad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif with veteran skills, just like I've mentioned in campaigns I'm flying with maximun realism on, so AI should fight on expert mode, isn't it?

what enrages me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif , most of all, is the AI fighters capability in deadly shooting me down head on, even if I make offset & out of plane maneuvres, meanwhile yet I've not scored a single hit (head on); that seems to me quite an advantage for computer flown aircrafts

Tully__
04-09-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm flying with maximun realism on, so AI should fight on expert mode, isn't it?

It depends what campaign you're flying. For example, most campaigns set in the Eastern Front (Russia) in the early part of the war will have the red side AI (allies) set mostly to Rookie or Average while the German AI (axis) will most be Veteran with a smattering of Ace. This reflects the real world status in that theatre at that time. Later in the war in the same theatre this tended to go the opposite way and again most campaigns are set up accordingly.

AKA_TAGERT
04-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Tozzifan:
while flying my first PF missions (all realistic settings on, patch 4.04) and trying mostly to stay alive among multiple furballs, I've noticed that enemies on my tail are not able to shoot at me (even if in close range) if I sustain a turning ("energy") fight at high speeds (say 260-300km/h), thence my survival depends on my patience: I keep turning http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif until my wingmen lessen the number of opponents and my awareness improves a lot

is it to be considered a cheat or is there a partially historical truth in my tactic? Only in head on passes

Papa_K
04-10-2006, 12:18 AM
The AI don't shoot in lead on a turning aircraft very well, so keeping even a minimal turn in can virtually negate an AI on your 6. This can lead to bad defensive habits.

Take that same defense online (where this game shines) and you'll see very different results. (Not that you don't see any pipper-on-only shooters online, but many have mastered the fine art of taking the right amount of lead.)

You're right - Offensively, the AI don't seem to use lead pursuit, whether for a gun shot or for closure - it seems like they either ignore you or just try to point at you.

//Let me qualify that: From a steady position, in range, AI at your 6 o'clock, if you turn, they don't seem to be able to get the right lead when they shoot. I can't say they never shoot in lead, but at least in that case, with even a nice steady in-plane turn, quacking like a duck, your "Shoot Me!" sign vividly displayed, they'll spray out all their ammo behind you rather than adjust to putting their nose in lead - "Average" level AI are pretty inept at shooting in some situations.//

Papa_K