PDA

View Full Version : Flags of our Fathers update

Bearcat99
12-02-2005, 06:41 AM
Flags of our Fathers (http://www.flagsofourfathers.net/) the new Clint Eastwood/Steven Spielberg collaboration is moving apace. This looks to be a very promising film. For those of you who dont know it is a film about the Battle of Iwo Jima and the men who raised the flag there. Eastwood also plans to do something unprecedented in movie history. He is going to make a companion film from the Japanese POV of the same battle to be released at the same time called "Lamps in the Wind". Sounds very promising. I just hope that he tells the truth.... Iwo was a brutally horrific, no holds barred, no quarter asked or given, take no prisoners on either side fight that had no real winners.... only survivors.

Clint has certainly come a long way since Rawhide. I like most of his films. I think the bar has been raised for Hollywood war films with Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers and I hope these two raise the bar even higher.

jds1978
12-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Eastwood's a class "A" director. I think the dude must have near carte blanche power over his films in the vein of Kubrick or Lucas by now.

You know this is going to be classy

BSS_Goat
12-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Eastwood also plans to do something unprecedented in movie history. He is going to make a companion film from the Japanese POV of the same battle to be released at the same time called "Lamps in the Wind".

Cool idea, I'll watch it.(both of 'em)

Chuck_Older
12-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Wow, good news

Anybody who hasn't read Flags of our Fathers should do so. It's a book that I think every US citizen should read- they should teach it in schools both as an honest history and as an example of how to write effectively

VT-51_Razor
12-02-2005, 03:51 PM
well said Chuck. I'd say the same about his second book, "Fly Boys". Especially as it pertains to our history.

Speaking of fly boys, has anyone heard any more about that movie Tom Cruise was doing about the Battle of Britain? Not looking for any editorial comment on it, just whether or not anyone has heard anything about a release date.

Zeus-cat
12-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Two films, one for each side. Interesting concept. I wonder if the native language will be used for each side and then subtitled as needed, or will they do both in English?

Zeus-cat

jds1978
12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Zeus-cat
Posted Fri December 02 2005 15:12
Two films, one for each side. Interesting concept. I wonder if the native language will be used for each side and then subtitled as needed, or will they do both in English?

i've never minded reading subtitles and prefer subtitles to dubbing

jarink
12-02-2005, 08:44 PM
This movie project keeps sounding better and better!

The book was very good, I thought. I didn't think "Flyboys" was quite as well written (the 'plot' kind of meandered and did he really need to say "flyboys" all the time?), but it was still a very interesting history about a subject virtually unknown to the general public.

jds1978
12-03-2005, 05:35 AM
Speaking of fly boys, has anyone heard any more about that movie Tom Cruise was doing about the Battle of Britain? Not looking for any editorial comment on it, just whether or not anyone has heard anything about a release date.

clickhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388940/

VT-51_Razor
12-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Thx jds1978

ElAurens
12-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the heads up Bearcat.

As a side note, one of the USMC amtracs used in the filming is owned by a military collector in my home town. It was rented to the production company and shipped to Iceland for the filming. I have seen it parked outside his facility many times. He was on pins and needles the whole time it was away, worried they would sink it in the Atlantic!

BigKahuna_GS
12-03-2005, 11:07 AM
S!

Thanks for the heads up Bearcat, look forward to seeing the movie.
Hope it is as good as the book ! Very good reading.

___

Gold_Monkey
12-03-2005, 11:45 AM
http://www.iwojima.com/raising/raisingc.htm

MiamiEagle
12-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Bear this is great news. Saving private Ryan is my favorite World war two Movie of all time on the platoon level.

None even comes close when it came to the Pacific Theater. The thin Red Line was a disapointment as was Wind talkers.
I hope this one equals or surpases Savin private Ryan.

Saving private Ryan will always bee one of my favorite. I just hope one the day the Pacific Theater gets equal justice.

I wish the Russian will do one on the Eastern Front in the Future with Historical accrucy and without all the nationistic propaganda.

Their bravery and courage in that war need not to be promoted with proganda.

Lets forget that distasful system call communisim and concentrate on the Russian soldier instead.

Now going back on the Pacific Theater. Lets not forget this was a World war and not a European war only.

Thats the main reason I like my World war Sims to include the whole world.

Its just more interesting that way.

Thank you Bear99 for that great news.

P.S. I when to Bestbuy yesterday and bought a new video call Japans War in Color for 7.00$ Dollars. Its docummentary with new found color films release to the Public not known in the past about the the Pacific war from the Japanese poin of view in color. I highly recommend as a Chrismas present for of us who are interested in World period.

I also recommend the Battle of Britain on DVD format. It is one of the better historican films of all time. It better on DVD,.

Thank you Bear99 for the good new again

Miamieagle

RAF92_Moser
12-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Flags of our Fathers was a well written book. Thank you for the news Bearcat, I think this may turn out to be a great movie.

BRASSTURTLE
12-05-2005, 10:12 AM
As a side note, one of the USMC amtracs used in the filming is owned by a military collector in my home town. It was rented to the production company and shipped to Iceland for the filming. I have seen it parked outside his facility many times. He was on pins and needles the whole time it was away, worried they would sink it in the Atlantic![/QUOTE]

Two of the Higgins boats used were from the LST325 which is now docked about two miles from me. They wanted the LST as well, but the commission was worried about the Hurricane season (with good reason.) In the end, they just rented out the two higgins boats & sold a non-functional one to be blown up. The two rentals just returned here last month.
The movie looks to be very good, based on the people involved.