PDA

View Full Version : Freakin' Indestructible Tramp Steamers!

demigod151
02-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Ok this takes the biscuit, saw one, and in order to sink it, I had to use, THREE! Yep, 3, that Three! Torpedoes! LOL

Are these things indestructible or what? I can never seem to sink a tramp steamer in one hit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

And the best part is, I hit them in their fuel bunkers and all! Guys, really, I am this close to utter desperation, do you have any tips for a very stressed Grey Wolf? How if possible can you sink a tramp steamer with one hit?

hueywolf123
02-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Ok bud, are you using the GW mod or GWX?, I know in GW it would sometimes take all fish to sink one target. At other times, you could knock over a large tanker with one fish. Very frustrating. In GWX, the only trouble I've had so far is a light-ship that took four. I took out a liner with just one. It seems to me that manual targetting takes away the random and allows you to get more realism. Maybe this is not what you want, but if you go into the 'change realism settings' page, you can uncheck the realistic ship sinking time box. This may help

TheFastFreddie
02-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Usually just try to avoid wasting fish on them esp if they are in a convoy. I've had them take more damage than most large merchants before going under. I don't have the fuel bunker thing popping up in GWX so I can't tell you anything about that. You might also want to try giving them some time to sink.

Goose_Green
02-05-2007, 04:34 AM
Due to their enormous industructability I have learned to ignore them - even when the seas are calm and I have deck gun ammo. But with a bit of patience I have sunk the odd one or two using my AA guns, but generally the poor tonnage return is not worth the fish or deck gun expended.

I go after juicier targets http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

OZFugazi
02-05-2007, 08:34 AM
heys.

I have had some issues with tramps.. I ignore them not becuase they are hard to sink.. just its a waste of torp.

I have no problem putting one down with my deck gun though. Less than 10 hits max. But then again, I am using vanilla SH3 with all the GWx boats so the damage model is a lil different using deck gun.

The compartments for all the "new" boats have been messed around so much to simulate "real" sinkage and damage that boats like the tramp are simply rediculous. Its the ONE big issue I have with GWX and why I dont run it anymore. Well that and some boats are just skinned bad where a torp will melt through the boat.

GWX is an awsome mod.. but needs some help in the damage area. Especially with the large cargo boats (not C3 types) that can take up to 5 torps to sink.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

All of my "one shot" tramps are when I set my torp to 7ft/met and aim just before stack. Ore carriers I have great success at 8ft/met at the first bow comp.

Since I run van with GWX boats I get the good with the bad .. but as my general rule.. if its GWX .. I run my torp deep and seem to do better.

just my opinion.

done
D

demigod151
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I am using GWX, I never bothered with the original GW, because I knew this one was coming, and I was a tad sceptical about supermods.

Thing is, I'm glad its not just me, becuase I really thought that in my game tramp steamers were just impervious to destruction.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/SH3/TS.jpg

There is the little darling now. I have tried everything to annihilate it in one hit, but no dice. Each and every time I aim for the fuel bunker and I play with torpedo depth and I may as well be shooting duds at it. Because it is never enough I always have to bring the Deck Gun to bear, or fire another torpedo at it.

Tramp Steamers are ridiculously modeled in this Supermod. For Gods sake, you cna take out a Destroyer with one hit, why not that thing? Is it armour plated below the waterline or something? Made of reinforced titanium? What?! LOL

Crackers it is!

dauntlessdave
02-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure the problem is limited to tramp steamers, although they are the worst. I have decided to fire 2 torps at every target now, becuase a 1 shot kill without a bunker explosion never seems to happen. Most 1 shot hits dont even slow a target ship down enough to create a straggler. Most book's Ive read by u-boat crew contain the line "It usually took only one torpedo to sink a merchant ship." And that is simply not happening in GWX. I recall the attack described in Iron Coffins where a night/fog attack was made steaming between the ranks of a convoy and the U-boat fired 4 torpedoes at 4 targets, each torpedo required to make a 90 degree turn at close range, and they scored 3 hits and got 3 quick sinkings. That feat is impossible in GWX.

demigod151
02-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't find GWX hard. Evading destroyers etc...

What I find hard is the actual sinking of the ships. The damage model in stock SH3 is probably far more closer to real life events than GWX is.

DrMilton
02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I think what the GW guys meant to do was forcing the ship to sink by flooding instead of blowing up all the time. As for the one torp hits, it is a documented fact that on manual targeting a torp fired on a vulnerable spot will not always cause a critical hit, contrary to auto targeting when it will ALWAYS cause a critical hit. So, yes, I fire two fish at my targets too (except small merchs).