PDA

View Full Version : So you think the game is too repetitive? Not so.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I've been thinking a bit about the criticism that the game is too repetitive and I've realised it's a completely bogus criticism. The only repetition in the game is what the player CHOOSES to repeat.

For example, you're not forced to repeat saving a citizen - heck, you don't even have to do it at all. Similarly, there is no necessity at all to scale viewpoints - you can get through the entire game without climbing a single tower. Then there are the flags - completely optional. All of these game mechanics are completely optional so they cannot be legitimately said to be repetitive.

Also, if you don't save citizens or climb towers it makes the game and combat harder because the synch bar doesn't increase unless you do these things - isn't a common complaint that the game is too easy? If so, don't do the repetitive stuff - that way you'll keep your synch bar low and keep your difficulty level high. This is a great way to tweak the difficulty without the necessity of a patch - just do the game without rescuing citizens, or do it without climbing towers, so cutting down your ability to get higher synch levels - there's some replayability right there too in that it adds extra challenge to the game.

Then there are the investigations. There are over 50 investigations, including 16 informer challenges and a number of eavesdropping, pickpocket and interrogation missions:

Eavesdropping - all of these missions are different, with different information learned.

Pickpocket - all of these missions are different, with different information gathered.

Interrogation - all of these missions are different, with different information learned.

Informer - all of these take place in different parts of each town, so the repetition criticism doesn't wash in that aspect. Only five of the assassination request types (in terms of time limit and number of things to do) are repeated one or more times. The majority - nine informer missions out of 16 - can be completed without repeating the number of targets or the time limit necessary to complete them.

So, since the player is only called upon to do about 27 investigations prior to assassinating all the targets in the game there is no repetition necessary: the player can do the nine non-repeating informer missions, then the remaining 18 can be pickpocket, eavesdropping or interrogation missions.

In short, there's absolutely no need for this game to be repetitive. The player is in complete control of the level of repetition in the game: if he wants to play the game without any repetition at all that choice is open to him.

Kaxen6
11-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Agreed. I got tired of saving citizens after a while so there's like none saved in Acre on my game xD

The informant missions do mix things up (I love the stuff the informants say "I have demons after me!" "...I twisted my ankle. I'm pathetic! Don't tell Malik." "...I spent too long at the brothel last night...")

stuburns
11-25-2007, 09:55 AM
No matter how you look at it collecting flags in three minutes is the same, it doesn't matter that it's a different location.

The other type of informer missions are all exactly the same.

All the eavesdropping missions are just you sitting at a bentch pressing a button.

All the pickpocketing is exactly the same.

All the interrogatiosn are the same as well.

Just because you get different information doesn't make any difference, thats like saying if you had to sit at a bentch a million times but every time you hear something different that it wouldn't be repeative.

AirRon_2K7
11-25-2007, 10:02 AM
How on earth ELSE are you going to do eavesdropping missions, eh stuburns?

Tap Y to move nod your head... press a friggin button sequence? We aren't playing some movie rip off video game are we?

Sgt.Burger
11-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Just because you get different information doesn't make any difference, thats like saying if you had to sit at a bentch a million times but every time you hear something different that it wouldn't be repeative.

I believe those missions weren't intended to vary gameplay-wise, although a few with a more sneaky approach would've done good, like hiding beneath a window or something.

All the flags, citizens and stuff like that I keep hearing about (as I'm forced to wait till the PC release) seem like they were intended for your usual hardcore gamer who wants to get the best out of the game, finishing everything, getting every achievement etc. You're not forced to collect the flags or save the citizens, they're mini-games, and in the citizen's case, during my playtrough they'll be just an "immersion-factor", meaning I will not intend on finding all of them until I'm done with the main story, just the few I accidentally come across.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by stuburns:
No matter how you look at it collecting flags in three minutes is the same, it doesn't matter that it's a different location.

But if you find it repetitive you don't have to do it.

The other type of informer missions are all exactly the same.

How can they be exactly the same? I've just shown you how nine are completely different. Heck, even the info you get is completely different for every single one.

All the eavesdropping missions are just you sitting at a bentch pressing a button.

So you are arguing that the info you get is the same? Nonsense!

All the pickpocketing is exactly the same.

No it isn't. Each one gives different info and takes place in different areas of the city. Even the dialogue between the two or three NPCs is unique.

All the interrogatiosn are the same as well.

I just explained that they're not - the dialogue is completely different in each case, and even if you find them repetitive you don't have to do any of them.

Next you'll be arguing that moving forward involves too much repetition because it involves continuously pressing up on the left stick. I mean your argument is going to ridiculous lengths to support your contention.

The bottom line is this: if you're seriously finding the game repetitious, stop doing the repetitive stuff. Most of the investigations don't even need to be completed and none of the optional objectives need to be done. Anyone who claims this game is repetitive has only himself to blame for the repetition he forces on himself.

Malocchio21
11-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by AirRon_2K7:
How on earth ELSE are you going to do eavesdropping missions, eh stuburns?

Tap Y to move nod your head... press a friggin button sequence? We aren't playing some movie rip off video game are we?

Yea really, I mean judging by the people's logic who say this game is repetitive, every game would be repetitive...actually I think just about any game can be summed up like this...

1. Run around and find some items (physical or not) while killing the bad guys/obstacles or getting around them.

2. Find boss ---> Kill boss.

3. Rinse, Repeat and throw some curveballs to keep it exciting.

It's THE STORY which makes a game and I think the story in AC is by far one of the best I've seen.

I'd hate to see what some of these people would say about some of the most classic games...Super Mario Bros., PacMan...etc. Talk about repetitive ...which is why the story is what matters and if you're not into the story, find another game.

stuburns
11-25-2007, 10:19 AM
I didn't say I dislike the repetition, I enjoy it, but you do have to do them. You have to do three missions for every assassination, that's 27 required missions, with only five different types of missions. So you have to do some of them more then once.

I never said you get the same info, I'm saying the tasks are exactly the same, but you have to do the exact same thing. I'm just addressing what the reviewers have mentioned.

Sgt.Burger
11-25-2007, 10:25 AM
On the other hand, I do agree with those that say it's repetitive that if several objectives are to be achieved the exact same way (not counting the environment and the actual objective, just the way you achieve it), it shows lack of creativity, and does get boring. Such things very often occure in MMORPGs, in single-player games there are easy ways to solve them; there shouldn't be too many of these, or if there are, make them vary. Eavesdropping could be done from a bench, or hanging from a rooftop, lurking below windows and such. You should not be restricted to sitting on a bench.

Pickpocketing and beating up for information can't be made various, it's always done the same way. If you over-do it, it does get boring, but try to focus on the objective and why you are doing what you are doing, try to find enjoyment in the moment when you get that piece of information you've been trying to pickpocket, and not the pickpocketing itself.

It really is the players' choice how to do it, but variety is always a great bonus from the developers' side, and is needed to keep people playing the game for a longer while.
On the other hand, if the developers lack creativity, you may still have it. You play the game and controll it, and AC gives a lot of freedom compared to most linear single-player games, use it.

T_Spoon_UK
11-25-2007, 10:27 AM
It's not about the missions changing all the time

Its more about the variety of diffrent missions... all there is, is the ones you listed. Which can get a bit tedious after a while.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by T_Spoon_UK:
It's not about the missions changing all the time

Its more about the variety of diffrent missions... all there is, is the ones you listed. Which can get a bit tedious after a while.

Well, there are about 27 missions that have to be completed out of a total of something like 54. You only need to do half of them, so I don't think that it's too repetitive when you can virtually ignore two whole types of missions or do only one of each type per level.

I guess I just don't get how this game is any more repetitive than, say GTA: Vice City. In that game you also had a limited number of mission types and each type was limited to the same method of completing it. You'd go to the gym and work out in exactly the same way, you could get paramedic missions and they were all the same. Heck, beating up pedestrians in that game was the ultimate in repetition.

At a certain point developer resources place a limit on what can be done. Sure it would be nice if there were more different kinds of missions, but there aren't, and I just don't buy the notion that the game is too repetitive, especially when every game in its genre suffers from the same criticism. Take The Godfather for example - each business you go into in that game is based on just three or four models.

The point is, this is a genre - sandbox style action games - in which repetition is virtually forced on the developer. I think players are unfairly comparing the game to linear games in which the game seems to offer no repetition, but at the cost of a complete lack of player options in terms of side quests.

iPlunder
11-25-2007, 10:51 AM
The easedropping is a stretch... Kinda lame. They need more stealth assassination missions, and maybe something like get to a goal area before time runs out. They really need something like that. And duels.

T_Spoon_UK
11-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Beeryus:

I guess I just don't get how this game is any more repetitive than, say GTA: Vice City.

It's because in GTA games, you could -

Play the main storyline,
Race,
Drive around recklessly,
Vigilante Missions,
Firetruck missions,
Ambulance,
Taxi,
Collect packages,
Go on a rampage,
Cheats etc etc.

I could go on.

Its just that Assassins Creed is limited to these few types of missions and it gets tedious. for me anyway.

Sure the game is quite repetitive after a while of playing, but im still playing it and having fun. They just could of added more variety.

Btw.. I'm not tryin to defend GTA here...as i dont particulary like it anyway.

stuburns
11-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Repetition does not mean bad, that should be mentioned.

I never got bored playing AC, I love it and it's up there as one of my favourite games ever. It's repetitive, but that isn't bad thing. It's not to the point when it because grinding.

When it got to the last couple of assassinations I wasn't doing the full six missions, I was still doing maybe four but I skipped a couple, and I was really happy to be able to decide how many to do.

Most games are repeitive, things like fighting and racing games more then any other genres. I really don't like FPS's as well (with the exception of BioShock), because it is the same for 8 hours with nothing being optional.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by T_Spoon_UK:
Sure the game is quite repetitive after a while of playing, but im still playing it and having fun. They just could of added more variety..

I'm not so sure that's true. A game disc only has so much space and a lot of that goes into creating the game world, which is awesome in AC. What if they had gone for more missions but had to cut back on the beauty of the world? What if, instead of criticising a lack of mission variety, we were criticising the architecture being too similar throughout the game.

Variety of missions is important, but if the game world itself seems unreal we lose a lot of that feeling of suspension of disbelief. To me the world I'm in when I'm Altair is supremely important - if, as in 'The Godfather', I enter a building (or in AC, if I climb on it) and it's the same as another building, that makes me lose that sense of realism.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by stuburns:
I never got bored playing AC, I love it and it's up there as one of my favourite games ever. It's repetitive, but that isn't bad thing. It's not to the point when it because grinding..

A good point, and it makes me wonder if any of this game's detractors have ever played a MMORPG. Those games are even more open-ended than this type of game and the repetitiveness is almost soul destroying.

I think the problem is that the more open a game is, the more repetitive it tends to become. Plus, with players demanding ever more graphical beauty developers are forced to make compromises in other areas of the game.

Anyway, I still really don't buy the argument that the game is any more repetitive than other games in the same genre. Sure, as T_Spoon_UK says, GTA: Vice City had more side quests, but it was released at a time when graphics were nowhere near as advanced as todays games need to be. All those graphics take up memory, and lots of it. I don't think a game with the graphical beauty of AC could be made nowadays if it was forced to have the variety of missions that GTA had. Compromises would have to be made somewhere, whether it be in the AI or in the graphics, or in the cutscenes, the game length or the storyline itself.

Just imagine if AC was just as beautiful as it is now, and had twice as many side missions but had to lose the whole city of Damascus in order to do it? People would be complaining that the game was too short.

In other words, I'm not sure the developers could avoid criticism of some aspect of the game. Something was bound to be criticised and I'd much rather it be the repetitiveness rather than some other things that could have easily been cut.

pillaysteven
11-25-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't think a game with the graphical beauty of AC could be made nowadays if it was forced to have the variety of missions that GTA had.

We will see the truth of that when GTA IV comes out.

And I don't think graphics are a sufficient trade off for gameplay. Gameplay should come first in my opinion, followed by story, followed by graphics.

MiniAssasin
11-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Beeryus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stuburns:
I never got bored playing AC, I love it and it's up there as one of my favourite games ever. It's repetitive, but that isn't bad thing. It's not to the point when it because grinding..

A good point, and it makes me wonder if any of this game's detractors have ever played a MMORPG. Those games are even more open-ended than this type of game and the repetitiveness is almost soul destroying.

I think the problem is that the more open a game is, the more repetitive it tends to become. Plus, with players demanding ever more graphical beauty developers are forced to make compromises in other areas of the game.

Anyway, I still really don't buy the argument that the game is any more repetitive than other games in the same genre. Sure, as T_Spoon_UK says, GTA: Vice City had more side quests, but it was released at a time when graphics were nowhere near as advanced as todays games need to be. All those graphics take up memory, and lots of it. I don't think a game with the graphical beauty of AC could be made nowadays if it was forced to have the variety of missions that GTA had. Compromises would have to be made somewhere, whether it be in the AI or in the graphics, or in the cutscenes, the game length or the storyline itself.

Just imagine if AC was just as beautiful as it is now, and had twice as many side missions but had to lose the whole city of Damascus in order to do it? People would be complaining that the game was too short.

In other words, I'm not sure the developers could avoid criticism of some aspect of the game. Something was bound to be criticised and I'd much rather it be the repetitiveness rather than some other things that could have easily been cut. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats true alot of the features the previous gta had are being removed from the new one.

cut quite a few things back

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by pillaysteven:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think a game with the graphical beauty of AC could be made nowadays if it was forced to have the variety of missions that GTA had.

We will see the truth of that when GTA IV comes out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we can already see from GTA IV's screenshots that GTA IV is nowhere near as beautiful as AC. In fact I haven't seen a recent release with graphics that match AC's standards, apart from perhaps CoD4, and that's a very short linear game with only six hours of single player play. As a single player experience AC, with a minimum of 20 hours of play, blows CoD4 away in terms of game length alone.

CoastalGirl
11-25-2007, 12:21 PM
I did find several things repetitive; the "Save Citizens" were especially bad because they have about four lines between them... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The freerunning and beautiful setting have yet to get old, though.

midna1
11-25-2007, 12:26 PM
er if you get bored on AC just switch the disc, shotgun some monsters, then back on AC.

There are a lot of people out there who cant concentrate for long. They're called '******s' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif. The same people complained about repetition in Halo3, Bioshock, Half life 2, Oblivion. For shame...

This is why you have Made in Wario. Its for freaks who can't concentrate.

AC is proper quality with new core gameplay, unpredictability, choice in assassination method and cracking visuals. The real fans know best