PDA

View Full Version : Kinda OT--Need new router advice!

SithSpeeder
09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Hey all--

Has anyone done recent research on this subject?

I'm looking to replace a wired/wireless router combination with a print server on it. My current D-Link DI-713P is failing on the wired connections (the wireless laptop is the only way I can get to the network right now going through it). I've reflashed the software already...no joy.

Anyways, requirements are:
3 wired computers
2+ wireless computers with 128 bit encryption
printer server (compatible with a standard 25 pin connector)...future update might be standard with a usb connector.

Obviously, I'll need all the good port forwarding and application triggers, etc.

It connects to a cable modem (1.3 - 2.5 Mbs/sec).

I need opinions fast!

Thanks.

* _54th_Speeder *

SithSpeeder
09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Hey all--

Has anyone done recent research on this subject?

I'm looking to replace a wired/wireless router combination with a print server on it. My current D-Link DI-713P is failing on the wired connections (the wireless laptop is the only way I can get to the network right now going through it). I've reflashed the software already...no joy.

Anyways, requirements are:
3 wired computers
2+ wireless computers with 128 bit encryption
printer server (compatible with a standard 25 pin connector)...future update might be standard with a usb connector.

Obviously, I'll need all the good port forwarding and application triggers, etc.

It connects to a cable modem (1.3 - 2.5 Mbs/sec).

I need opinions fast!

Thanks.

* _54th_Speeder *

Edbert
09-13-2005, 09:34 AM
I've used Linksys, NetGear, and D-Link with good results, the learning curve will be easiest for you if you stick with D-Link. Of course Linksys is the most popular and seems to win most of the awards. A good rule of thumb for the wireless side is to use whatever brand NICs you have, there seems to be better performance and higher stability that way.

Personally speaking, I use a Cisco PIX to connect to my ISP. There's a wireless access point behind it for my laptops, but the access point is not doing all the whiz-bang stuff like firewall, NAT, and port forwarding. If you do that you can alsways add a simple ethernet switch for the wired PCs to use, they are cheap and you can use 1000-base-TX for them.

I just trust Cisco to provide my security layer more than the other vendors.

MOH_SKID
09-13-2005, 10:55 AM
S~ _54th_Speeder!

Before you throw out any hardware, be sure to check the cheap and easy stuff first. Get a new network cable and test it. You may just have some bad connectors/bad cable.

S~
Skid

SithSpeeder
09-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks Ed for your opinion--much appreciated.

SKID, I already swapped out cables (had a new one, too), checked connections, did straight connections to the cable modem (it worked fine), etc.

Further bizarre behavior is occuring. It's gotta be the router.

And welcome to the boards, SKID!

* _54th_Speeder *

"A man who loves what he does, never works a day in his life."
--Chinese Proverb

MOH_SKID
09-13-2005, 01:51 PM
S~ _54th_Speeder,

I use a dedicated PC running Smoothwall as my router. I found that my little Linksys router was gagging with the load. Plus, the Smoothwall is *far* more configurable wrt port forwarding and so on. I am using a separate Linksys 16-port switch, a separate Linksys print server/switch combo and a D-Link wireless router configured to run as a wireless access point.

Hmmm... I see that the forum thinks I'm brand new. Oh well.

S`
Skid