PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth it?

showboat1971
05-26-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm debating buying the IL-2 1946 package with all of the games included. I used to play PF quite a bit but got away from it for about a year now. Is this new 1946 version worth the cost or is it just a rehash patchup job designed to make a little money? If I buy this I will also probably be buying alot a accessories like new joysticks and the like and I just don't want to be disappointed. I'm a teacher and I have the next two months off to go wild on a game and I want to make sure I get the right one.

triad773
05-26-2007, 01:47 PM
In my opinion (for what ever it's worth,)

YES

Reason: not having to have ALL the previous CDs, patches, installing in right order, etc.

I crave simplicity when it comes to certain things: one of them being reinstalling the game on what ever new rig I will upgrade to. As it stands now, that's one DVD (1946) and one patch to 4.08 and I am rocking! Just need to remember my backup CD of downloaded skins/missions!

Good luck and cheers

Triad

joeap
05-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I second triad's post. Makes a lot of sense to have it "all" in one package!!

crucislancer
05-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by showboat1971:
I'm debating buying the IL-2 1946 package with all of the games included. I used to play PF quite a bit but got away from it for about a year now. Is this new 1946 version worth the cost or is it just a rehash patchup job designed to make a little money? If I buy this I will also probably be buying alot a accessories like new joysticks and the like and I just don't want to be disappointed. I'm a teacher and I have the next two months off to go wild on a game and I want to make sure I get the right one.

Totally worth it.

Everything on one DVD
Over 200 planes to fly
Boatload of maps
Some bizzaro planes in the mix, like Luftwaffe types that where only on the drawing board.
Some new campaigns.

Great value for $30.

Skycat_2
05-26-2007, 04:10 PM
If you only have Pacific Fighters, then very definately worth it ... $30 to also get Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, Pe-2 Peshka, Sturmoviks Over Manchuria and '46, plus IL-2 Sturmovik's static campaigns ... It would be difficult to find old FB and AEP discs for that money!

When Pe-2 was released as e-commerce only, it was running in the neighborhood of $20 and really just gave the player six flyable versions of the Pe-2 and Pe-3, and a few new ground vehicles. Sturmoviks Over Manchuria and '46 were each conceived as full, separate expansions so there are new maps and plenty of new flyables in each. Had they been sold as individual CD-ROMs (like Pacific Fighters) or as e-commerce downloads, I'm sure each could have been priced at $20-$30.

Whatever your particular favorite niche is in the series, the 1946 pack adds to it. You get new Japanese planes, wierd Luftwaffe and Soviet planes, the Pe-2/3 and IL-10 as flyables, another flyable version of the A-20, a Burma map, a Norway + Scotland map, a small 'Africa' map, a medium sized Italy map, numerous new ground objects, and some pretty good static campaigns. Coming soon ... a really exciting Slovakia map.

I already had the series through 4.04m and I think the DVD was absolutely worthwhile. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

showboat1971
05-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Sounds good so I went out and got it. The Burma map sold me. Ever since reading God Is My Co-pilot I have had an interest in that region and the fighting that went on there.