PDA

View Full Version : Torpedoes missing aft alot?

Zasa
04-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Just started playing last few days, got installed and checked mods, tips, all that stuff, to get a grip on the game.
Right now to start, I am playing aroun 40% realism to get my "sea-legs" and I use "auto-TDC" for firing. Lately, I am missing a LOT aft of the ship. And I mean by a hair. I imagine if I was set for magnetic, they would probably go off, barring duds...
My question is:
Is there a way to change the running of the torpedo, without getting into full-on manual TDC/Plotting, so that it will tend to hit the center/front of the ship?
I think I have tried, when available, to switch to Impact and as fast a run time as possible, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference in the % of hits. I also try de-targeting the ship and then re-aquire just prior to shooting.
In the older Silent Hunters, I think I could move the arrow on a little dial, dont remember what it was called, and that would allow the torp to run a degree or two to the port or starboard.
Any help is greatly appreciated...

Zasa
04-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Just started playing last few days, got installed and checked mods, tips, all that stuff, to get a grip on the game.
Right now to start, I am playing aroun 40% realism to get my "sea-legs" and I use "auto-TDC" for firing. Lately, I am missing a LOT aft of the ship. And I mean by a hair. I imagine if I was set for magnetic, they would probably go off, barring duds...
My question is:
Is there a way to change the running of the torpedo, without getting into full-on manual TDC/Plotting, so that it will tend to hit the center/front of the ship?
I think I have tried, when available, to switch to Impact and as fast a run time as possible, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference in the % of hits. I also try de-targeting the ship and then re-aquire just prior to shooting.
In the older Silent Hunters, I think I could move the arrow on a little dial, dont remember what it was called, and that would allow the torp to run a degree or two to the port or starboard.
Any help is greatly appreciated...

VonGeezer
04-16-2005, 09:44 AM
A few tips here

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=7941021903

Dominicrigg
04-16-2005, 09:49 AM
With auto tdc if you are missing unlock the view, move the scope to the front of the ship then fire immediatly.

Auto tdc doesnt take into account slowing down or turning ect.

Also make sure you have the doors open before if its a tough shot, this will make a little difference.

Finally if the ship is turning towards or away from you then aim at the back of the ship, using the above unlock method or you will go infront.

Hope that helps!

Zasa
04-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Will try some of that out, thanks!

WolfK33
04-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Do you open your tube-doors prior to shooting?
I used to have the same problem at first, opening the doors before shooting solved it for me.
It seems the solution beeing computed is for opened tubes, and as opening them takes a few seconds youâ´ll miss aft when shooting without opening them first.

Press "Q" to open the door of your selected tube ("W" to close) , but notice that when you then switch to another tube and open it this way the other one will be closed again.

Another way is to take over the weapons officers station (right click him in the 3d control room view or his symbol in the lower left of the screen) and open the tubes from there. Directly below the green lights showing the status of your tubes youâ´ll find switches, one for each tube.Up is closed, down is open. Here you can open several tubes without others being closed again.

Good Hunting,

Wolf

EDIT: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif didnâ´t read Dominicriggâ´s post well enough,you already mentioned the doors...

Mr_Nakajima
04-16-2005, 11:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WolfK33:
...but notice that when you then switch to another tube and open it this way the other one will be closed again.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arrrgh! So THAT'S why I've been clipping the stern of ships all afternoon! I have been trying to open several doors by the 'Q' key; didn't appreciate they closed again when I went on to the next one! Another undocumented 'feature'!

Thanks WolfK33.

Zasa
04-16-2005, 05:14 PM
OK!
The biggest things I have changed in procedures have been:

1. Make sure door(s) are open prior to release of torps.
2. No longer shooting from view-locked positions. What I do now is try to get myself positioned as close to 90 degrees from target's course as possible and line periscope up so that in TDC, the leftmost gauge of the gyroscope angles (?) is on zero. I will zoom out to 1.5x and when target gets about halfway in that view, I switch to 6x for better identification of spot on ship I am aiming for. I fire as soon as that spot, usually engine/fuel, is in my crosshair.
I have noticed, btw, on coastal merchants, the area where the engine and fuel join, within a few feet either way is almost always a one-shot kill.

Thanks for the tips guys, my hit % went way up. I don't miss now, at least when engaging singles as I position for all of them to be 350-600m...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif