PDA

View Full Version : Fighterstick or Combatstick?

C.W.M.V.
01-12-2011, 04:56 AM
I cant decide between these two sticks. I'm leaning HEAVILY toward the Combatstick just for the thumb button. Ive been playing with a Logitech extreme pro 3D and I love how the cannon button (#2) is right under my thumb. With the combatstick I retain that, with the fighter stick its a damn hat switch. I have track IR so I don't need a hat switch to look around.
I only play IL2/WW2 stuff. Ive had a copy of lock on for a while now, but played it maybe once. Its just not my thing.
Those of you with combatsticks, do you wish you had a fighterstick? Anyone had the both and can comment on them? i know they are identical except for the 2 extra hat switches, I'm just trying to figure out of that will be a blessing or a curse.

TheGrunch
01-12-2011, 05:47 AM
I tend to agree, I prefer having at least one thumb button, if you're really hopping on adrenaline you can mess up with a hat switch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I've got elevator+rudder trims set up on WASD and prop-pitch on QE on the keyboard until I get a better setup, so I always have one hand on the keyboard anyway, don't really need everything and the kitchen sink on the stick, personally. If you use TrackIR, you could set up elevator + rudder trim on one hat, prop-pitch and aileron trim on another if you had the extra hat, I guess.

horseback
01-12-2011, 08:45 AM
I have had the CombatStick for just over eight years, and I have no complaints. (incidentally, the hat switch can be programmed to act like a normal switch--mine is now used for elevator and rudder trim).

You do understand that these sticks have no rudder axis and that you will need to have pedals if you use them, right?

cheers

horseback

LEBillfish
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Just a thought that goes very against the norm yet has served me very well and coming from necessity.

My problem is my hands are so small that I have problems reaching all of the buttons on a stick, yet mostly due to I prefer the added stability of resting my forearm on the edge of my desk, and the edge of my hand on the base of the stick......Now granted, you lose precision in that a degree of movement near the base may be 1/16 of an inch, and near the top may be an inch...Yet I feel I gain it back and then some by the stability....Therefor...

To fire my guns or do anything entails using the keyboard, or now a make shift hotas using a second stick as a throttle quadrant and other controls and switches.

The point however is this, many folks when they pull the trigger move the axis ever so much, same for any other switch or button used by the flying hand.....I on the other hand am rock solid stable......My hand on the stick to contol the aircraft surfaces dedicated to just that....My opposite doing all the other tasks including firing the guns.

So....If that logic sounds interesting (and a good way to try it out is to use your keyboard for guns).........then it makes triggers a mute point on the stick if you prefer it.

K2

TheGrunch
01-12-2011, 12:12 PM
It's a great idea, and it's certainly in line with everything I've heard about sympathetic tension from playing guitar. I keep forgetting to try it out, haven't been playing much over the last few months.
It's amazing how tense people can be and not know, I watched my dad play recently, since I've been at home over Christmas, and he actually audibly breathes in hard every time he pulls the trigger. Just about as tense as you can get! Not good for the aiming, IMO.

F19_Orheim
01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I had the same issue years back.. but I went for the Combat stick because i did not want a hatswitch... i wanted a button..which I use for fire "all guns"...

read my old review here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/3631037534 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3631037534)

Ba5tard5word
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I have the Combatstick. I like it a lot, definitely way the hell better than a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro for careful control of the plane when aiming. Takes a while to get used to but it's definitely a good upgrade. The Logitech stick constantly fights against you because of its tough spring, making it hard to make really small movements like when aiming carefully. The CH stick is much smoother and lighter and lets you carefully control your plane with fine movements.

I like the button under the thumb, which I use for cannons. I picked this stick instead of the Fighterstick because I don't really need two more hat switches and I don't think $30 more is worth paying for something I don't need. I do kind of wish there were more buttons. Between the radiator, weapon 1+2, flaps up/down, a button for centering my Track IR, prop pitch and zoom, I only have one button left for weapon 3 and 4, and have to map everything else to the keyboard. I guess I could get a separate throttle but that's like another $100 and I don't really mind the somewhat cheesy wheel throttle on the stick.

And yeah you'll need some pedals which are another $90 or whatever. Painful but if you really love the game it's pretty necessary.

JG52Uther
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I have a fighterstick.
You can never have too many buttons!

deskpilot
01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a fighterstick and agree with JG52Uther: the more buttons the better. I also have small hands and do find the 8 way hat difficult to reach easily though and the red top button, although making some controls harder to reach is good when you don't want to accidentally, say, lower the undercarriage mid fight!

blairgowrie
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Or bail.

JG52Uther
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
True,it is a big stick! The hat I use as back up if my TiR goes down.

JG52Uther
01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I used to have my 'bail out' button on my trigger..

C.W.M.V.
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:...
The point however is this, many folks when they pull the trigger move the axis ever so much, same for any other switch or button used by the flying hand.....I on the other hand am rock solid stable......My hand on the stick to contol the aircraft surfaces dedicated to just that....My opposite doing all the other tasks including firing the guns.

So....If that logic sounds interesting (and a good way to try it out is to use your keyboard for guns).........then it makes triggers a mute point on the stick if you prefer it.

K2
It is an interesting thought, and you make a good case for it, but my trigger control is spot on. It helps that these are my other hobbies...
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t322/dotson_kc/GUNS/st4161_psl1236210614.jpg http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t322/dotson_kc/m16a1.jpg
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t322/dotson_kc/IMG00015-20100928-1330.jpg http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t322/dotson_kc/IMG00014-20100928-1330.jpg

Sorry but I take every opportunity to show some of my babies!

...STANDBY! Sick wife calls! More to follow, out.

C.W.M.V.
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
When all is said and done Ill have the CH throttle quadrant and their pedals. So between either of the sticks and the throttle quadrant I think Ill have enough for a P-47/38.
Seems that it all comes down to personal taste. You guys that have the fighter stick where do you have the various weapon commands assigned?

Ba5tard5word
01-12-2011, 04:48 PM
With the Combatstick I have weapon 1 to the trigger, 2 to the thumb button, and either 3 or 4 to the big red button on the top left of the stick. I don't do much ground attack stuff but when I do I have to rearrange it a little for weapon 3 and 4, I should probably rearrange my settings a bit to make room.

LEBillfish
01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Well we have countless firearms here I shoot all the time, yet I never tried turning and moving a rifle in three axis while trying to shoot something wildly trying to evade in three axis getting shot....heck it's even more difficult then sporting clays and skeet.

But, do what you think is best http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

K2

C.W.M.V.
01-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Well we have countless firearms here I shoot all the time, yet I never tried turning and moving a rifle in three axis while trying to shoot something wildly trying to evade in three axis getting shot....heck it's even more difficult then sporting clays and skeet.

But, do what you think is best http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

K2
Everyone is different but if you can control a rifle trigger you shouldn't have any problem with a joystick. Then again I have hundreds of thousands of rounds under my belt and more than from just a range, so maybe I'm the one who's off?
Regardless I don't have any trouble hitting what I aim at in or out of the sim, so its a moot point.
Think I'm going to go with the combatstick. I just don't need the extra hat switches and I do need the thumb button!
Thanks all.

M_Gunz
01-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:

K2

Just like the weapon, you got to get a stick that fits your hand. One size don't fit all.
Besides, -anyone- can jerk a trigger. Big enough target, close range, it don't matter.

Nice you should mention that joystick trigger use can cause some unintended movement of the joystick and no, time with rifles don't fix or even apply, the weapon is designed to keep your arm and trigger hand in place and steady unlike a joystick. I have yet to see a joystick with a shoulder stock. I have yet to see a rifle with a twist handle and hat switch, but maybe there is one? Never have I been shown a shooting stance where I needed to keep twisting the grip around either. Am I so inexperienced? LOL!

What I have experience with is a joystick that fit my hand poorly and was at times a PITA to hold and use the trigger without some small deviation. Getting a stick with a comfortable grip and button placement for -your- hand is paramount.

I have a bit opposite your problem BF. My paws can't deal well with the smaller sticks.

TheGrunch
01-13-2011, 08:56 AM
The big orange glowing button on the X-45 throttle is the perfect gun button. Might have to install a USB controller into it now that the stick has died and my wonderful top-quality Saitek Aviator has spiking and erratic calibration issues on both throttle axes.

C.W.M.V.
01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:

K2

Just like the weapon, you got to get a stick that fits your hand. One size don't fit all.
Besides, -anyone- can jerk a trigger. Big enough target, close range, it don't matter.

Nice you should mention that joystick trigger use can cause some unintended movement of the joystick and no, time with rifles don't fix or even apply, the weapon is designed to keep your arm and trigger hand in place and steady unlike a joystick. I have yet to see a joystick with a shoulder stock. I have yet to see a rifle with a twist handle and hat switch, but maybe there is one? Never have I been shown a shooting stance where I needed to keep twisting the grip around either. Am I so inexperienced? LOL!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well for me it correlates. The whole idea of trigger control is to activate the weapon system without changing its orientation. Its just like using the RWS on a Stryker or M1114, and pretty similar to a .50 although the M2 does have a butterfly trigger, eh same difference. If you can fire accurately from a moving truck, or engage on the move, up and down stairs, in and out of houses then you should be fine.

LEBillfish
01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Online coops are the best.....where I test out my theories...cya there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

K2

Choctaw111
01-14-2011, 06:57 AM
I can't argue with the extra buttons my Fighterstick gives me.
I've had it for 7 years and still works great.