PDA

View Full Version : For those that always bring up Altair's accent

E-Zekiel
12-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Altair was voiced by a man of Iranian-Arab descent.

Al Mualim was voiced by a white guy.

That is all.

Abeonis
12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
We know this, what's your point?

E-Zekiel
12-08-2010, 04:58 PM
That was my point. Most people act like Altair was voiced by a white dude. He wasn't.

Abeonis
12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Erm, no, most people act like he was given an American accent in-game; he was.

Murcuseo
12-09-2010, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Abeonis:

^This.

I can't remember anyone acting like he was voiced by a white guy...

LightRey
12-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Abeonis:
That, my friends, is the truth. Learn it, live it, love it. The exam will be on december 21 2012.

persiateddy95
12-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Altair rules, although his voice in Bloodlines sucks...

Blackglasswar
12-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by persiateddy95:
Altair rules, although his voice in Bloodlines sucks...

you kiddin me - it sounds better and more authentic in Bloodlines. granted it is still delivered with a twang but at least it sounds like he belongs in the country.

persiateddy95
12-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Blackglasswar:
it sounds better and more authentic in Bloodlines.
I think it was too much. His voice in AC1 just pleases me more, but that's just a matter of opinion.

kriegerdesgottes
12-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I didn't even have a problem so much with the accent as I did with the fact he was just a downright terrible voice actor. and don't get me wrong I loved the first game. possibly too much. but that was some bad voice acting on altair's part.

LadyXandrix
12-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I feel like they were going for the monotone feeling in his voice, since he is an assassin.

Xanatos2007
12-10-2010, 01:26 AM
I think they did it for social purposes, since Americans can't seem to relate to anything but other Americans. Imagine if Altair had, say... Malik's voice.

Randy 355
12-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I think they did it for social purposes, since Americans can't seem to relate to anything but other Americans. Imagine if Altair had, say... Malik's voice.
You could at least TRY not to come off as offensive. I can relate to people of other nationality easily.

I was never bothered by Altair's voice, but then again I am the only one out of my friends who NEVER complains about any voice acting. I tend to look past how the story is told, and just keep my eyes on the details.

Ru1986
12-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
That was my point. Most people act like Altair was voiced by a white dude. He wasn't.

My god what a nieve comment no one ever suggested the colour of his skin. We complain because he spoke with a US accent not that he was white. Plus if he was voiced by an Iranaian why did he then speak with an American Accent????

Ru1986
12-10-2010, 02:30 AM

Dear me the vast majority of people on this forum are from the US (not me im from London) and you say something like that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Mr_Shade
12-10-2010, 03:25 AM
Let's not drag the thread in to this kind of discussion please...

If there is no more valid thoughts on it, I will lock it..

persiateddy95
12-10-2010, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Ru1986:
Plus if he was voiced by an Iranaian why did he then speak with an American Accent????
From that point of view, why is the game even in English? Why do they speak English? Perhaps it should have been in Iranian.

The voice actor could have been born in Iran but lived most of his life on the US, or any other country.
And from what I've seen, non native English speakers, some speak English with their own accent, because it's not their country language so it's normal, and some can speak English with no specific accent, pretty much like American people, which to me have no accent at all, just, clean English. While English people from the United Kingdom have their own accent, which sometimes I can't even understand very well.

So I can't really see the point of the discussion about his 'American accent' whatsoever.

BK-110
12-10-2010, 04:07 AM
Personally I don't mind the accent that much. After all, that's just Animus 1.28's translation software. We could justify it like this: Alta´r, due to his importance, was given an American accent, so as to make him more easily understandable for Desmond and the staff.

Ru1986
12-10-2010, 04:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ru1986:
Plus if he was voiced by an Iranaian why did he then speak with an American Accent????
From that point of view, why is the game even in English? Why do they speak English? Perhaps it should have been in Iranian.

The voice actor could have been born in Iran but lived most of his life on the US, or any other country.
And from what I've seen, non native English speakers, some speak English with their own accent, because it's not their country language so it's normal, and some can speak English with no specific accent, pretty much like American people, which to me have no accent at all, just, clean English. While English people from the United Kingdom have their own accent, which sometimes I can't even understand very well.

So I can't really see the point of the discussion about his 'American accent' whatsoever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if you were to visit the Holyland in the 12th century and met a man with an American accent you would not be confused a little bit? At the end of the day its a terrible flaw in the game IMO. If what you say is true i.e. he has lived in the states most of his life but is Iranian fair play but dont you think they could have found an Arabian actor who was not america im sure there are plenty. It would have given the game far more authenticity.

persiateddy95
12-10-2010, 04:35 AM
So if you were to visit the Holyland in the 12th century and met a man with an American accent you would not be confused a little bit?
Most likely there wouldn't me a man who could talk English.
And that's up to the person (I'm not saying it's opcional) if he/she can talk English or not without his/her native accent. You might come to speak just like an English native person does. And for those who don't, well, a good example are politicians, have you ever seen them speaking English? I'm not saying some cannot speak just like an English native does though.

Either way, these are games, and there will always be the English version, which to some will not feel right. I could say the same, why do the characters from Prince Of Persia speak English and not their own language? Because it's the English version, made by people from the US. (In this case it's Ubisoft Montreal)
If these games had been produced in an Iranian country, perhaps they would have added Iranians voices, but it's not a certainty.

Sabooza
12-10-2010, 05:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ru1986:

So I can't really see the point of the discussion about his 'American accent' whatsoever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
not being picky or anything, but didn't english originate in england? so british english is the clean english, wheras american english has an accent, just sayin

persiateddy95
12-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Sabooza:
not being picky or anything, but didn't english originate in england? so british english is the clean english, wheras american english has an accent, just sayin
If you learn how to speak English you will most likely end up speaking like an American does rather than a British does, that's all I'm trying to say. The British English just sounds weird to me, I'm not saying it's their accent since they created English, it's just a way I was using to define it.

TheSpectator
12-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Australia english is the best english. Now if you excuse me i'm going to go throw another shrimp on the barby while rootin a kangaroo mate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

Ru1986
12-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Your Not wrong the queens english died along time ago. i dont know anyone in Londond who speaks in the "proper" way.

Maybe if you live in Chelsea you do, But that wont make any sense to anyone who lives outside of London. Most english folk dont talke "proper" English most is just regional accent based.

Anyway point is an American accent should not have been used for a game set in the Holyland in the 12th Century poor error IMO.

Blackglasswar
12-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Your Not wrong the queens english died along time ago. i dont know anyone in Londond who speaks in the "proper" way.

Maybe if you live in Chelsea you do, But that wont make any sense to anyone who lives outside of London. Most english folk dont talke "proper" English most is just regional accent based.

I disagree... those of us in the Home Counties of Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Berkshire (Royal Berkshire to be indignent) and Hertfordshire take our use of the mother tongue quite seriously... It is just Essex letting the Home Counties down.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Grandmaster_Z
12-10-2010, 07:20 AM

pretty much. i mean in real life hashashins were muslim but for the game altair is muslim/christian. its just more socially acceptabel the way ubi did it. im not hating, its just reality.

Ru1986
12-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Blackglasswar:

I disagree... those of us in the Home Counties of Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Berkshire (Royal Berkshire to be indignent) and Hertfordshire take our use of the mother tongue quite seriously... It is just Essex letting the Home Counties down.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha you should go to some of the places in Kent and listen to how they speak people from Deptford speak better than most people in Kent. Chatham for example Gillinham, Folkestone, Dover, Ramsgate and Margate.

These are all in Kent and all of them are apauling places full of apauling people speaking very badly but im sure there are exceptions. Surrey and the rest i agree with but Kent no no no no the garden of England is not a pleasent as everyone may think.

Afterall i live in Deptford and i think speak very well so i spose everywere has it not great areas and then nice areas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xanatos2007
12-10-2010, 12:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
Dear me the vast majority of people on this forum are from the US (not me im from London) and you say something like that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
@<span class="ev_code_RED">U</span><span class="ev_code_WHITE">S</span><span class="ev_code_BLUE">A</span>: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt005.gif

It's true though, how many videogame characters can you name that aren't a short brown-haired male with an extremely Western accent? Even where it isn't quite relevant (AC1, the PoP series, etc).

itsamea-mario
12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
and the british /german blond haired tall guys are usually the stereotype sinister bad guy.

so i guess i should be evil,

tattybye off to kill some puppies and take over the world an' all that pip pip.

also on topic, an american accent does seem a bit stupid, but then again any accent seems stupid, i'd like this magical transaltion device that can change the words, and synchronise them to the mouth movemetns of actual people, and also make them make sense in order, whilst keeping the accent.

reality you'd expect a computer voice, or no audiable transaltion at all just subtitles, i mean i'm sure since desmond is given the mindseet of his ancester whilst reliving their memories, i'm sure he would be able to understand everything perfectly well as if it where english, a reason why i think afterwards he should be able to speak italian and a bit of arabic.
the whole translation idea to seems to be purely a gameplay mechanic.

LightRey
12-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:

pretty much. i mean in real life hashashins were muslim but for the game altair is muslim/christian. its just more socially acceptabel the way ubi did it. im not hating, its just reality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually I believe Altair himself was an atheist. It's just that one of his parents was a christian and the other a muslim.

itsamea-mario
12-10-2010, 02:20 PM
his discription says spiritual.

LightRey
12-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
his discription says spiritual.
Which description are you speaking of exactly?

Xanatos2007
12-10-2010, 02:47 PM
By "spiritual" I think it could be safe to say that Altair was an Alchemist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8TNCYtTV4) of sorts. Seems to be further backed up if you read the Codex and pay attention to some of the 'ancient' glyph puzzles & clues.