PDA

View Full Version : ima **** newb! cant even take off the **** carrier!!

digitalDOC
03-20-2005, 07:32 PM
ok laugh all u want but **** i cant get off the carrier THE BRAKES WONT WORK! i even remapped b to k and have it b and k - i get the engine up 110 and put the flaps in takeoff mode but i cant move!!!

digitalDOC
03-20-2005, 07:32 PM
ok laugh all u want but **** i cant get off the carrier THE BRAKES WONT WORK! i even remapped b to k and have it b and k - i get the engine up 110 and put the flaps in takeoff mode but i cant move!!!

Zyzbot
03-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Did you remember to remove the chocks?

digitalDOC
03-20-2005, 07:42 PM
how do you remove the chocks?

Zyzbot
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Map a key to it in the Controls.

BuzzU
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Assign a key to them.

Bull_dog_
03-20-2005, 07:48 PM
read the "read me" and any other instructions...it will help the learning curve immensly...trust me i know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

digitalDOC
03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
got it thanks guys - now i cant even manage to make it off the **** carrier lol - goes to the right and right into the water i go

digitalDOC
03-20-2005, 09:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digitalDOC:
got it thanks guys - now i cant even manage to make it off the **** carrier lol - goes to the left and right into the water i go <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was a cry for help

AVG_WarHawk
03-20-2005, 09:27 PM
What plane are you using? Are you using flaps on take-off?

Enthor1
03-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Apply a bit of rudder to keep straight.

corvette93
03-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Apply full throttle 110%. Push stick forward and release chocks. You have to horse it off the deck. Flaps help.

FI_Willie
03-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Keep trying. It won't be easy at first.

You'll probably have to tweak your control settings to suit you.

Flying drunk helps me.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AlGroover
03-21-2005, 03:31 AM
When you're off the end of the deck, retract gear immediately. It's no use to you, will improve aerodynamics and may be the difference between a close look at the water and a swim.

F19_Ob
03-21-2005, 03:39 AM
taking off from carriers is harder than from ground.
In the beginning, before u are familiar with the planes characteristics, landings and take-offs will be the hardest phase.
Landings on carriers are hard for experienced too so one need lots of practise to manage them well.

If u constantly stall and crash on landing u might want to set the sensitivity on the stick down a bit. U can do this in the controller-settings in the game.

give it some time because this is very different compared to games in general.

fidzzz
03-21-2005, 04:45 AM
get engine to its limit then lock tailwheel so it will keep u relativly straightish as u go down runway b4 u release chocks make sure u have WEP on landing flaps for take off is what i normally use and also watch what ur fuel and bombload is, as on some carriers u cant take off with too much weight unless the carrier is moving pretty fast and even then its a case of luck if u have too much weight, i wud even keep cockpit closed,I dunno if it wud affect the AC that much if it was open but i only open on landing and thats only if i really need to..
retract everything as soon as ur off the end of the carrier as it will help u out alot then open ur radiator to give ur engine a chance to chillout after the take off and once u got height throttle back http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
hope this helps and good luck with the carriers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OldPepper
03-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Leave flaps retracted until you approach the very end of the ship (10 meters or so). My flaps are down for only a few seconds upon leaving the deck and as mentioned, get the gear up ASAP.

It's also important to get the tail up quickly upon releasing chocks. On the Illustrious Carrier, be careful of the gun turret on the left-side tip of the flat-top! You can collide with it!

Landing F4U's on a carrier is really hairy! Can do it fine with other Carrier planes (F4F, F6F), but the Corsairs are a real challenge to land without augering!

Sgt.Raptor2
03-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Carrier take-off

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=take-off

Grumman F6F Hellcat has manual landing gear

Spartan_GR
03-21-2005, 08:17 AM
altering the prop pitch helps in a carrier take-off ?

VW-IceFire
03-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Hellcat has automatic landing gear...its the Wildcat that has a manual system for raising the gear. Manual raise/lower of the undercarriage also needs a keymap.

Leave prop pitch alone for carrier takeoff. You want 100% pitch setting as this is giving the engine the most bite into the air. You want to set it down to 60% or even 30% if you are (or are simulating) a long range mission and you want cruise speeds. But for combat and takeoffs...100%. In most cases, just leave the pitch alone.

Here's my quick takeoff scheme for carrier pilots (assume Corsair or Hellcat):
1) Open radiator flaps
2) Start engine
3) Run engine upto 110%
Note: If carrying a heavy bomb load, set fuel mix to 110%
4) Hold rudder to the right (or trim right rudder)
5) Release chocks
6) Use rudder to hold aircraft steady down the deck
7) Just before leaving the deck, lower flaps to takeoff position
8) Let the plane drop ever so slightly and then apply slight pressure back on the stick and raise the nose

Congratulations, you just took off! Remember now to raise the flaps slowly, raise the landing gear, and set fuel mix back to 100%.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-21-2005, 09:42 AM
All good advice, but remember that most people have great difficulty with more than 25% fuel and any type of adequate bomb load. HVAR's and 25% fuel is decent, but if you really want to sink a ship you'll need something more substantial and taking off a carrier with anything more than that takes a bit of practice and the ear of god as you're rolling down the deck.

Oftentimes we've had to actually taxi to the back of the ship and use the entire deck (as well as full flaps, 120% mix, canopy closed, etc,..) which is not feasible in a heated DF room most of the time.

TB

StG77_Stuka
03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
HHhmmm...canopy closed ehh? Often wondered if that was factored in to the FM.

diomedes33
03-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Can anyone get a MK I or II Corsair off the Deck of a staionary HMS Illustrious with fuel load of 50% or greater? I did it once but ripped the mains off in the water. I was using
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> 110% throttle
<LI> 120% mixture
<LI> 100% prop pitch
<LI> rads closed
<LI> canopy closed
<LI> every combination of flaps I could think of
[/list]

I could get the seafire up about half the time, but I always seemed to stall the starboard wing.

I was putting together a DF map and when I was testing it out realized that most of the aircraft I had for the red side were not able to fly.