PDA

View Full Version : Question about: Excellent/Perfect vs. 0-1-2-3 settings

Tallyho1961
12-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Can anybody explain the relationship between the Excellent and Perfect video quality settings and the often discussed 0-1-2-3 config.ini variables?

In other words, do the 0-1-2-3 settings go beyond the Excellent and Perfect levels? If a system were capable enough, could all these variables be increased to 3?

Below is the last part of the OpenGL portion of my config.ini which lists these variables:

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

I'm about half clear on this, but would appreciate clarification from anybody who knows.

S!

Tallyho1961
12-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Can anybody explain the relationship between the Excellent and Perfect video quality settings and the often discussed 0-1-2-3 config.ini variables?

In other words, do the 0-1-2-3 settings go beyond the Excellent and Perfect levels? If a system were capable enough, could all these variables be increased to 3?

Below is the last part of the OpenGL portion of my config.ini which lists these variables:

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

I'm about half clear on this, but would appreciate clarification from anybody who knows.

S!

Maple_Tiger
12-06-2004, 04:56 AM
Yes and no.

Perfect anables the best landscape. For example, Land details = 2 and water = 1 or (depending if you have shaders 2).

Some of these will not go any higher then two. However, some will go beyond 2.

Water can go to =3...if you have shader 3. Forest can go to =3. However, it realy kills FPS. Same with Effects =1. It can go to =2, but it realy kills the FPS when ground pounding.

So far, from what I can tell, Sky will not go any higher then =2. If you try, it may get set back to =1.

Tallyho1961
12-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Hi Maple_Tiger,

Thank you - this is more or less of what I suspected might be the case. I guess the developers have allowed "headroom" for those with cutting edge hardware.

I've heard about the "effects 2" setting being there in anticipation of next generation video cards, or something like that. I turned it on once and saw much more realistic smoke coming from the aircraft carrier I was parked on - but turned it off after seeing a warning from Oleg that it should not be used.

Unless I've missed it, it's curious that this isn't all explained in a table somewhere.

Regards.

VW-IceFire
12-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Its not that it shouldn't be used...its that its not properly tested or optimized for good performance. So use at your own will but you may not get good FPS.

Personally I've used these settings to great advantage. I can run perfect mode but only with water=0 enabled. I CAN on the other hand enable forest=3 with no trouble.

Jason Bourne
12-06-2004, 08:29 AM
why has oleg said not to use =2? i thought it was the testing mode for efects, or maybe im thinking of water=2....oh well, but why not use =2 for SSs?

Tallyho1961
12-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the clarifications guys. I think I need to put some effort into recording FPS at the various settings to see how my system reacts.

S!

DD_NL
12-06-2004, 11:30 AM
These settings still dont make sense to me though:
When I set the video settings in the game to Excellent, then go and change the Water=0 in the conf.ini to increase framerate, when I go back in the game and check the video options, it shows Landscape Detail = Perfect.

BSS_Vidar
12-06-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm not certain of any support for Shader version in respect to my video card. I have the Asus version of the ATI 9800Pro 256MB/256bit card with the 4.11 driver installed. Is there an optimum setting in the config file for this card?

RocketDog
12-06-2004, 01:53 PM
That's OK, DD_NL. Perfect water can be enabled from the in-game graphics menu as you say. But exactly what type of perfect water is enabled is determined by the water = 0, 1, 2 or 3 setting in the conf.ini file.

In Brief:

water = 0 has no cloud shadows or (IIRC) reflections - which looks a bit odd. It has the least frame rate hit.

water = 1 has shadows and reflections from clouds. It looks very nice because of this, although there is a processing overhead so the frame rate is lower. I think that this is the best compromise between frame rate and detail.

water = 2 is as water = 1 but has a rather funny, gelatinous look to it. Personally, I think it's horrible and the worst of all the water options in the game.

water = 3 is only available on the Nvidia 6800 serise cards. It includes a very beautiful and realistic "rough ocean surface" look, and in stormy settings has beautiful breaking wavecrests etc. The computational overhead is frightening and even the most powerful PCs can only yield modest frame rates at lowish resolutions. In my opinion, water = 3 will become ueseable with the next generation of cards, it's more of a curiosity for now, although it looks great in screenshots.

In all this bear in mind that the new water effects in excellent are (IMHO) at least as good as water = 0 and arguably better since they give cloud shadows and give very good FPS.

Finally, one good thing is that thre still seems to be some progress to be made in optimising drivers and the game for the perfect water, so we may even see FPS/image-quality improvements in future.

Regards,

RocketDog.

Tallyho1961
12-06-2004, 02:54 PM
That's very enlightening, RocketDog. So if one were to enable "Perfect" settings in-game, and never go near the config.ini file (too late for me), what Water setting would be enabled in the config.ini? Your explanation seems to suggest that all four config.ini Water settings are "beyond" in-game Perfect. I'm just curious at this point.

PS - Is there an analagous situation for Forest 0-1-2-3?

RocketDog
12-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Not sure. I suspect it gives water = 1 as the default, but like most people's, my conf.ini file has been edited so many times I've lost track of where it was originally. Possibly it sets water = x to different numbers depending on what graphics card it thinks you have.

Regards,

RocketDog.