PDA

View Full Version : New patch is great...But AI is STOOOOPID now!

Col_Tibbetts
02-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey all,

I've been away from PF for a while now but I thought I would give it a try since all these new patches came out. The new FM is great, the new aircraft are great, but the AI is dumb as ever!

Try setting up a quick mission with 4 veteran Zeroes and 4 veteran F4U's. First off a terrible deficiency with the quick mission builder that has been there since day one is the fact that you cannot set different altitudes for the opposing sides. So the main advantage of the Corsair is taken away. How can one boom and zoom when the fight starts at the same alt.

Secondly, you tell the AI wingnuts to attack and inexplicably two of them fly off in formation in the complete opposite direction of the fight! THEY JUST RUN AWAY!!! Meanwhile you and your number two get their asses chewed by four AI Zeroes!

Has Oleg changed the AI so that the heavier planes try to set up B&Z attacks while the lighter planes try to turn-fight? I watched the track I recorded and it looks like planes 3 and 4 in my flight ran away because they were trying to gain altitude and attack. The problem is that since in the QMB both sides start at the same alt within sight of each other there is no time to use appropriate tactics.

Oh well I'm off to find some good online servers. This is a great sim (<-said to calm the fanboys) but it really sucks offline. AI is way to stupid for that.

Good thing online play rocks.

Col. Tibbets

S_p_l_a_s_h_1
02-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Col_Tibbetts:
First off a terrible deficiency with the quick mission builder that has been there since day one is the fact that you cannot set different altitudes for the opposing sides.

Have you tried the "Situation" drop-down box right above the map selection?
"Advantage" starts your side at a higher altitude than your opponent. I forget the amount. You're not dropping down from the heavens ... but you're not "starting at the same alt."

Splash1

Saunders1953
02-25-2006, 12:48 PM
"First off a terrible deficiency with the quick mission builder ..."

Take two, and call us in the morning. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

(UberDaemon's Quick Mission Builder):

http://www.uberdemon.com/

(Crazy Schmidt's Mission Mate):

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#028

J_Anonymous
02-25-2006, 01:31 PM
FYI : I tend to fly blue in QMB, and my wingmen are not that smart, either. (So, we are even....)

When I send my command to my wingman, "cover me," he would cheerfully reply "Rgr" (of course in Japanese), but he tends to stray away if I keep climbing. Can somebody tell me how to enforce my command(s)?! Are there any tricks I am missing?

Saunders1953
02-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Anon...Try repeating the command a couple of times. I can't tell if it always does any good. If theye are too far away or other factors are in the way of an immediate response, they still sometimes say yes when they mean no. (Sound familiar? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif)

J_Anonymous
02-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Yes, sounds familiar. They are supposed to be more obedient. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I guess they don't respect me, I will court martial them next time.

slo_1_2_3
02-28-2006, 04:39 PM
inforce your comands with a 12 gauge...or maybe the 50 cals on yer plane

FastDriver74
02-28-2006, 11:34 PM
LOL.

I have yet to play any flight sim where your wingman actually helped you. Usually they fly around the target fully loaded and when you say 'Attack' they say 'Negative.' or 'Cannot comply'...

Thankfully most sims don't penalize you too much for killing them.

Squad-based shooters suffer much the same. AI is pretty stupid in most games. Usually bimbos with machine guns or in our case, bimbos behind the stick with machine guns.

SeaFireLIV
03-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Col_Tibbetts:
This is a great sim (<-said to calm the fanboys) but it really sucks offline. AI is way to stupid for that.

Col. Tibbets

The problem with you guys is you call us fanboys if we don`t instantly agree with you. The difference between you and me (fanboy), is i don`t knee-jerk react after a few missions of play. I fly again and again for a couple of weeks so I can TRULY KNOW what I`m talking about. We `fanboys` WILL SAY if we see a problem, we simply test longer to be sure.

There IS a PROBLEM. Not for your exact reasons, but 4.04 has ruined the AI, especially in basic dogfighting. We should return to 4.02 or 3. I have made a new post in ORR.

CRSutton
03-01-2006, 12:10 PM
As posted above. Use UberDaemon's Quick Mission Builder. It is brilliant and not to difficult to learn. Opens up a whole new world for off line players.

Grey_Mouser67
03-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Excellent....glad to see that this board now has a "Stupid AI" post on it...I wouldn't want Oleg and crew to miss the message.

It is, in a freakish sort of way, nice to be whining about something other than red vs blue! I just had this awesome feeling after playing 4.03 that it was Oleg's best patch until the DM of the Mossie showed up...so then it was great that we got 4.04 to address this...and like a big turd in my wheaties, I find this AI thing...

In fact, I know some have some feelings and opinions that the wobble may have changed the AI, I have a different theory....

The code/logic of AI algorithms has been significantly altered...it is obvious that the planes fly differently and hold energy, but the aggressiveness and evasive manuevers a plane uses is code related not FM related so to speak...I believe 4.03 had a bad or old file in it...it was released with the wrong file...and 4.04 is simply the file that should have been in the patch in the first place...the main reason I say this is simply the amount of content that was in the patch along with the lack of beta testing....

But whatever happened, it is the outcome that is important...please bring us back 4.01-4.03AI in a small, mini patch if possible!