GIBABYTE Nvidia G70 GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB
for a couple, SLI connected, of new
XFX Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT 256MB DDR3

Other relevant PC components:

MB ASUS A8NSLI DL 4DDR400-2CH 2PCI-E16X La
AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 GHz
Corsair Value Twinx 2GB (1GbX2 MB) DDR PC3200 RAM
2 HD SATA 74GB 10.000RPM 8MB cache

Graphic processor driver, (nVidia 84.21) & BIOS, (Phoenix AwardBIOS ver 6.00PG) have been updated to last cestified available versions.

As a testbed I'm using my last, work in progress, Il2DCG third party campaign, that means:

- Stalingrad Summer map

- 9 to 12 operative squadrons, of 6 to 8 planes each, plus 4 to 6 single plane recon flights, per mission.

- 20-30 operative columns on the map: armor, supply columns, trains.

- 4-6 contested locations, per mission, where opposed side ground units are engaging each other.

- Hundreds static objects spread over the map: parked planes, armors, guns, trucks, neutral objects....

Il2PF resolution: 1280x960x32, OpenGL

Il2PF graphic setting: all entries set to maximum, but LANDSCAPE DETAIL set to excellent.
PERFECT SETTING IS MOSTLY FOR DENMOSTRATIVE PERFORMANCE, in my opinion.

Other Il2PF conf.ini noteworth setting:

Water=2, Not relevant over continental maps

Forest=1, forest setting has a relevant effect over Eastern fron map

Effects=0

Graphic processor setting

Performance & Quality setting:
Most parameters have been set to maximum available value, enabling most advanced features; example: Anisotropic filtering=16x, Tripple buffering=ON, Image setting=High Quality,.....

Antialiasing setting=2xQ, using 1280x960 Resolution, or superior, is non sence to employ higher Antialiasing setting values.

MICRO & MACRO STUTTERING are most common troubles experienced playing Il2PF while using not optimized Il2PF configurations, not optimized graphic drivers, or when trying Il2PF setting overwhelming the harware limit.

MICRO STUTTERING is referred as a continous, unsmooth visual perception with feeling of micro pauses.
MICRO STUTTERING is commonly experienced over low edge machines while trying high graphic setting options; most users reported MICRO STUTTERING troubles on high edge PC when using water=3/4 & PERFECT setting, expecially when flying NAP OF EARTH.

MACRO STUTTERING is a low incidence, one/two second pause....Indeed in the middle of dogfight a 1 second pause is a really long time !!!!!
MACRO STUTTERING is commonly reported at engagement begins, when the first MG boost is fired, or when radio communications go overcrowded.
In il2DCG missions, enabling flights delayed start time option, MACRO STUTTERING is commonly experienced when a new flight appears in the mission.
MACRO STUTTERING incidence increase and MICRO STUTTERING episodes have commonly been reported by Athlon dual core processor users after 30 minutes of Il2PF gaming.

Test session results.

1. WEATHER CONDITIONS have a high effect over frame rate, with a heavy FR decay when clouds are present.
I didn't experienced CLOUDS=0 setting, yet !!!!!

2. MICRO & MACRO STUTTERING occur after 30 minutes of game playing***: Il2PF graphic setting, graphic processor setting, squadrons and ground units density are un-influnt, as regard.
Rebooting the PC is the best way to recover maximum performance for the next 30 minutes !!!!!

*** over Athlon dual core processor PC.

Disabling one of the two processor cores -core 0, in my testbed session-, I could play il2PF continously, for two hours, without any performance decay and without observing any MICRO & MACRO STUTTERING episode.
Clouded weather conditions till reduce FR, but without seriously affecting game play experience, that is really smooth and enjoyable.
Of course reducing some parameters relative to Il2PF graphic setting or to the Graphic processor setting, we could recover the best FR value experienced in good weather condition.

CONCLUSIONS & SUGGESTIONS

Most user's tips and suggestions are contradictory: some users gain benefits when setting "texture compression NONE" and/or "Texture Anisotropic Extension unchecked" in Il2PF setup utility....
On the contrary other users reported performance improvements when setting "texture compression S3TC" and/or "Texture Anisotropic Extension checked".***
The same can apply to any other parameter and setting relative to Il2PF configuration, and/or to Graphic processor setting.

*** I tryed both solutions without any relevant impact on game play.

For Athlon Dual core processor users disabling one of the two cores leads to great benefit.
I could clearly denmostrate that over AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 GHz using both:
GIBABYTE Nvidia G70 GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB,
both:
a couple of, SLI connected XFX Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT 256MB DDR3.**
All that with different nVidia driver versions: at present I'm using ver. 84.21, but I tryed other certified nVidia driver versions released in the last 8-10 months.

**The last solution allowed to try best setting values for Graphic processor & Il2PF graphic, without worsening in performance, but anyway both solution greately benefit from disabling one of two cores.

HOW TO DISABLE CORES PROCESSOR is at users will.

1. Initialize IL2PF: once at Il2PF main menu launch -Alt, Ctrl, Del- WINDOWS TASK MANAGER.
Locate and select Il2fb.exe, with RMC evidence "affinity setting" and with a LMC access to "affinity setting table": here you can disable/uncheck one of two cores.
Close WINDOWS TASK MANAGER, return to Il2PF main menu....it's time to start your game session.

Of course you have to repeat this routine any time you launch Il2PF !!!!!

2. Once you have verified any performance improvement according to foregoing point 1 routine, you could try a different solution.
Downlod and install WinLauncherXP utility.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download870.html

Add Il2PF.exe to WinLauncherXP "Launching" page, and configure that properly:
- SMP page of WinLauncherXP: set the core processor to be used, usually processor1.
- Standard options page of WinLauncherXP: "3.Select the application priority"....here you can try different setting solutions at your risk !!!!
I set it to HIGH with best results when playing Il2PF.!!!!
- Window options page of WinLauncherXP: set 8.Window mode=HIDDEN
Save your setting selection before exiting WinLauncherXP.

Use Launch page of WinLauncherXP to inizialize any future il2PF game session: to verify Il2PF is actually running single core you can use point 1 routine !!!

Note:
WinLauncherXP: "3.Select the application priority"....setting that to HIGH you'll have Il2PF running over one of the two Athlon cores, with selected code mainly dedicated exclusively to il2PF execution and management.

Following my suggestions is at user own risk !!!!!
I'll take no charge for any trouble, problem, mulfuntion, damage to your hardware or software.

Anyway I remark that using foregoing point 2 option I'm running Il2PF at very high graphic detail level - exclusive of PERFECT MODE -, at medium high density level of squadrons and ground objects, with no MICRO & MACRO STUTTERING occurence, in a smooth and really enjoyable way.

JastaV

TheGozr
04-17-2006, 12:05 PM
here it goes, Thank you for everyone interested.

Persecutor_352
04-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Interesting thread, JastaV, and interesting ideas. I don't have a dual-core installation yet (have the CPU, new mainboard on its way), so I can't personally attest to the success of your recommendations.

However, in anticipation of my new build, I ran across this (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429) thread at XtremeSystems -- have you tried the suggestions there and did they make any difference to your gameplay?

hamselv2
04-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Perhaps more inspiration in my post here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/314103891/p/3

panzerd18
04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Antialiasing setting

How do I change this setting?

CapBackassward
04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by panzerd18:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Antialiasing setting

How do I change this setting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right click on your desktop and click on properties\
setting tab\
advanced tab\
video card tab\

You should have an anti-aliasing tab\option there somewhere depending on what kind of video card control panel your have.

Rick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif