PDA

View Full Version : Flight physics

DHC2Pilot
12-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Have any of you noticed that when applying rudder (for the sake of argument let's say RIGHT rudder), the nose will yaw to the right as it is supposed to, however the left wing drops? This happens on almost every aircraft I've tested. In real world physics when the nose yaws to the right due to right rudder input, the left wing begins to lead and actually gains a slight amount of lift over the right wing. We should be seeing the right wing drop instead, but it's backwards.

DHC2Pilot
12-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Have any of you noticed that when applying rudder (for the sake of argument let's say RIGHT rudder), the nose will yaw to the right as it is supposed to, however the left wing drops? This happens on almost every aircraft I've tested. In real world physics when the nose yaws to the right due to right rudder input, the left wing begins to lead and actually gains a slight amount of lift over the right wing. We should be seeing the right wing drop instead, but it's backwards.

TenYardxFight
12-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Hmm... I've never noticed this... I'll have to check it out.

AFJ_Locust
12-25-2004, 05:51 PM
um hmmmmmmmmmm

BlitzPig_DDT
12-25-2004, 07:11 PM
I had always found rudder increases roll - ie, it rolls to the side of input, as it should.

Is this something different in the new patch?

Hannibal6
12-25-2004, 07:44 PM
It depends mainly on the location of the Center of Gravity of the A/C and also the AoA of the wing. In most cases with a right rudder input the left wing would rise because the CG is usually below the line of action of the resulting force on the rudder.

Tully__
12-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Without actually getting into trying to calculate exact responses, I'd expect:

On initial application of right rudder with no other control inputs, a slight roll to the left and pronounced yaw to the right (rudder/vertical stab is slightly above and well behind CoG and applying right rudder would exert a small torque to the left about the roll axis and a large torque to the right about the yaw axis).

As yaw stabilises the leading left wing, partly occluded right wing and di-hedral (where applicable) would combine to add lift to the left wing, reduce lift on the right wing and impart a right roll inducing torque about the roll axis. This would overcome the small torque to the left that results from the rudder/vertical stab being above CoG and start a roll to the right.

If a large rudder input is maintianed with no other control inputs, the plane would slowly at first then more rapidly tend into a right bank, then a spiral dive, in some cases eventually progressing to a full spin.

Ugly_Kid
12-26-2004, 05:21 AM
Initially it is correct. You perform only a side-slip and by keeping the rudder pressed you will begin a side-slip turn which would initially appear as if the opposite/outside wing remains low. Once the turn develops the outside wing starts coming up and at that moment by centering the rudder you're in a turn...

DHC2Pilot
12-28-2004, 12:07 AM
In a properly coordinated turn, you would apply rudder and aileron together (otherwise you are performing a slip maneuver) along with a slight bit of up elevator. The ball in the turn/slip indicator should be centered throughout the turn. In the game it is nearly impossible to do this. The turns just don't seem correct to me at all. The airplane seems to skid around the turns whenever you apply rudder - the outboard wing drops every time. Ughhh.

TX-EcoDragon
12-28-2004, 12:33 AM
What aircraft are you talking about? I have never observed the outside wing dropping. As far as it being hard to properly coordinate I agree that if you attempt to coordinate then you add more issues than you resolve, this is because the sim more or less does auto-coordination so any rudder input does tend to place the aircraft into a skidding attitude. That said I can fly more or less just fine with no ailerons in the sim, using rudder to make skidding turns much as I do in the real world. Judging by your login name I figure you know how things should be, so I figure that it must be something either in your hardware, or perhaps a particular bug introduced recently in an aircraft I haven't yet flown.

In aircraft like the Raven and the Extra I can not really lift a wing with rudder, there is no dihedral and this is a major factor in the wing leveling response, it makes hands off flying tough needless to say! These warbird aircraft certainly should not respond in that way however! I have also found that the sim does not really have much stability about the roll axis and this instability can require rather large amounts of rudder input to counteract. In my experience they do more or less what is expected though.

How about posting a track so we can see what exactly is going on.