PDA

View Full Version : I May Want To Try IL2?

Spity-
02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Hello all,

I am currently playing another WWII Interactive Flight Combat Sim for 3 years now and I'd like to try IL2.

If any of you have played Warbirds/AcesHigh perhaps you know where I am coming from here.

I was hoping to find an IL2 Website and download the latest update of IL2 to give it a try. (Maybe even a 30 day free trial period)

The best I have found is this forum and looking for some help.

There is numerous IL2 Games that can be downloaded all over the net and I tried (1) for 9.99 and it didn't run on my machine.

I have a high end Gaming PC running Vista64 that I built and 24in Flat Panel Monior.

Looking for help on getting into your interactive arenas as efficiently as possible.

Thanks!

Choctaw111
02-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Hello and welcome.
You will find many knowledgeable and friendly people here.
There is a demo for Il2, but it is nearly 10 years old.
You can find a copy of the latest version, Il2-1946, for about 10 dollars US.
I have also played Aces High and Il2 is lightyears ahead of it.
You will NOT regret spending the 10 dollars for this.
Once you get Il2-1946 there are two free patches for it.
I see that you are running Vista.
There are so many people here that can help you with any issues you have with this Operating System.

thefruitbat
02-20-2010, 10:19 AM
hi, as choctaw said, get il2-1946 is the version you want to get, as its the latest and has all of the before content included.

I'm running it on high end gaming pc, on vista 64, with a 24 inch monitor lol, no probs, and it looks amazing.

If you have any problems installing post a question in community help forum, and we'll soon get you up in the air http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Spity-
02-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I already tried the 10 buc demo with no luck.

Is UbiSoft the best place to get the latest download? What is the name of it? 1946?

I also read a thread for nuggets above and it sounds like a pain. Get a CD download then patch 1 then patch 2 etc.... But that may be an old post...Looking for current info.

Thanks!

Spity-
02-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Ok FruitBat Ill start with 1946....Thanks!

Jumoschwanz
02-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I typed this into ebay search: sturmovik 1946,

And got eleven hits ranging in price from nine to thirty some dollars U.S.

thefruitbat
02-20-2010, 10:32 AM
as to where to get it, where are you?

Although some people have got it through steam anyways (although i'd try to get the dvd if i was you)

as to il2-1946, the full name is 'IL-2 Sturmovik 1946' it comes on a dvd and is version 4.07 out of the box so to say, and there has been two patchs since it was released, but they are well worth it adding lots of new content, and you will need them to fly online. They're available in plenty of places, its easy to do, and this will bring you up to current version of 4.09 (although 4.10 is due out in march, the game is still being supported http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif)

Owlsphone
02-20-2010, 10:35 AM
You shouldn't have to pay $10 to try a demo for the game as the full version costs $10 and there is no monthly subscription to play.

Insuber
02-20-2010, 10:57 AM
You can buy and download 1946 from several sites for few $, from direct2drive to ubi to steam. Install it and you will not regret it, if you love WWII sims.

Regards,
Insuber

Aviar
02-20-2010, 11:31 AM
He may already have 1946. In his first post, he says he downloaded an IL-2 game for 9.99 but couldn't get it to run. It's not unusual for first-timers to have problems running a downloaded version of IL-2.

So, don't you think it's a good idea to find out just what version of IL-2 he downloaded and take it from there? He may just need a little help getting it to run.

Aviar

Zeus-cat
02-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Spity-:

Is UbiSoft the best place to get the latest download? What is the name of it? 1946?

I also read a thread for nuggets above and it sounds like a pain. Get a CD download then patch 1 then patch 2 etc.... But that may be an old post...Looking for current info.

Thanks!

It sounds like you already bought the game as it now sells for $10. The demo for the game is free and it is for the original game with a severly restricted plane set. I don't know if it is even still available or where to get it.

All the patches are only required if you plan on playing online. You can play offline with whatever version you have. That said, it is recommended that you get the 1946 version and patch up to the latest version just for all the additional maps and aircraft.

The patches you are referring to have been developed by several third parties. Official support for the game has ended as the developer has moved on to a new project. However, just because IL-2 is old does not mean that it isn't still one of the best flight sims out there.

Spity-
02-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I just am completing the 3.36GB DL for 1946.

So I will have version 4.08.

6hr DL with UBI Download Manager

lol....

thefruitbat
02-20-2010, 05:39 PM
i think that will give you 4.07, but i might be wrong.

anyways, its easy to patch, and you will still want to download either patch 4.08 and 4.09 or just 4.09 depending on what you start with.

when you start the game, on the loading splashscreen, in the bottom left corner it will tell you what version you have.

enjoy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

PS you might want to check out the community help forum for advice on installing on vista 64, but whatever you do don't install it in the program files folder but in the program files(x86) folder, else vista will have a brain fart.

if i recall i used this thread for advice on installing on vista 64 when i did a year ago,

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...9310655/m/1921070116 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/1921070116)

Bearcat99
02-20-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks!

Not an old post.. not a pain either... The DL may be at 4.08 I don't know... After you initially install the sim boot up and look in the lower left corner for red lettering.. it will tell you what version you have. If it says ver 4.07 then you will have to patch to 4.08 then to 4.09.. if it is at 4.08 you will just need 4.09. Well worth the effort.

Toss out what you know about WWII flight sims.. or at least suspend some of it for a while till you get used to this sim because it is different. IMO it has no equal. Warbirds, Aces High, Fighter Ace... do not stand up to this sim.. You are running a high end rig... you will love this.

The Nugget's Guide may seem long and convoluted.. but just about everything you will need to get rolling in this sim is in there.

Spity-
02-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm at version 4.08 with the download so I need the patch to get to the latest update. 4,09?

Setting up my views. I want to be able to "snap to" left view then upon release of hat "snap to" front which is in Warbirds. IL2 slowly moves to left and slowly moves to front. Know what I mean?

I want to get to you guys on the server. Server 21000 is dead. Nothing there. What server are you at?

I have TS2 & 3 now. Where is your server and passwords? Need to talk to you guys.

Thanks!!

Waldo.Pepper
02-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Read these links thoroughly!

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/3181081438 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3181081438)

Then post any questions you may have.

Bearcat99
02-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm at version 4.08 with the download so I need the patch to get to the latest update. 4,09?

Setting up my views. I want to be able to "snap to" left view then upon release of hat "snap to" front which is in Warbirds. IL2 slowly moves to left and slowly moves to front. Know what I mean?

I want to get to you guys on the server. Server 21000 is dead. Nothing there. What server are you at?

I have TS2 & 3 now. Where is your server and passwords? Need to talk to you guys.

Thanks!!

Trust me.. everything you need is in the Nuggets Guide.. What kind of stick do you use? You might want to consider either a TIR or one of those mouse emulation software programs that will let you use your hat as a mouse.. the pan is much smoother.. no snap at all.. Before i used TIT I used the mouse pan on my X-45.. with just one button to snap back to center if I got disoriented.. I don't think the views work the same way in this sim... and yes if you are at 4.08 then patch to 4.09..

Spity-
02-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I have a Saitek X52 Stick System.

Yeah this slow snap is giving me a headache.

Not at 4.09 yet. Just flying around. Engine overheats on a Spit with no WEP ON??

Oh...Can I convert to Inch System? I don't do Metric. Also the Distance Icons. D1 Im use to 100 yrds. It seems I might be in gun range at D30 but that may be D.30 but im not sure if there is a decimal point there. Probably Metric also.

Do you guys have an arena I can get to and type to you in the buffer?

Chopakokov
02-20-2010, 10:50 PM
once you are patched to 4.09m do the small download for Hyperlobby, it brokers hundreds of servers and many have up to 50 players dogfighting at any time. Skies of Fire is my favourite for open cockpit, Skies of Valour for closed cockpit.

Good luck and good hunting.

megalopsuche
02-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah this slow snap is giving me a headache.

If you're coming from Aces High, the viewing system of that game is more friendly to those without track-ir than Il-2. The snap views in Il-2 are painfully slow sometimes.

Don't let it stop you from getting a feel for things though.

Not at 4.09 yet. Just flying around. Engine overheats on a Spit with no WEP ON??

Adjust the radiator with the r key. Get used to not running at full military power before you enter combat.

Oh...Can I convert to Inch System? I don't do Metric. Also the Distance Icons. D1 Im use to 100 yrds. It seems I might be in gun range at D30 but that may be D.30 but im not sure if there is a decimal point there. Probably Metric also.

Not to be an ***, but metric is the system the rest of the world uses. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Yards are close to meters, so it shouldn't too hard for you to figure it out. Distances are in Km, so when you see .35, that means 350 meters.

Do you guys have an arena I can get to and type to you in the buffer?

Again, things are very different from what you are used to. There is no main arena here, but rather a variety of servers that are typically open to the public but privately run. You might be a little disappointed with the settings you find. Many servers tighten up icons before they remove external views (very strange), and be careful of any servers that are "open pit," i.e. avoid them.

Good luck.

Spity-
02-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the help guys..

I am flying around and doing some 1v1. Had to turn off all the engine start/temp tweaks for now.

Yeah I'm pretty much in trouble w/o Tracker IR in here as viewing is everything as you all know. Slow Snaps are just to slow.

~S~ Spity-

ImMoreBetter
02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
There is a way to change to US measurements. I think you want to hit esc and go the the controls, and bind a button to 'Toggle Speed Bar' or something of that sort. Hit it a few times until you get what you want.

And the icon measurement is in KMs (or whatever you have it set to, miles, etc.) So 1.0 would be 1km, 2.0 would be 2km, .5 would be a half Km (500 meters).

thefruitbat
02-21-2010, 04:21 AM
their is a key in controls where you can set 'toggle snap/pan' where it will quicliky snap back, or you can map a key for look forward... I know i used to use snap views rather than pan before i got trackir

i'm pretty sure you can change the speeds in the conf.ini somehow, but i'll have to do a bit of digging for you, as i'v never had to bother, have track ir.

EDIT i think its something to do with the viewset command in the [game] section of the conf.ini.

Also with relating to overheating, on the earlier spits you have to open the radiator manually, only later models have automatic rads.

Erkki_M
02-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Find [Hookview_Config] in the conf and set speed=50 (or some other big value), helps a lot if you use snap views...

thefruitbat
02-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Erkki_M:
Find [Hookview_Config] in the conf and set speed=50 (or some other big value), helps a lot if you use snap views...

i knew you could do it it conf.ini, lol, just didn't know where http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

M_Gunz
02-21-2010, 08:31 AM
I strongly recommend that you get into the Controls page that lets you reassign keys and buttons,
then reset those to fit your HOTAS (stick, throttle, pedals, other goodies) and convenience while
learning what there is to use.

Much of it has no default control and more is set up for simple HOTAS. First thing to do is reassign
keys for throttle, stick and rudder (if you have a twisty stick or pedals) as those are all prime
keyboard real estate so to speak. The number keys used by default for throttle, I moved prop pitch
control there so I don't have to use two keys to control prop pitch since I have a throttle already.
Another good choice for number keys may be mixture but IMO you only need +5%, -5% and full rich for
mixture when you need it at all. But if you have enough HOTAS wheels/sliders then move what you want
to where you want. Arrow keys, I have reassigned to trim functions but also a 4-way hat to the same.

What you are used to, you may also be able set up similar but watch out that things may not work the
exact same as you are used to. Game to game the "control philosophy" (I lack better words) differs,
it is best to learn what is intended than to "make it fit" too rigidly to what you have known.

One of the big ones to deal with is the trim system. I won't pretend it's totally real because with
the hardware base they could not make it so.

Also stick movements. Where you move your joystick is telling the virtual pilot how much strength and
what direction to put on the control stick. Just because your joystick is pulled halfway does not mean
the controls are moved halfway. Your pilot has limited strength of about 50 lbs force from trim center.

Trim is tied to control movements but also be aware you cannot get extra control range by using trim.

What you are used to probably has another way to deal with PC joystick so if this or that seems wrong,
check again that you are doing what you think and best to spend time in practice getting to know this way.

Also --- clear skies and good winds to you!

Spity-
02-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks Guys,

Yes I have assigned all the HOTAS functions to my stick. I have the Saitek 52 and on the throttle side i have all my trim wheels setup.

I'll work on getting the snaps moving quicker.

So far I like the game.

~S~

thefruitbat
02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
there is also a lot of graphical tweaking you can do with this game via the conf.in, rather than the il2setup (which is useless), depending on how good your system is, including running whatever res you want (1920*1200 looks great), widescreen, different effects, beter water, view distance etc etc...

You'll find plenty of info floating around in the community help forum, or just ask.

Spity-
02-21-2010, 01:09 PM
I'd like to get downloads from mission4today website that you have been giving me links to. I get a message that says I dont have access to that website.

Do I need a log/password?

Got the snap speed up so fast now its exactly what i'm use to btw. No IR TRacker yet....

I know I'm probably not on the correct part of the Forum here but hopefully others that are new will see this and follow along. I know one other guy thats going thru the same process with me.

Keep you guys posted and if this thread needs to be moved to another area of the Forum no problems.

~S~

AndyJWest
02-21-2010, 01:19 PM
You'll need to register with M4T to download, but it is well worth doing - lots of goodies on the site.

It's good to see someone new picking the sim up quickly. Some of us have been at it for years and still don't always get it right:
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/ajv00987k/il2fb2010-02-2119-42-30-09.jpg
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/ajv00987k/il2fb2010-02-2119-42-37-39.jpg

Rjel
02-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't have a Trackr either, I use my mouse to control my view movement. To me it's far better than trying to control my views with the hat switch on my joystick.

Spity-
02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
I downloaded the 4.09 Patch. I moved the file to the IL2 folder and double clicked. It wanted to know what program to open it up with?

I tried giving the file a .exe .ini etc.... and it then said try running in X86 or 64 Bit Programs Folder which I did and no luck.

Its a 250 MB file so I'm sure its there.

Any thoughts?

I'm definately at 4.08. This is the 4.09M Patch.

Vista64....

thefruitbat
02-21-2010, 04:31 PM
it should be self executing, mine was. Just double click on it, and then click run, and then point it to your il2 1946 folder.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/ScreenHunter_01Feb212333.jpg

megalopsuche
02-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Erkki_M:

Doh, wish I had known about that before I abandoned the hat-switch.

lokitexas
02-21-2010, 11:27 PM
I just picked up il2 1946 last week from steam after getting bored with wings of prey. Got ultrapack installed and now learning how to fly. Loving it.

To add my 2cents...I wouldn't spend 100 plus on trackir when you can make your own for about 25 bucks. Less if you have a wecam. Do a search for EDITED. Works great in il2, and others from what I have seen. Beats using the hat or mouse.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Before I got my TIR I used the mini stick on my X52 throttle to emulate mouse so I had full view control at my thumb worked a treat until I could afford TIR.

Spity-
02-22-2010, 05:54 PM
OK guys I got 4.09 loaded now.

I had to download 4.09 directly into my IL2 Folder. Then let it copy and relace all files. I was sweating that one but it worked.

Now to getting servers up in Hyperlobby.......

~S~

Spity-
02-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I couldn't get Hyperlobby to recognize where my IL2 executable was so I copied the direct path and entered it. Still doesnt pickup my executable.

Hyperlobby software seems to be running OK.

Read all the instructions.

The only thing I noticed is that the 4.09 that I loaded is actualy 409b1m. The readme files say 409Beta.

Is this the Beta or Final? Did they ever get a Final Release. My Splashscreen says 4.09.

Mission4Today still hasnt sent me a name/password so I cant go there and download.

Any Ideas?

Weird thing has happened with UBISOFT. My windows browser wont let me goto their home page to get downloads. Happened after I downloaded IL2 1946.

Any Help Appreciated with Hyperlobby, correct 4.09 patch and mission4today...

~S~

AndyJWest
02-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Oops! Wrong patch. You've downloaded the beta. Fortunately the final 4.09m patch will install over that ok. I'd get it from M4T.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the Ubisoft home page, but you are better off using M4T - Ubi don't seem to keep things up to date sometimes, but it is probably just a glitch.

Spity-
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
I downloaded and installed the 4.09 patch from 2 different sites not M4T because I cant get access to the site yet.

Both gave me corrupted files when extracting to my IL2 folder.

Error: CRC Failed in fb_maps15.sfs enexpected end of archive.

Can anyone help here. Running Vista64. I've had no problems with IL2 software so far and I am playing the game at the 4.09 Beta Stage.

AndyJWest
02-23-2010, 08:29 PM
That is a pain. I've had problems with downloads myself lately. It could be a problem at your end, but more likely it's the server. I believe that there are download manager packages that can help - better than Internet Explorer or FireFox, anyway. Perhaps someone can recommend one? I'd have another go at M4T though, if possible first. If all else fails, I'm sure we will find a way to get you the patch.

How's the flying going?

AndyJWest
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Further to the above, from the M4T forum, by sjcnospam:

My experience with downloading UP 2.0 files was the following. Used both Firefox and IE8 to download each of these large files. Tried several times. Each time resulted in corrupt files in five of the seven files for UP 2.0. (I don't use torrent.)

Then researched "download managers". (note: many of those sites you get are dangerous so check first with your anti-virus software.) Installed a highly recommended one, "Internet Download Manager" by Tonec. Inc. (30 day free trial and $24.95 purchase). That installed itself nicely into both Firefox and IE8. Then downloaded using that. Voila! No corrupted files! And they downloaded 11% faster than my rated DSL speed too. UP 2.0 installed without difficulty.

This download manager evidently validated the files and corrected the corruptions. I'm sure that there are many download managers that will do this. Whatever IE8 and Firefox do to download is not sufficient, though I have previously had no difficulty with downloads from other sites.

Oh, I switched from 7-ZIP to WinRAR. I think it is better.
(Here: http://mission4today.com/index...ile=viewtopic&t=8655 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=8655))

I quote this in full, so you see his warnings about where you get download managers from. I've not had to use them myself, but they may be worthwhile. Again, perhaps others can add more...

Spity-
02-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah I registered for M4T site access and received nothing so I sent an e-mail to the website. See if that helps.

Flying is going great. I like the feel of the Sim.

It would be nice if you had 1 IL2 Website and click 1 Download button to install.

You are losing alot of potential Pilots who will just give up.

Looks like IL2 isnt really to intested in supporting the SIM from having to piece all this together. Just an opinion from a guy who knows nothin so far.

AndyJWest
02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
I know what you mean. The thing is, though Ubisoft provide us with a forum, we aren't part of their organisation - we're just IL-2 users like you. Unfortunately, their idea of 'technical support' is a bit different from what we'd like to see. To add to the complexity of the situation, the 4.09m patch is provided by outsiders (Team Diadolos), in conjunction with the original producers of the game (1C:Maddox), so I'm not sure that Ubisoft consider it their responsibility to support it beyond pointing people towards this forum. Not an ideal situation. It would be nice if the DVD was updated when new patches came out, so newcomers didn't have to go through downloading at all, but I think the economics of the PC game market make that unlikely.

I'm not sure how many users we are actually loosing, as 4.07 straight from the DVD works well enough - you only really NEED the patches to fly online at HyperLobby etc, though keen off-liners will want all the extras. At least with IL-2 you don't need to be 'online' to fly offline, as a certain nameless air combat sim tried to enforce. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ba5tard5word
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
You should download 4.09m via torrent, it is a lot less likely to be corrupt. Keep trying to register at Mission4Today, it is worth it to have an account there because there is so much good stuff to download.

What I did was install a program called "utorrent" and downloaded 4.09m with it. Just find the 4.09m torrent link, click on download, and you should get a small file called something like 4.09m.exe or whatever. then open that file with utorrent and it will download it, it may take a couple hours though. Then afterwards you can just uninstall utorrent if you don't want it on your computer.

And here is the download page on M4T for the torrent:

http://www.mission4today.com/i...file=details&id=3760 (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3760)

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
For hyperlobby, make sure you have selected the Forgotten Battles room, not il2, that is for the original game from way back, everyone uses the forgotten battles room.

Spity-
02-24-2010, 04:58 PM
LOL......Urufu

I was in IL2 lobby and NO one was in there.

I got 4.09m done. Hyperlobby installed and now i have to get that running.

Oh and my M4T account info was in my SPAM folder of course.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm getting there.

~S~s

Yak-7B
02-25-2010, 05:04 AM
A good place to get files, is from FilePlanet, you can install their Download Manager, it's the same one used for Direct2Drive games, so it's worth installing. Unfortunately they only have v4.08, so someone should ask them to add v4.09. www.fileplanet.com (http://www.fileplanet.com)

A good program for handling archived files, is IZArc, it handles many different extentions, and it's free. www.izarc.org (http://www.izarc.org)